General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Flatbed towing - 02 Firehawk

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2021, 07:36 PM
ek1
Teching In

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Flatbed towing - 02 Firehawk

So....my car does not start (most likely a dead starter). Yes, I tried whacking it (the starter, not the car). The car is sitting in an indoor car storage facility and I need to get it to a mechanic. My car is in a perfect condition and I don't want to damage it while loading/unloading. How do I get it up on a flatbed? I spent a while under the car and I can't find a single place to use as a towing point. I saw some people suggesting to use holes in the k-member, but I think the whole will become deformed and the chain/strip will damage the underside of the front bumper when tensioned. Obviously attaching to control arms is not an option....I like my suspension the way it is now. I also found this https://vorshlag.smugmug.com/Product...cts/i-mTvWQL8/ but it does not seem to be available anymore.

Any ideas?
Old 12-14-2021, 06:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 234 Likes on 185 Posts

Use a tow strap around the K-member under the engine as an "extension" to the winch cable. You can also strap to the rear axle and pull it up backwards.
Old 12-14-2021, 06:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 539 Likes on 386 Posts

When we were towed out in NM due to a flat tire, we had to get a flat bed tow truck from AAA. I told the driver about everything and how difficult it would be. He did attach the cable from underneath the engine area and slowly loaded the T/A onto the truck, even using wood planks to lead it on. Even with all that effort the exhaust tips still scraped underneath. Unloading was about the same at the tire shop. A few scrapes under the tips was not the end of the world for us (can't see it unless under car) on a long 5,600 miles vacation but if your Firehawk is MINT then you really are going to have to be watchful. If we cared enough to wrap the exhaust tips beforehand we may have eliminated the scrapes. Just something to consider ahead of time since you have that luxury of planning ahead. I don't think I would want to tow it from the rear as the front chin spoiler is bound to get it. Good luck!!
The following users liked this post:
wannafbody (01-03-2022)
Old 12-14-2021, 07:14 AM
ek1
Teching In

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
Use a tow strap around the K-member under the engine as an "extension" to the winch cable. You can also strap to the rear axle and pull it up backwards.
Great suggestion, this will ensure the k-member won't get damaged. What about the front bumper? When the winch will start pulling the nose of the car up to get it on the flatbed, won't the strap cut into the underside of the front bumper cover?
Old 12-14-2021, 07:16 AM
ek1
Teching In

Originally Posted by NC01TA
When we were towed out in NM due to a flat tire, we had to get a flat bed tow truck from AAA. I told the driver about everything and how difficult it would be. He did attach the cable from underneath the engine area and slowly loaded the T/A onto the truck, even using wood planks to lead it on. Even with all that effort the exhaust tips still scraped underneath. Unloading was about the same at the tire shop. A few scrapes under the tips was not the end of the world for us (can't see it unless under car) on a long 5,600 miles vacation but if your Firehawk is MINT then you really are going to have to be watchful. If we cared enough to wrap the exhaust tips beforehand we may have eliminated the scrapes. Just something to consider ahead of time since you have that luxury of planning ahead. I don't think I would want to tow it from the rear as the front chin spoiler is bound to get it. Good luck!!
Yeah, scraping is not an option here. I know a company that has trucks with articulating beds that transport super low exotic cards, but it's going to be a project to get Hagerty Roadside assistance to use them.
Old 12-14-2021, 08:24 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 353 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by ek1
So....my car does not start (most likely a dead starter).
Are you sure? Odd that a car in indoor storage would have the starter go bad all of a sudden. More common that the battery would be down on cranking amps, VATs would start acting up, a relay would be bad, etc. (Those other causes are really simple to check for.)
Old 12-14-2021, 08:40 AM
ek1
Teching In

Originally Posted by wssix99
Are you sure? Odd that a car in indoor storage would have the starter go bad all of a sudden. More common that the battery would be down on cranking amps, VATs would start acting up, a relay would be bad, etc. (Those other causes are really simple to check for.)
Apparently it can happen if the car sits for a while and is not started regularly. I already tried starting it with an external battery pack (that works on other V8 cars). A bad relay is an option, but I live an hour away from the storage place, so every time I go there, it's a 3-hour trip. If the car was in my house, I'd have time to play around with it, but now it's about a way to get this done with minimum time and effort on my part.
Old 12-14-2021, 02:26 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,277 Posts

I agree with wssix99. FWIW, mine has sat, unstarted, in dry storage for at least 5-6 months out of every year for the last 23 years and it hasn't lost a starter yet. Relay issues, on the other hand, seems to be more common. Depending on the exact symptoms, I would re-evaluate the situation before considering a tow. I understand that the car is not easy for you to reach, but if the issue is due to a relay then the entire towing experience, and all risks associated with such, can be avoided altogether as that repair could easily be done in your storage unit.
Old 12-14-2021, 09:39 PM
ek1
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I agree with wssix99. FWIW, mine has sat, unstarted, in dry storage for at least 5-6 months out of every year for the last 23 years and it hasn't lost a starter yet. Relay issues, on the other hand, seems to be more common. Depending on the exact symptoms, I would re-evaluate the situation before considering a tow. I understand that the car is not easy for you to reach, but if the issue is due to a relay then the entire towing experience, and all risks associated with such, can be avoided altogether as that repair could easily be done in your storage unit.
RPM - Definitely good advice. The question is - which relays should be checked and what is the exact testing procedure for each? I have a Fluke multimeter, do I need any other tools?
Old 12-15-2021, 01:58 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by ek1
RPM - Definitely good advice. The question is - which relays should be checked and what is the exact testing procedure for each? I have a Fluke multimeter, do I need any other tools?
There is only one relay for the starter, and checking it is really as simple as just temporarily swapping it with one of the fan relays from the other fuse box (both boxes in question are located under the hood and have decals marking which relay is for what; if they are too faded to read, I believe the owner's manual also has a diagram for these). Assuming you don't have a VATS problem (which would trigger a security light, and is not very common on low mileage cars since this issue is usually related to small wires wearing out and breaking due to repeated use of the ignition switch - a side-effect of frequent use), this relay swap would be my first test as it seems to be a more common issue than total starter failure on lower mileage examples - at least in my experience.

