General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Do you Regret Getting/Not Getting T-tops??

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 08:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the t-tops. It does suck when they leak when it rains, but I expected that was coming anyways. But its easy to fix that problem though. And since I live in sunny socal its a fuggin blast to have the tops off even during the warm nights.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I love my t-tops. And I can't believe the number of people that think that hard top cars are more structurally sound. They aren't. Pull the headliner down and EDUCATE yourself. The fourth gen cars were designed from the beginning as t-top cars. That thin film of sheet metal is not adding any strength.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:50 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Darksol
I love my t-tops. And I can't believe the number of people that think that hard top cars are more structurally sound. They aren't. Pull the headliner down and EDUCATE yourself. The fourth gen cars were designed from the beginning as t-top cars. That thin film of sheet metal is not adding any strength.
Have you pulled your own headliner down? I just replaced mine last year and what I saw makes you sound like a dumbass with your "educate" statement. There are two welded support members/braces that run the length of the roof on each side. They are completely absent (of course) on T-top cars. It's true that the thin cap that is placed on top doesn't add strength. It doesn't need to. And it weighs a lot less than thick glass T-tops that are barely attached to the car.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

i had a 00' with T-TOPS and now an 02 with a hardtop and it doesnt bother me at all not having a T-TOP or having one. I would say it would be cool to have a T-TOP on a nice sunny day, but i have no problems at all with my hartop. Pretty happy either way!!
Old 03-31-2010, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TWS
Have you pulled your own headliner down? I just replaced mine last year and what I saw makes you sound like a dumbass with your "educate" statement. There are two welded support members/braces that run the length of the roof on each side. They are completely absent (of course) on T-top cars. It's true that the thin cap that is placed on top doesn't add strength. It doesn't need to. And it weighs a lot less than thick glass T-tops that are barely attached to the car.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...s-topless.html

I question whether those are that strong compared to the bolt that pins into the car with the t-tops.
How heavy do you think a t-top is? Leather vs cloth would most likely make more of a difference than the t-top vs hardtop. Less weight maybe. A lot, hardly. Seems a mod or two agrees with me about the strength.

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Not true. The difference is minimal on a 4th gen, and some say no difference at all. Either way, SFCs are a MUST for any F-body, IMO.

All my 4th gens (owned 3 so far) have been t-top cars. I love 'em, but rarely take them off due to weather (usually it's either too hot or too cold). I never drive the car in the rain so I can't speak on leaks with my particular car, but of the other T-top 4th gens I've been in during the rain, I've never seen one leak. But the owners of these cars took excellent care of them, and kept the seals clean and conditioned; and that makes all the difference.

My 3rd gen was a hard top car though.

However, whether or not I was going to buy a certain car would never come down to t-tops one way or the other, unless that was the ONLY difference.
Originally Posted by 'Trust'
T-tops on 4th gens dont take from the structure of the cars. Pull off your headliner and all you'll see is thin metal in place of where the glass would go. In earlier generation models hardtops were more rigid, but its not an issue with 4th gens.

Last edited by Darksol; 03-31-2010 at 10:24 PM. Reason: sounded to much like a ass
Old 03-31-2010, 10:17 PM
Launching!

This is difficult for me. I love the idea of T-Tops, and cruising around with your exhaust screaming and your music blarring with your shades on, but honestly, absolutely NOTHING beats the clean *** look of a hardtop without all the rubber weatherstripping in the middle of the roof and on the top of the door windows. The weatherstripping bugs the CRAP out of me, and to me, makes the car look a little cheaper.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TWS
I do not like T-tops and I therefore do not like the fact that GM made all LS1 T/A's and waaaaay too many LS1 Camaros with them.

They add weight and take away structural integrity. Therefore to a hardcore performance enthusiast, they are a liability.

Also, sometimes they leak. I also have a negative image of them. Kids like to remove them and cruise around "look at me". Yeah, look at them: They couldn't afford a convertible and are not serious enough about performance to get a hardtop. They are stuck with a compromise.

Two of my Camaros have t-tops and I would be fine if they didn't. I bother to remove them about 2-3 times a year.

I did not read any of this monster thread before replying. So if I re-cover old ground... I don't care.
for me i wanted a convertible without the drawbacks of a convertible. ie i didn't want a soft top that is easily torn with huge blind spots. With t-tops you get the best of both worlds.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:51 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...s-topless.html

I question whether those are that strong compared to the bolt that pins into the car with the t-tops.
How heavy do you think a t-top is? Leather vs cloth would most likely make more of a difference than the t-top vs hardtop. Less weight maybe. A lot, hardly. Seems a mod or two agrees with me about the strength.

Don't get me wrong, it is not a huge difference in weight or stiffness, but the hardtop is superior in both categories. That was the question, so that is my answer.

For most guys it makes no difference, because if they are going to run their T-top car at the track, they immediately (if they are smart) add subframe connectors.

I've been to the track and seen guys launch their car... and launch a T-top a split second later. Whoops. Somebody forgot subframes.

BTW, I am part of the "less is sometimes more" crowd. I dig factory stripper cars for their simplicity and lower weight and I have one of them. I like the cleaner, simpler look of a hardtop 4th gen Camaro compared to it's T-top twin. I also have a fully loaded '01 SS with every bell and whistle (still M6 though) but it's just a cruiser.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TWS
Don't get me wrong, it is not a huge difference in weight or stiffness, but the hardtop is superior in both categories. That was the question, so that is my answer.

