General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: How Much Do You Love Your F-Body?
1.31%
0.33%
0.65%
0.33%
0.65%
1.63%
6.05%
17.16%
20.42%
51.47%
Voters: 612. You may not vote on this poll

How much do you love your F-body 1-10

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 09:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

I voted a 9/10, would be a ten if it wasn't so expensive at times.

My most good memorable moment in the car is last year when the big high school racing was going on. This one kid beat everyone in school and it was up to me to beat this modded Stang and take the throne and actually it was a huge thing, everyone was excited about it. Well lets just say infront of an audience, the ol' Formula showed who's boss and put me on top which was cool, couldnt let a Ford have that title.

My bad most memorable moment was a couple years ago, I hit the gas too hard, slipped on some black ice and spun that sucker around and around until I jumped up a bank costing me alotta $$$. I look back and laught at it tho.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:34 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MJK
Its suppose to handle/perform in a big,brutal and in your face aggressive manner.

Its the nature of the beast...
Very well put.

Some people talk about how much more refined a Vette is, making it a "better" car than the F-body; but I disagree about them being better. To me, the lack of refinement found in the F-body (that big, brute force factor) as compared to the Vette is part of the fun with these cars, the nature of the beast as you said. When driving an F-body you can feel it's muscle car roots in the overall behavior of the car (much to do with being RWD/solid axle/heavier front), whereas a Vette is more like driving a world class sports car with all the smoothness and refinement that goes with the title. They both satisfy different realms.

Don't get me wrong, I like Vettes too, but they can't quite fill the same position as an F-body. Nor can an F-body fill the position of a Vette. Best bet is just to own them both to achive the full spectrum of performance/enthusiast driving experiances.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd give it an 8, it's nice to be 18 years old and have one of the fastest cars in high school, but the gas sucks, it's a factory dud, and it's gotten me in alittle trouble.

Which brings me to my most memorable moment: an over-ambitious fishtail out of my friends parking lot (in the rain, no less) and into a tree. It was a $2,7XX fix, but I stopped caring. I have a summer job and no financial obligations seeing as how I'm not taking my car to school with me.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Very well put.

Some people talk about how much more refined a Vette is, making it a "better" car than the F-body; but I disagree about them being better.
Well as someone who has actually owned both cars, let me tell you how wrong you are.

To me, the lack of refinement found in the F-body (that big, brute force factor) as compared to the Vette is part of the fun with these cars, the nature of the beast as you said.
Simply put, my F-body was a slug compared to my Vette.

When driving an F-body you can feel it's muscle car roots in the overall behavior of the car (much to do with being RWD/solid axle/heavier front), whereas a Vette is more like driving a world class sports car with all the smoothness and refinement that goes with the title. They both satisfy different realms.
Again I've owned both cars, the F-body handles like a brick. Your statement that the Vette isn't better because the F-body is raw the same thing as saying a 5.0 is a better car than the F-body because it's harder to turn, handles worse, is heavier, and slower. Seriously the f-body is like a slug compared to the Vette.

Don't get me wrong, I like Vettes too, but they can't quite fill the same position as an F-body. Nor can an F-body fill the position of a Vette. Best bet is just to own them both to achive the full spectrum of performance/enthusiast driving experiances.
Don't get me wrong, I've owned both a brand spanking new LS1 F-body and currently a used C5, but the Vette is a better car in every single way, shape, and form. If you can't see that, you are in serious denial. Both are nice cars, and I actually plan on owning another f-body (as well as a C6z), but to say the vette isn't better than the f-body is completely and utterly false in almost every respect.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:05 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Zoltan
Well as someone who has actually owned both cars, let me tell you how wrong you are.

Simply put, my F-body was a slug compared to my Vette.

Again I've owned both cars, the F-body handles like a brick. Your statement that the Vette isn't better because the F-body is raw the same thing as saying a 5.0 is a better car than the F-body because it's harder to turn, handles worse, is heavier, and slower. Seriously the f-body is like a slug compared to the Vette.

Don't get me wrong, I've owned both a brand spanking new LS1 F-body and currently a used C5, but the Vette is a better car in every single way, shape, and form. If you can't see that you are in serious denial. Both are nice cars, and I actually plan on owning another f-body (as well as a C6z), but to say the vette isn't better than the f-body is completely and utterly false in almost every respect.
All in your opinion. Beleive what you will, that's your right. I considered getting a Vette (C5) after I sold my WS6, but after looking at a few and driving one, I found that the car was missing a certain feeling that the F-body gave me.

