General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Hello to Everyone, Old Man with a Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2023, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello to Everyone, Old Man with a Question

Hello to Everyone here on this site, I am New Here and just starting out into the LS Engines and Conversions. I apologize if I am on the Wrong Site.

I currently own a 2006 GMC Truck with the LM7 5.3 Vin T in from the Factory all Stock with 260Thousand miles. It is starting to get weak but still running everyday as my Daily Driver.
I acquired the other day a 2010-2011 LC9 Aluminum Long block, Valve relief Cut pistons with 234 Heads. Now for my Question concerning what I am wanting to do:

Can I take the Crankshaft and New Cam from the LM7 series and Install in the LC9 Block. I do know the LM7 is a 3 Bolt Cam and a 24 or 26 Reluctor Wheel where as the LC9 is a 1 Bolt and 58 Reluctor. Other than that Everything else is the Same as far as Specs.
Reason being is I am wanting to Keep with a Mild upgrade cam and Lifters so I can have an Aluminum Engine in my 06 GMC and Plug and Play with the exception of the Exhaust Manifold's due to the Design difference.

If I am missing something Else or have not factored in All the Equation's, PLEASE advise this 60 Year OLD Guy.

Thanks, LIV2CRZ

Last edited by LIV2CRZ; 01-05-2023 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-07-2023, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

You can change only the reluctor wheel. You may have to use an upper timing gear from an ls2 and use the front cam sensor. The later blocks have no place for a rear cam sensor..
Old 01-08-2023, 07:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

yes you can. you will just need a camshaft position sensor conversion harness, a front mount cam sensor timing cover and sensor,LS2 timing gear set as said above, the crank position sensor from your old motor and a new tune. Might be forgetting something but Im sure others will chime in
The following users liked this post:
strutaeng (01-08-2023)
Old 01-08-2023, 09:42 AM
Launching!

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by EDS01SS
yes you can. you will just need a camshaft position sensor conversion harness, a front mount cam sensor timing cover and sensor,LS2 timing gear set as said above, the crank position sensor from your old motor and a new tune. Might be forgetting something but Im sure others will chime in
Agree. I'm building a LQ4 internals (24X crank, late Gen III rods and new pistons) into a L96 block. This is what understand as well after reading around.

The only other thing I remember is the knock sensors one on each side of the engine by the engine mounts on the Gen IV. I've reamed and tapped my block for the Gen III knock sensors (different threads). They also make an extension harness for that.
Old 01-09-2023, 11:17 PM
Teching In

HILROD
Thanks so much for your reply to my Question. I have written this down and will be using this as I get Deeper into my Build
Old 01-09-2023, 11:20 PM
Teching In

EDSO1SS
Thanks for the Reply to my Question, I might be mistaken but I think the Timing cover and Gear from my Original 06 5.3 are the same as the LS2 Setup that you and HILROD spoke of.
Old 01-09-2023, 11:23 PM
Teching In

strutaeng,
Thanks and I am not sure of the Knock sensors myself but I will Defiantly be checking on this as well

Quick Reply: Hello to Everyone, Old Man with a Question