For most guys it makes no difference, because if they are going to run their T-top car at the track, they immediately (if they are smart) add subframe connectors.

I've been to the track and seen guys launch their car... and launch a T-top a split second later. Whoops. Somebody forgot subframes.

BTW, I am part of the "less is sometimes more" crowd. I dig factory stripper cars for their simplicity and lower weight and I have one of them. I like the cleaner, simpler look of a hardtop 4th gen Camaro compared to it's T-top twin. I also have a fully loaded '01 SS with every bell and whistle (still M6 though) but it's just a cruiser.
I would wager that hardtop guys use subframe connectors as well. Anything to strengthen a frame. I find the window that pulls from the seals at higher speeds to be more annoying. To be fair I have lost a t-top that was latched on the highway and it was at 65mph. They do seem to take flight at times. As far as the weight goes I don't see how anyone could weight the hardtop compared to the t-tops. BTW TWS nice car.
And I have to add at least the Camaro guys got the option of a stripper model. Trans-Am guys had to get a Formula if they wanted a stripper model.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:27 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

I would wager that hardtop guys use subframe connectors as well. Anything to strengthen a frame. I find the window that pulls from the seals at higher speeds to be more annoying. To be fair I have lost a t-top that was latched on the highway and it was at 65mph. They do seem to take flight at times. As far as the weight goes I don't see how anyone could weight the hardtop compared to the t-tops. BTW TWS nice car.
And I have to add at least the Camaro guys got the option of a stripper model. Trans-Am guys had to get a Formula if they wanted a stripper model.
Yes. My track car is a hardtop, but after a couple years of racing, my sail panel started to get dimples, so I put subframes on it. On a T-top car, I would have needed to do it from the very begining.

Thanks - that car in my sig does have T-tops.

Yeah, Pontiac disappointed me with all LS1 T/A's being T-top. Back in the LT1 era you could get a hardtop T/A. Guys that want a hardtop LS1 T/A are buying Formulas and replacing the nose and rear, etc. etc. to make it into what they want.

I love my stripper '99. Only two options: PS cooler and single CD Monsoon. Nothing more.

BTW. Like the quote in your sig. It reflects some of the SRT-4's that buzz around local meets trying to impress us with their BOVs.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:46 PM
Staging Lane

wasnt their a recall on the sail panel about the glue that gm used not working maybe thats ur issue.. any ways i looked for a hardtop and didnt find one so i found a black z28 a4 ttop and said oh well now after having it i wouldnt get a hard top its nice taking them off at night gives u a different experience.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TWS

BTW. Like the quote in your sig. It reflects some of the SRT-4's that buzz around local meets trying to impress us with their BOVs.
That color is unique. Nice find. And thanks I picked it up in the racing forum I think.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
for me i wanted a convertible without the drawbacks of a convertible. ie i didn't want a soft top that is easily torn with huge blind spots. With t-tops you get the best of both worlds.
1. When would you ever be in a situation to tear a vert top?
2. Blind spots are only present top up, and even then they are not a factor to driving.
3. T-tops are no where near the same as a vert top down from a driving experience standpoint.

I don't mean this in a harsh way but it gets old hearing how ttops are the same as a vert.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

my last two fbodies had ttops. if i buy a 5th gen itll have a sunroof option. i enjoy taking long rides with them off during the summer.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I love them and so do my friends. Especially on my second gen, I wouldn't have got it without them as it just makes the car.

I don't see why people care so much about having a t-top car unless they are race cars. Not trying to call anyone out, I am just saying. I have never heard of the leaking, even in the 80 T/A they didn't leak and neither does my friends 70's Z28. Even if you never use them it's still always nice to have. Just put your shades in and pretend they are not there.

I know that there are cases where they do leak though so that's understandable for those people that actually have that problem.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would not have even considered getting a 4th gen without t-tops. I think that's what the 5th gen is missing. A sunroof just doesn't cut it. Sure a power convertible top is nice when you can put the top down but when it's up it ruins the looks!
Old 04-06-2010, 01:12 AM
11 Second Club

ttops was something i had to have. i would not own a hard top. just a nice feature i enjoy.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:51 PM
11 Second Club

I love my T-tops. After having this car, I will never again have a car that doesn't allow the roof to come off in one way or another.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:30 AM
TECH Regular

My old v6 camaro had a hardtop, just took out the t-tops in the new car last weekend it was awesome.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shiv15
1. When would you ever be in a situation to tear a vert top?
2. Blind spots are only present top up, and even then they are not a factor to driving.
3. T-tops are no where near the same as a vert top down from a driving experience standpoint.

I don't mean this in a harsh way but it gets old hearing how ttops are the same as a vert.
thieves can tear a top pretty easily.

i like the fact my car is a hatchback and doesn't just have a tiny trunk. i'll admit that you are a bit more open in a true convertible but then again thats one of the thing i prefer about a t-top/targa is that you aren't being totally pounded by the wind when the tops are off. I also wanted a T/A and i don't care for the lower level spoiler on the T/A verts.

Quick Reply: Do you Regret Getting/Not Getting T-tops??