General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

My t-tops pulled James Bond...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 01:11 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ouch, I know that feeling. I lost a top on my old six cylinder, driving down the highway and I heard that terrible shatter behind me. I'm still not sure as to how the hell it came undone, it was raining all day, so I know it wasn't unlatched, well, I guess it was...
Old 07-23-2006, 01:52 PM
Staging Lane

I lost my drivers side two days after I bought the car. Had put them backon a couple of times that day and then the last time I time I put them at the parking lot where me and my friends hang out a gal with a firebird was telling about how another aquaintance of ours had lost both his off of his camaro. Approximatley 5 minutes later getting on to I-69 south bound I kicked down, got up to about 70mph, went under the overpass when a vaccum sound ensued, followed by wind rushing past my head. I watched as the t-top flew roughly 50-60 feet in the air, give or take I was a little histarical, then land INTACT mind you, the middle of the highway. I slam on the brakes park on the side of the road and start running back to my top, when low and behold what's coming toward me count'em; 1,2,3 semis. I surmised that yes I can reach the top but after that I can't make it back in time, so I watched as 54 wheels ran over my t-top and shattered it into tiny little bits. This was at 1:20am, I had to be at work at 2:00am, it was a rough day at the office.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:08 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 209 Likes on 176 Posts

They can fly off when even when securely latched but not locked - happened to me. Don't just latch 'em, lock 'em.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:07 AM
Launching!

my friend HANDS me the ttop, i latch it on
Old 07-27-2006, 01:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

I popped off a T-Top at 50 mph and the sucker flew through the air like a kite. When it landed it rolled and amazingly didn't break or even damage the outer visible part of it. The part that goes on the inside had some serious "weight reduction" done to it though.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:49 PM
Launching!

ahh no worry I dont have t-tops! But wow it was funny when I saw my dads hardtop for his vette all scratched!
Old 08-09-2006, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stevensLS1
but i never let anyone put my t-tops on.
Originally Posted by KrazyDan
That sucks man....Nobody but myself have touched my t-tops
It takes all of an extra 10 seconds to install both tops as opposed to just one. Hard lesson learned dude but, always do it yourself. Nobody cares about your car as much as you do.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

that sucks man. i know a guy who was test driving a mid nineties chameleon t/a...sharp car...he was driving down the highway and then all the sudden his passenger side ttop went bye bye and busted behind him...he picked it up and took it back to the guy he was test driving from. the guy's face went white and he said "oh ****, i forgot to clamp that one down...it was 97 so there werent that many to be found...the guy paid something like 966 for a new ttop. expensive as hell. my buddy bought the car though to finish the story off.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:23 PM
Import Patrol

Something similar happened to me. My GF put them on, while I was doing something else. And then we drove to a friends house about 20miles away. Later that day, I found out she did not lock em. I drove 20miles with them not closed. I counted my blessings that they did not fly off!

Quick Reply: My t-tops pulled James Bond...