How can anyone possibile tell anyone else what should feel best to them? Simply put, it's a matter of preference.

Again, I don’t think the Vette and the F-body are directly comparable in terms of handling ability. Obviously the Vette is better suited for that due to it’s overall different design; including weight distribution and the IRS. But those things completely change the way the car behaves in all types of driving, and put them in different categories.

As for simple straight line acceleration, it’s just plain silly to compare an LS1 F-body to an LS6 ZO6, assuming they are both stock. The weight and power difference is enough for anyone to think the F-body feels slow in comparison. On the other hand, try driving a stock ’98 A4 C5 and a stock ’98 A4 Z28 and see if you notice much difference in straight line acceleration. I didn’t.

I'm glad you like your C5, but it's not the end-all of driving. There are other catigories of cars that have their own appeal as well, and if that were untrue then the Corvette would be the only car on the planet.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 06-25-2006 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:48 PM
MJK
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zoltan...You really need to re-read RPM WS6's post...From what I gather from his post,he was NOT putting down the Vettes.In my opinion he was stating how they are in very different categories...One being a muscle car and the other a sports car.As I basically was in my post.

From that,obviously an F-Body is no challenge for the vette in being a sports car..The vette will top the F-body in that category any day.

But,in being a muscle car...A vette really doesn't fit the bill.A muscle car has always been a car that has great power,is affordable and usually doesn't handle as well as a sports car at all.

When you compare a stock vette to a stock F-Body,the power is not that different at all...what you do get for the vette at almost twice the price is a better chassis and suspension that translate into a better handling car...And make better use of the available power.

I have had 3 LS1 F-Bodies (one of which bought new) and have test driven 2 C5s (one 6 speed and one auto)...The power in the C5s really didn't impress me much over the F-body at all...What did impress me was that the cars (C5s)felt soo much tighter and responsive than my F-bodies..Much more sports car like,and not at all like a muscle car...

It boils down to personal taste and of course money (gotta pay that "vette tax" on everything...).Want a Muscle Car or a Sports Car?

Very different cars that shouldn't be compared but,since they both have LS1s...comparisons are unavoidable ...Oh well.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:55 PM
On The Tree

i love mine thiiiiiiiiiiiiisss much
Old 06-25-2006, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Zoltan
Don't get me wrong, I've owned both a brand spanking new LS1 F-body and currently a used C5, but the Vette is a better car in every single way, shape, and form. If you can't see that, you are in serious denial. Both are nice cars, and I actually plan on owning another f-body (as well as a C6z), but to say the vette isn't better than the f-body is completely and utterly false in almost every respect.
How well does your vette do taking your wife and child out for the day? Even you must admit that in at least in that one area the fbody outperforms the vette.

I do like the vette. I liked the C5 better than the C4 but I think the C6 is the best vette of the 3. I have never driven a C1-C3 so naturally I can't comment on those. The vette and fbody are totally different cars and both are great, fun cars but can not really be compared directly to each other IMO.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:35 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MJK
Zoltan...You really need to re-read RPM WS6's post...From what I gather from his post,he was NOT putting down the Vettes.In my opinion he was stating how they are in very different categories...One being a muscle car and the other a sports car.As I basically was in my post.

From that,obviously an F-Body is no challenge for the vette in being a sports car..The vette will top the F-body in that category any day.

But,in being a muscle car...A vette really doesn't fit the bill.A muscle car has always been a car that has great power,is affordable and usually doesn't handle as well as a sports car at all.

When you compare a stock vette to a stock F-Body,the power is not that different at all...what you do get for the vette at almost twice the price is a better chassis and suspension that translate into a better handling car...And make better use of the available power.

I have had 3 LS1 F-Bodies (one of which bought new) and have test driven 2 C5s (one 6 speed and one auto)...The power in the C5s really didn't impress me much over the F-body at all...What did impress me was that the cars (C5s)felt soo much tighter and responsive than my F-bodies..Much more sports car like,and not at all like a muscle car...

It boils down to personal taste and of course money (gotta pay that "vette tax" on everything...).Want a Muscle Car or a Sports Car?

