General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Question on LS1 Upgrades: Happy owners, or Not

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2023, 09:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Question on LS1 Upgrades: Happy owners, or Not

Hello,
Recently I have a lot of interest in purchasing an LS1 Camaro. 1998 to 2002, so I have been eyeballing all the classified website.

What I see is a lot of listings with a lot of upgrades, that are expensive and need a lot of work. Takes this one, for example:

Many of them say, like "Only 500 miles since upgrades"

So, why would they be selling?

Do most of these upgrades turn out to be not what they had in mind?
The following users liked this post:
NC01TA (11-30-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 11:10 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,725 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Originally Posted by OddJack
Many of them say, like "Only 500 miles since upgrades"

So, why would they be selling?

Do most of these upgrades turn out to be not what they had in mind?
Could be several different reasons, including what you've mentioned above about the car not being what they hoped it would be, or just being too much of a handful to be used the way they hoped. But it's not always something negative like that. Most heavily modded cars aren't someone's primary transportation, so they don't get driven much and are usually the first thing to be sold if money suddenly gets tight. 500 miles doesn't sound like much, but that's about how much I drive my '98 Z28 in a two year period. This limited use is not because anything is wrong with the car, quite the opposite in fact - it's so nice that I worry about taking it most places so it's nothing more than a toy that really only goes to car shows. Same for my '71 and '74.

Ultimately, I don't think there's any ONE reason why these cars get sold with low mileage on the build. I think what matters more is that you find something to fit your own personal expectations and requirements, keeping in mind that heavily modified cars are usually going to have some quirks that a stock car wouldn't (though even a stock car is likely to have some quirks at this age, since the newest one is over 20 years old). What is your priority with this purchase? Something super reliable to daily drive? Something much faster than stock? A show car? Some combination of these things?
The following 3 users liked this post by RPM WS6:
jmilz28 (12-07-2023), NC01TA (11-30-2023), OddJack (12-01-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 11:51 PM
Launching!

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

I have learned doing this for 40 years (eep!) that rarely do the upgrades meet expectations.

Some stuff does; disc conversions for front, rear sway bars, Delphi steering boxes. But most stuff like cold air kits are a waste of time and money.

That said, I will have a 42K almost OO red 98 Z28 convertible in mint shape for sale soon - only real mod is a Hooker Blackheart dual exhaust.

PM me if interested.
The following 2 users liked this post by Scarebird:
NC01TA (11-30-2023), Y2K_Frenzy (11-30-2023)
Old 11-30-2023, 12:35 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Scarebird
...Some stuff does; disc conversions for front...
Haha...spoken like the true owner of a dinosaur car! I am with you on this, I made the mistake of rebuilding the entire braking system on my '71 to stock specs, which included front drums. Arcing machines are about as easy to find as a rotary dial pay phone around here, so it took me forever to get the shoes hand-sanded to the point of matching braking power side-to-side. It's still not 100% perfect when they get really hot, but I think that has more to do with the questionable quality of the shoe material (of which there was only one option still in production).

Why didn't I do the front disc brake conversion? Great question. I wish I had a great answer!
NC01TA (11-30-2023)
Old 11-30-2023, 08:20 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
...but I think that has more to do with the questionable quality of the shoe material (of which there was only one option still in production)...
You hit it there - when I was still doing the disc conversion we sold quite a few kits to customers that did as you. They did not realise the new shoe materials were rubbish, especial for Fords.
Old 11-30-2023, 08:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

All I know from being on many forums for about the past 10+ years is that there are constant questions about mods and "Why doesn't my car run right?". It really gets silly asking these questions when the owner doesn't even know the full story of what has been done with the car. How can anyone answer? From new Challengers to old Porsches it's always the same thing. These situations end up with far too many unhappy owners.
I'm a 'stock' guy for the most part and never have to wonder what was done to my cars. My strongest suggestion is to buy a 'stock' car and build it yourself. There will be no questions and you will have the personal knowledge of what has been done. Also, and this is important, is the question of abuse. Any car can be abused in any form but the odds sure tilt towards heavily modified machines. Do you really want to lay out serious $$$ and then have a 'money pit' on your hands?
One final thought. I have seen heavily modified cars at car shows and cruise-ins owned by older guys that like to 'show' what they have but don't drive the cars hard at all. Garage kept gems that are waiting for the next owner to enjoy. You would be amazed at how many Hellcat owners there are that have never even attempted to use the '2nd key'. If you can locate one of those modified or high horsepower cars that have never seen the drag strip or perhaps not even 80 mph, that would be sweet! Good luck!!!
The following 4 users liked this post by NC01TA:
jmilz28 (12-07-2023), Nathan C (12-01-2023), Woodylyf767 (11-30-2023), Y2K_Frenzy (11-30-2023)
Old 11-30-2023, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 334 Likes on 245 Posts

If I was to buy a 2002 Camaro with a bunch of mods I would need to see all the receipts for parts. Receipts for the install if not done by the current owner. I would want to see the chassis dyno paper work. All paper work on the machine shop work.
Two things on the first post. Bored LS1. Bored out how much? Next is the 4000 stall TC. How is that going drive?
Just .02.
NC01TA (12-01-2023)
Old 11-30-2023, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Of all of the modifications in the OP the only ones that may free up some horsepower are the intake. Suspension upgrades are nice, but add very little to the performance of the car. Good shocks, good brake pads, not much else needed.

I personally would not touch a car with this many upgrades/mods. You have to ask yourself, why were they done? What did they get out of all that money? It is like someone had a lot of money to spend on bragging rights.They have probably introduced more issues than they hoped to improve.

My stock 2002 aluminum block LS1 is practically bullet proof at 161k miles. Doesn't leak a drop of anything anywhere and burns no oil, maybe 1/2 quart in 1/2 a year. Had it over 150 mph just yesterday.

