General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Blown head gaskets. 4.8L

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2024, 08:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Blown head gaskets. 4.8L

Have a 4.8L that got ran hot very hot It got hot enough to melt a head. So i'm asking if i can reuse the bottom end or is it trash. I've never ran in to this before and don't want to waste my time.
Any insight on this would be appreciated.
The following 2 users liked this post by LSmike9231:
strutaeng (01-10-2024), tracktech (01-11-2024)
Old 01-10-2024, 08:56 AM
Launching!

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by LSmike9231
Have a 4.8L that got ran hot very hot It got hot enough to melt a head. So i'm asking if i can reuse the bottom end or is it trash. I've never ran in to this before and don't want to waste my time.
Any insight on this would be appreciated.
Were the cylinders damaged from the heat? What about the rods? Engine block deck?

I would think the bottom end would be okay (doses it still spun over smoothly with the heads removed?), but you probably won't be able to tell until you closely inspect it. Look for that blue-ish color indicating metal got really hot.

What happened to the engine? Do you know why it overheated? What kind of engine use is this? Stock, modified?

Last edited by strutaeng; 01-10-2024 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-10-2024, 11:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 235 Likes on 174 Posts

Holy **** how hot did you get it? Pull the heads and inspect the block, piston, rods, etc. Run a straight edge across the block and see how it looks. Pictures of damage would be sufficient, im no expert but there alot of experienced guys on here and there going to ask for alot more detail then what you have provided and more then likely they will ask for Pictures of the damage.
Old 01-11-2024, 07:57 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Facing blown head gaskets in a 4.8L engine can be a challenging situation. This issue occurs when the gaskets that seal the cylinder head to the engine block fail, leading to potential problems like overheating and loss of engine performance. In this guide, discover insights into recognizing signs of blown head gaskets in a 4.8L engine and explore possible solutions. Learn about the importance of prompt diagnosis and necessary steps to address this issue, ensuring the health and longevity of your engine.
Old 01-24-2024, 02:22 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,503 Likes on 2,159 Posts

Originally Posted by tracktech
Facing blown head gaskets in a 4.8L engine can be a challenging situation. This issue occurs when the gaskets that seal the cylinder head to the engine block fail, leading to potential problems like overheating and loss of engine performance. In this guide, discover insights into recognizing signs of blown head gaskets in a 4.8L engine and explore possible solutions. Learn about the importance of prompt diagnosis and necessary steps to address this issue, ensuring the health and longevity of your engine.
Oh, ok. Appreciate the info Mr. bot.
The following users liked this post:
Tommy42088 (01-24-2024)
Old 02-01-2024, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

look at the bearings and cylinder bores, check the deck for flatness
Old 02-02-2024, 01:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 561 Likes on 445 Posts

I don't know where you're at, but around here in Michigan, you can get a 4.8 all day for a couple hundred bucks. Why roll the dice? See if you can find another one. Or do one better, and find a 5.3. 88 Monte is spot on with his suggestion to check those items, but if it were me, the time it would take me to pull the pan and clean the decks just to check those things just isn't worth it. Not to mention, if it got that hot you probably scored some cylinders as well. A replacement engine is just too inexpensive to bother with it.
The following users liked this post:
Y2K_Frenzy (02-02-2024)

Quick Reply: Blown head gaskets. 4.8L