Very different cars that shouldn't be compared but,since they both have LS1s...comparisons are unavoidable ...Oh well.
Exactly.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:48 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

To avoid any confusion, let me state very clearly right now that I have nothing against the Vette; I like them and could easily see myself owning one at some point. I’m not in any way saying that the F-body is a better car overall, I’m just saying that the two cars are from completely different classes and a direct comparison is just not possible IMO. The F-body does a much better job of being a muscle car (has 4 seats, has a solid axle, is more affordable), and the Vette does a much better job of being a sports car (better handling, IRS, 2-seater, more expensive). Which one is “better” is a matter of personal preference and intended useage.

The Corvette is an excellent performance vehicle. But, if the Corvette was the sole and absolute pinnacle of the performance/enthusiast driving/owing experience in every way imaginable, then nobody would own any year Camaros, Firebirds, Mustangs, Chevlles, GTOs, 442s, GS 455s, Grand Nationals, Impala SSs, Chargers, Challengers, Torinos, etc. All these different cars have their own appeal to an individual hobbyist; from appearance, to overall driving experience, to mod-ability, to expected usage, to price range (even though some of the old muscle cars cost far more than newer Vettes).

No question, the Vette is a more expensive car than an F-body, and it shows. It’s also in a different class. But does that make it better? Are you actually getting more dollar for dollar, or are you just getting more because you’re spending more? Is an SL55 a “better” overall car than a C5 ZO6? It’s clearly more expensive and it shows as well. But is it better? Maybe, maybe not. All depends on what factors are most important to you; setting aside the difference in buy-in price, also consider dollar for dollar power & handling, maintenance cost, design differences, personal appearance preference, expected usage, etc. Many things to consider before deciding which car is better to a particular individual.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:21 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

9/10 the car hates to turn, but the smile is huge whenever I nail it in a straht line. sounds good too, almost as good as an lt1 car.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:52 PM
11 Second Club

If not for the 4L60E and torque converter problems I would give it a 9. As is I gave it a 7. It's had one hell of a tough spring.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

9 now b/c i need the tranny fixed!
Old 06-26-2006, 12:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dustin99a4
i love mine thiiiiiiiiiiiiisss much
........ 9/10 ...........
Old 06-26-2006, 10:52 AM
Banned

I gave mine a 10/10.

Why?? Because its everything I wanted and expected in an F-body.

I knew the interior was cheap and that it was going to get subpar fuel economy when I bought it. I also knew it wasn't going to handle like a Miata. Therefore they are not legit complaints.

I love the looks, the power, the interior *design*, having 6-speeds, the sound, and the way it drives.

Cruising along some winding roads on a beautiful day with the T-Tops off is just plain awesome
Old 06-26-2006, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

0 trouble, 2 minor breaks that were not factory stuff (2 valvesprings) (ABS recluctor ring in the 12 bolt) other than that..........I love my car and it will never be sold. 10 x 10 for me!!

The best memory was waiting for it to be built, track the rail car it was in on the train........and calling the dealer to tell them what time it was going to be at the rail yard.....and of course the night I snuck to the dealer to see it before they called me to say it was in.

The worst memory...............there was none other than the night my fiance duped me after he broke my clutch telling me I now had Stage II heads on it after it was sitting at the track broken.

It's all good tho
Old 06-26-2006, 11:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

I really miss my old SS even though I wouldnt trade it for the car I have now.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:48 PM
TECH Regular

I gave mine an 8 for the following reasons:

Cons:
- general rattles
- power windows are pretty damn slow
- too-long doors
- withs subs, trunk doesn't hold a golf bag, and definitely not a hockey bag
- headlights BLOW
- cheap feeling turn signal stalk with shitty cc placement
- giant, impossible to clean windshield

Pros:
- fastest car I've owned so far
- looks and sounds good
- a/c works very well

I know it seems like a lot of gripes, but they're always easier to see and describe than all the things I love about the car. Hopefully, some of them will be cleared up when I get a C6 a few years down the road.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:58 PM
Launching!

9/10 If I had an endless supply of money for mods my vote would have been a 10
Old 06-26-2006, 02:17 PM
TECH Veteran

</lurk>
I love the LS1 with my whole body (including my peepee).
<lurk>