General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: Which option
Fix the heads and slap it back together
66.67%
LS3
33.33%
5.3 with AC turbo kit HURON
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

OPTIONS on which way to go with my build !!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2022, 12:07 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default OPTIONS on which way to go with my build !!

So I have a 99 with PRC 2.5 heads and a tsunami cam. Car made 459/409 - 111k mile SBE. The car currently already has BMR k member, racetronix pump and FIC injectors as well as stainless fuel lines

The other night the pistons decided to kiss a few valves (have eye brow marks on basically all of them) and I’m looking at heaving to redo the heads. Assuming the pistons will be OK

This brings me to my options

1) redo heads $500 plus parts to have them gone through, plus new springs and pushrods. Probably throw a new oil pump and timing chain in it while I’m at it

2) put a LS3 in it with a small cam. Sell my LS1 heads etc

3) Throw a truck motor in it most likely 5.3 with gen 4 rods, do a turbo cam and buy an AC turbo kit.
Can sell my headers, true duals etc.

I might sell the car in a few months down the road so not 100% which way I want to go with it. However adding LS3 or turbo will increase the value as opposed to throwing money at it and it being worth the same amount.

just wanting some insight on what everyone thinks will be my best bet.

see my beautiful pistons below…..

Last edited by z28_YOU_HO; 05-14-2022 at 12:12 AM.
Old 05-14-2022, 06:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 1,008 Posts

Modding cars seldom increases the value. If selling in a few months is the plan, the least number of mod's will help reduce repair expenses and maximum returns when you sell. Fix the heads if serious about selling and skip the additional mod's.
The following 3 users liked this post by 99 Black Bird T/A:
2001ws6ft (05-17-2022), Nathan C (05-14-2022), z28_YOU_HO (05-14-2022)
Old 05-14-2022, 10:47 AM
ModSquad

Received 3,653 Likes on 2,232 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
Modding cars seldom increases the value. If selling in a few months is the plan, the least number of mod's will help reduce repair expenses and maximum returns when you sell. Fix the heads if serious about selling and skip the additional mod's.
I couldn’t agree more with Wade here.
Z28, Going the 5.3 turbo route will cost you double-triple what your expecting and will likely decrease the value of the car. If selling, I’d get the heads repaired, document the process, and send it. You could build a $30k 440 RED sleeved, Mamo top end engine and put in the car, and it still wouldn’t bring a whole lot more money. It’s just the way modding a car is, unless your starting with a platform that brings good money to start with, such as a ‘69 Camaro, ‘70 Chevelle, etc. It’s why a lot of folks part out these F-body’s. The parts are often more valuable than the car itself, unless it’s a really low mile, rare example.
The following users liked this post:
99 Black Bird T/A (05-20-2022)
Old 05-15-2022, 08:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 155 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Che70velle
I couldn’t agree more with Wade here.
Z28, Going the 5.3 turbo route will cost you double-triple what your expecting and will likely decrease the value of the car. If selling, I’d get the heads repaired, document the process, and send it. You could build a $30k 440 RED sleeved, Mamo top end engine and put in the car, and it still wouldn’t bring a whole lot more money. It’s just the way modding a car is, unless your starting with a platform that brings good money to start with, such as a ‘69 Camaro, ‘70 Chevelle, etc. It’s why a lot of folks part out these F-body’s. The parts are often more valuable than the car itself, unless it’s a really low mile, rare example.
Thats what I have. Probably couldn't get more for my car than maybe a few grand over the cost of the engine. Haha
The following users liked this post:
99 Black Bird T/A (05-20-2022)

Quick Reply: OPTIONS on which way to go with my build !!