General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Do you Regret Getting/Not Getting T-tops??

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 09:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you Regret Getting/Not Getting T-tops??

I'm really close to getting a 4th gen car right now. Looked at 2 last weekend that fell through (both t-top cars) and theres about 3-4 possible ones i'm considering right now. 2 of them have t-tops, the other 2 dont.

When i had my thirdgen, I really didn't mind not having t-tops because all thirdgen t-tops leak and my car was just sooo mint it didnt even matter... But after test driving the 2 4th gens last week and really seeing how they redesigned the t-tops and how awesome it was to have them out, i'm not sure what to do.

I'm just wondering whether t-tops are really all that or if i should just focus on finding the best car for the money... Opinions, comments, and advice appricaited..
Old 06-22-2006, 09:53 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

t-tops are great. they're a hardtop and comes off when you want it to. it adds a lot of value to the car and IMO looks better too. t-tops!
Old 06-22-2006, 09:57 AM
Staging Lane

Pesonally I have really enjoyed my t-tops. I havn't had any leaks or any negative side effects from them.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:58 AM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They look good on one hand. One the other the body is more ridged without t-tops. It's a personal prefrence. They are rare. Just my .02
Old 06-22-2006, 10:06 AM
TECH Regular

I love my t-tops. BTW the car isn't anymore stronger without t-tops. It's all the same frame underneath it.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:09 AM
Staging Lane

I owned a '94 T/A with out T-tops and loved it. but my '02 Formy has T-tops now. I have to say I would have prefered NOT to have T-tops. I like a Fixed Roof type car. I am not really into Convert. or T-tops or sunroofs, but that is my personnal opinion. I've asked my friends what they prefer, and most of them prefer the T-tops over the hardtops, I'm just wierd I guess, LOL! It's just personal preference. However, I can say that both of my 4th Gens DO NOT leak. I do have subframe connectors on both of them. The '02 SFC are weld-ons and the 30th's are bolt-ons.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:11 AM
On The Tree

When I first started looking for an LS1 f-body, I wanted a hardtop. Now I LOVE my t-tops. I have had them off a lot so far this summer and will continue to do so. The only time it has leaked is when I am at slow speeds in a downpour and it is a very minor leak.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AMack
I'm really close to getting a 4th gen car right now. Looked at 2 last weekend that fell through (both t-top cars) and theres about 3-4 possible ones i'm considering right now. 2 of them have t-tops, the other 2 dont.

When i had my thirdgen, I really didn't mind not having t-tops because all thirdgen t-tops leak and my car was just sooo mint it didnt even matter... But after test driving the 2 4th gens last week and really seeing how they redesigned the t-tops and how awesome it was to have them out, i'm not sure what to do.

I'm just wondering whether t-tops are really all that or if i should just focus on finding the best car for the money... Opinions, comments, and advice appricaited..
I have T-tops and I wouldn't change them for the world. A mate has a 97 hard top and by comparison his cabin looks dark where as mine is bright and airy.

They don't leak or creak, which shows that the shell is still very rigid and doesn't "noticeably" suffer because of them.

Plus you get all the great lines/looks of a hard top coupe and the wind in the hair experience of a Convertable.

The do whislte a little (although alot of this is I think due to my "Euro" door mirrows and not the T-tops). Even at 158mph they are fine!!!!

I wouldn't not buy a car without them, but they would be on my list of preferred or wanted options.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't have bought either of my T/A's if they didn't have t-tops. They don't leak at all, they also are great during the spring/summer/fall time.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hard top all the way. When you take half the roof it don't help for the structure of the car.

Hardtops mostly don't leak
Old 06-22-2006, 12:00 PM
10 Second Club

I wouldn't have a hardtop F car. I love the hell out of my t-tops. I lovingly refer to them as "mullet breezers".
Old 06-22-2006, 12:01 PM
TECH Regular

I've gone back and forth about this topic quite a few times, so here are my thoughts.

I originally wanted a t-tops car, but got an awesome deal on an 02 hardtop with very few miles, and jumped on it because other than t-tops, it has everything I want. On those 65 - 80 degree days I wish I had them, but it gets HOT here in the summer, and anything over 85 I need to have the AC on. Also, the black leather gets pretty toasty in the sun, so I couldn't just leave them off when it's hot out. In the end, I still wish I had t-tops, but I'm very satisfied with my hardtop.

When I get a vette, however, it's definitely going to be targa.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have t-tops and have had them out twice. If I could have found my car in a hardtop I would have prefered that but since I had a few things I would not settle on like year, color (I wanted either NBM or Black), Z28 or SS only, 6 speed only, so when I found one that met all my other needs but had t-tops I decided to go for it. Especially since most cars had them anyway. I probably would still be looking today if I had passed
Old 06-22-2006, 01:16 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=ICRAZY6]They look good on one hand. One the other the body is more ridged without t-tops. It's a personal prefrence. They are rare. Just my .02[/QUOTE

they are not rare, so don't let this guy or anyone try to sell you that. i personaly like t tops and it atleast gives you that option to use them, if you get a hard top you lose that.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by coolformula
Hard top all the way. When you take half the roof it don't help for the structure of the car.

Hardtops mostly don't leak
T-tops on 4th gens dont take from the structure of the cars. Pull off your headliner and all you'll see is thin metal in place of where the glass would go. In earlier generation models hardtops were more rigid, but its not an issue with 4th gens.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

hell no! no regrets about the t-tops. I had a small leak for a time, but some clear silicone fixed it, and ive never had a problem again!
Old 06-22-2006, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
... A mate has a 97 hard top and by comparison his cabin looks dark where as mine is bright and airy...
Hmm, never thought of that. Makes sense.

I don't remove my t-tops very often but when I do, I really enjoy it. I like the way the exhaust sounds as well.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:32 PM
Board Certified Idiot

Think of It this Way.. If you dont go With T-TOPS..I am sure there is going to be that Day you want them And WIll Not have.. And Are going to say DAMMIT.. So i say Get them.. Braggin Rights
Old 06-22-2006, 02:35 PM
Banned

I love having a hard top! T/tops are nice sometimes but in the long run bad weather seals, and vandals will ruin the fun!
Old 06-22-2006, 03:00 PM
TECH Resident

Not at all. I love my hardtop

Quick Reply: Do you Regret Getting/Not Getting T-tops??