General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Interesting project of mine…

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2024, 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Interesting project of mine…

Hey all!

It’s been a while. Still have and driving my LS converted 94 Camaro of 28 years. It has an all aluminum 5.3L with my very old 222/222 .566/.556 112 cam. It’s still to me one of the best sounding cams. Pat G tuned again. It’s a fun project with my recently graduated son and I. We’re sort of restoring it slowly.

With that said, I recently picked up a 1 owner, garage kept 2007 Chevy Express 3500 12 pax van. Being military and my situation with my family requires lots of driving and road trips. With the 3 boys, big dog and oldest boy’s GF on the road with us we needed something a bit bigger.

Interesting story, driving it home after I bought it a check engine light came on. Typical story eh? Well I scanned the codes and the trans was slipping. Took it to AAMCO(never had troubles with these guys and they know how to build GM trans, still rocking my built 4L60E in the Camaro and flat out best transmission I ever had, even over some of the top name high priced builders). Well, knowing me I can’t leave things alone. We did a full on build and a billet 2200 stall tq conv. The previous owner was a standup guy and paid for the rebuild minus the upgrades. Couldn’t ask for such a buying experience. I can’t think of many or any people that would do that.

I honestly can’t believe how much of a pleasure this van is to drive. It really doesn’t feel like a van, more like a truck. Not to mention being a 3500 with 4.10s it drives amazingly smooth. I love I can tow 10,000lbs with it so towing my car projects around will be nice.

I am very tempted to put a LSA supercharger on it! Can you imagine the sound at your feet!😆. Just need to find a cheap one someone ditched for more HP.

Next stop is a Pat G tune in the next few weeks!

On to the fun stuff. Project/Pics are below!

At the previous owners place. Pre buy inspection.

Doing plugs and wires. Brand new AC delco and TR55. Prepping for another Pat G tune. Probably the easiest plugs and wire change of any LS I’ve done at least 🤣

Tires were pretty shot and 8 years old. So I went for aheels and tires, obviously! 20x9s on 265r60. Required slight trim of fiberglass trim piece behind front wheels. I will order two new ones and do a better trim. Not to mention I didn’t trim enough on one side and cracked the fiberglass. I only do thing right so that’s on the way.

Fitment came out great! Took lots of researching to find the right fitment! I was worried!

Loves these wheels. They were my second choice, first choice was backordered 3 months..had more concave look like the ol A Team van! Can’t have my cake and eat it too!

Gutting the van for some kilmat and new carpet. If this was something of value or sentimental it would be a spray coating. I’m not much of a fan of dynamat/kilmat but hey, I was on a quick timeline and needed cheap. Took a power washer to the interior and pulled the AC vents and cleaned. By the time it was done you could eat off the floor, lol.

Kilmat install!

Kilmat finished up! Wouldn’t believe how it really quieted it down. Can almost have a full blown conversation to the back seats from driver seat. My calculations were right, took 2 boxes to cover bottom and sides. I need another half box to do the doors. That’s where the remainder of road noice is but I will tackled that soon as the carpet etc was a priority.

Another shot.

From the back door.

I could not find any passenger carpet for the 3500 express/savana. So weird. Found this new cargo carpet on eBay. I used the old carpet and made the template and went through wit the cuts. I did power wash the old carpet to try and save it. It came out pretty good but decided to removed the foam backing and reuse it with the new carpet. Plus we liked the darker look and obviously helped with the new car smell.

Old carpet after a power wash. Not bad, will keep for a spare and or to get a professional carpet made.

Installing the new.

Old foam backing with the new carpet.

Getting ready for final touches.

Putting the track covers back in with some gorilla glue.

Final product! So much better!

Last edited by turbo; 06-13-2024 at 11:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Nathan C (06-13-2024)
Old 06-15-2024, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 159 Likes on 144 Posts

I'm not a van guy, but you have done a lot of work.
Old 06-15-2024, 09:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nathan C
I'm not a van guy, but you have done a lot of work.
I am not a van guy either! 😆. Why I am going through as much pain as possible to make it not seem like a van. But hey, hauls all the kids, can tow my cars as well if I don’t feel like driving my Ram 2500.

Next up is some reupholstery, a Pat G tune, complete body wrap and figure out how to lower the thing.
The following 2 users liked this post by turbo:
Jake Wade (06-23-2024), Nathan C (06-18-2024)

Quick Reply: Interesting project of mine…