I would not touch that car with at 10 foot push rod.
The following 2 users liked this post by ghardester:
Nathan C (12-01-2023), Y2K_Frenzy (11-30-2023)
Old 11-30-2023, 04:55 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by ghardester
Of all of the modifications in the OP the only ones that may free up some horsepower are the intake.
What about the heads and cam?
Y2K_Frenzy (11-30-2023)
Old 11-30-2023, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 231 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by ghardester
Of all of the modifications in the OP the only ones that may free up some horsepower are the intake. Suspension upgrades are nice, but add very little to the performance of the car. Good shocks, good brake pads, not much else needed.

I personally would not touch a car with this many upgrades/mods. You have to ask yourself, why were they done? What did they get out of all that money? It is like someone had a lot of money to spend on bragging rights.They have probably introduced more issues than they hoped to improve.

My stock 2002 aluminum block LS1 is practically bullet proof at 161k miles. Doesn't leak a drop of anything anywhere and burns no oil, maybe 1/2 quart in 1/2 a year. Had it over 150 mph just yesterday.

I would not touch that car with at 10 foot push rod.
Why were those mods done? I believe the answer is to not be “slow.” What did he get out of all that money? The answer is an alleged extra 100+ horsepower to the rear tires or so. Is it a smart buy? Eh, probably not. Especially if the seller is asking far above what you would pay for a stock one in similar condition plus what it would cost you to do the same mods. Like if he’s adding another $10k-$15k or whatever to try and recuperate, what he spent on the mods then it’d be a no go for me.

NC01TA (12-01-2023)
Old 12-01-2023, 09:04 PM
Staging Lane

This one:
https://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/d/...693406163.html

CRAZY LOW MILES!! Check out this built 2001 Camaro Z28 with LS1 with upgraded Cam, 243 Heads, LS6 intake, Long tube headers, no cats Tuned on 91.

It probably would worth more without the mods.

I actually called the dealer, they knew nothing about the details.

Or this:

https://shorturl.at/lsvM8
Old 12-01-2023, 09:12 PM
Staging Lane

This one claims 525 HP

https://shorturl.at/svQSU
Old 12-01-2023, 09:54 PM
Staging Lane

Big Block

https://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/d...693326881.html

Old 12-02-2023, 11:58 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 209 Likes on 176 Posts

I see it all the time. Cars with 500 to a few thousand miles after a big build for sale. Why? I'm still not sure I understand it, despite the explanations above.

Everything he lists sounds good. Does the car run right? No telling.

Personally, I look for stock, although external bolt-ons and a tune wouldn't turn me away. Or even a DOD delete on a G8 with a reasonable cam. Any more than that is a no-go.
The following 2 users liked this post by RevGTO:
OddJack (12-03-2023), Y2K_Frenzy (12-03-2023)
Old 12-03-2023, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RevGTO
I see it all the time. Cars with 500 to a few thousand miles after a big build for sale. Why? I'm still not sure I understand it, despite the explanations above.

Everything he lists sounds good. Does the car run right? No telling.

Personally, I look for stock, although external bolt-ons and a tune wouldn't turn me away. Or even a DOD delete on a G8 with a reasonable cam. Any more than that is a no-go.
I agree to what you say.

What would you consider a reasonable Cam? Few examples?
Old 12-07-2023, 12:16 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 209 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by OddJack
I agree to what you say.What would you consider a reasonable Cam? Few examples?
A stock or stockish cam, LS3, LS7, I've seen some people suggest an LS9. There are aftermarket cams that would also fill the bill, like a BTR Stage 1.

My general approach would favor long-term reliability and hence, the ability to use stock valve springs, decent idle and gas mileage, etc.
Y2K_Frenzy (12-07-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 10:00 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RevGTO
A stock or stockish cam, LS3, LS7, I've seen some people suggest an LS9. There are aftermarket cams that would also fill the bill, like a BTR Stage 1.

My general approach would favor long-term reliability and hence, the ability to use stock valve springs, decent idle and gas mileage, etc.
What about this one:

Lingenfelter 74211 LT1 LT4 L98 Camshaft Hydraulic Roller 211 219 .333 .350 112LS

Old 12-07-2023, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 334 Likes on 245 Posts

The only reason to buy a car with lot's of mods is that you are most likely going to pay pennies on the dollar compared to what the previous owner paid for the parts and labor the parts if not installed by previous owner.
The following 2 users liked this post by LS1 TJ:
jmilz28 (12-07-2023), Y2K_Frenzy (12-10-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

If you don't know these cars and mods VERY well, you either need to get someone to go with you that does or go with a low mile, stock car. I think RPMWS6 hit the big reasons and I'll add one:
1. Money got tight
2. The car didn't run quite right and tight money prevented a proper fix
3. It did get fixed but people get tired of messing with them. Particularly, you often need TWO shops for a modified car - one to do "normal" stuff and one to do "hot rod" stuff and be prepared to ping pong back and forth. Unless you have a lift and full tool set, you're still VERY likely to need a shop from time to time.

Even a stock car is going to be showing its age now so if you intend to drive it often, be pickier and be willing to pay more for a good one. A modified car is amazing bang for the buck if the car was built right but you better be ready for the ride. We can all give you a WAG on specific cars but if you don't have someone to help you inspect the car that KNOWS these cars, skip it. Given that you didn't seem to know that the heads and cam are where the power is at ("only mod for power is the intake"), you've got an uphill battle getting to know this car enough to take care of it. If money is tight, skip the heavily modified car...it will take you backwards.
The following 2 users liked this post by jmilz28:
RevGTO (12-08-2023), Y2K_Frenzy (12-08-2023)

Quick Reply: Question on LS1 Upgrades: Happy owners, or Not