More in-depth diagnostics (such as checking for power at the starter) can certainly be done with the multimeter if the relay swap doesn't work, but that is by far the easiest first step.
wannafbody (01-03-2022)
Old 12-15-2021, 08:36 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts

If it should happen to be a VATS problem, it's easy to make an initial diagnosis. If the SECURITY light in the instrument cluster flashes then VATS can't see any key resistor which usually means a broken wire as RPM WS6 has mentioned (assuming your key does actually have the resistor). On the other hand, if the SECURITY light stays on solidly (not just during the bulb test at startup) then VATS sees resistance - just not the correct one to match its programming. On a low mileage car, this is most often due to grime on the key pellet or on the contacts inside the ignition cylinder... just keeping your keys in your pocket can be enough to cause a buildup which may not be immediately obvious. You can clean the key pellet with a pencil eraser followed by rubbing alcohol. The contacts inside the ignition cylinder can be cleaned with some spray electronics cleaner and a pipe cleaner or even a cotton swab (a pipe cleaner is less likely to leave residue).

Since it takes so much time to get to your car, it wouldn't hurt to take along those supplies (and even a spare key if you have one) when you go to try swapping the relay.
Old 12-15-2021, 10:11 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 353 Likes on 322 Posts

BTW - Why are you taking your car out of storage at the start of winter? Is it your snow car?
Old 01-03-2022, 03:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 539 Likes on 386 Posts

Any update???
Old 01-03-2022, 10:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 862 Likes on 658 Posts

When I had my TA loaded on a flatbed last month, the car was facing rearward in the driveway. The tow truck operator needed raceramps to get the car on the flatbed.
Old 01-04-2022, 01:39 PM
ek1
Teching In

Smile

Originally Posted by wssix99
BTW - Why are you taking your car out of storage at the start of winter? Is it your snow car?
This issue actually happened back in September. I drove the car for a few hours to exercise it, came back to the storage facility and parked it. Then the guy that works there asked me to move it closer to the wall, I tried to start it and that was all she wrote. I've been trying to get the damn car started since then, but between work, kids and storage facility being 1+ hour away it's been tough. It's not my winter car by any means , but also keep in mind that "winter' is a subjective term. It was 57F by me a few days ago. I just want to get the issue fixed one way or another and it's turning out the be a pain when the car is dead in the water in a remote facility, which is why I am looking into towing it.
Old 01-04-2022, 01:43 PM
ek1
Teching In

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Any update???
As of now I don't see how I can get the car on the flatbed with zero damage, especially knowing how "caring" and "careful" most tow truck drivers are. I'm trying to find a mechanic (or at least someone knowledgeable) to come out and at least diagnose the starting problem so I can understand what my options are.
NC01TA (01-05-2022)
Old 01-04-2022, 01:45 PM
ek1
Teching In

Originally Posted by wannafbody
When I had my TA loaded on a flatbed last month, the car was facing rearward in the driveway. The tow truck operator needed raceramps to get the car on the flatbed.
How did he drag the car onto the bed? Do you know where exactly where he attached the straps? How did you avoid bumper damage?
Old 01-04-2022, 01:48 PM
ek1
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
If it should happen to be a VATS problem, it's easy to make an initial diagnosis. If the SECURITY light in the instrument cluster flashes then VATS can't see any key resistor which usually means a broken wire as RPM WS6 has mentioned (assuming your key does actually have the resistor). On the other hand, if the SECURITY light stays on solidly (not just during the bulb test at startup) then VATS sees resistance - just not the correct one to match its programming. On a low mileage car, this is most often due to grime on the key pellet or on the contacts inside the ignition cylinder... just keeping your keys in your pocket can be enough to cause a buildup which may not be immediately obvious. You can clean the key pellet with a pencil eraser followed by rubbing alcohol. The contacts inside the ignition cylinder can be cleaned with some spray electronics cleaner and a pipe cleaner or even a cotton swab (a pipe cleaner is less likely to leave residue).

Since it takes so much time to get to your car, it wouldn't hurt to take along those supplies (and even a spare key if you have one) when you go to try swapping the relay.
Doubt it's VATs because the security light goes off a bit after the ignition is turned on and stays off. I checked my key - it looks brand new. Still, I have the second key (that has literally never been used) and will try it just for ***** and giggles next time I go there.
Old 01-04-2022, 02:21 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Make sure to try the relay swap mentioned above on your next trip as well; super simple, rules out one primary possibility and requires no mechanic or tow truck.
wannafbody (01-04-2022)
Old 01-04-2022, 03:26 PM
ek1
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Make sure to try the relay swap mentioned above on your next trip as well; super simple, rules out one primary possibility and requires no mechanic or tow truck.
Yup, first thing on my checklist for the next visit.

I'll also double check all the fuses and re-seat them just in case. I did that in September already, but will do it again just to be sure.

Last edited by ek1; 01-04-2022 at 03:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Flatbed towing - 02 Firehawk