General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: Do you DD your F-body?
Yes
75.79%
No
24.21%
Voters: 636. You may not vote on this poll

Do you Daily Drive your F-Body?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Daily driver except for the winter. I have a truck for then.

No disrespect to the non-daily drivers but the argument that the daily drivers won't last as long is bogus. It's not hard to get a car re-painted, engine rebuilt, etc.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Mine was a DD for about a year, now I use it on my days off only. I cant afford to leave it out in the crazy west texas weather.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:13 AM
Launching!

I DD dive mine. I have to its teh only vehicle I have. I put on about 200miles a week. Its all highway miles so it doesnt bother me so much, if it was all city driving there is no way I would drive my WS6, especially with a M6.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

DD driver here too but only until i find a honda cheap enough...but I only drive about 40 miles a week until school starts again
Old 07-03-2006, 11:22 AM
Teching In

I drive mine everywhere i go. well i have to i'm only 17 and its my only car but even if i had another car i would still drive the trans am all the time.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:32 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Dal1as
No disrespect to the non-daily drivers but the argument that the daily drivers won't last as long is bogus. It's not hard to get a car re-painted, engine rebuilt, etc.
Restoring a car is not always that easy. You are at the mercy of the aftermarket, hoping that reproduction parts will be available once all the factory NOS stuff is gone.

I have a friend that was restoring a 3rd gen. He's had a hell of a time getting certain parts. Many interior and trim parts, emblems, etc., he was not able to get, and just had to settle for whatever the best junk yard or e-bay parts were. Body panel availability is also an issue with those cars.

If you never let the car get to the point where it needs a restoration, then you never have to face these issues. And beleive me, unless the car is hugely popular many years down the road, you will face issues where you can't get certain parts.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 07-03-2006 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:34 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Be serious! In 30 years there are going to be so many people on the road you would never take it out for a drive... if there is even affordable gas.
Sounds like what people said in 1973.

Looks like they were wrong too.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

my SS is my DD also, but only until i buy a little honda to save gas . . . . . car or bike
Old 07-03-2006, 12:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Sounds like what people said in 1973.

Looks like they were wrong too.
I never said there wasn't going to be gas. Just said less affordable. Think about it. Supply and demand.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:49 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

I never said there wasn't going to be gas. Just said less affordable. Think about it. Supply and demand.
Affordability is not really a concern for a car that gets driven about 1,000 miles per year.

1000 miles/year is roughly 4 full tanks of gas. Assuming you buy 15 gallons to fill the tank, and even if gas price triples in the next 30 years, that'd be:

15 gallons X $10/gallon = $150 per tank, X 4 tanks = $600 per year. Still affordable for weekend cruising, IMO.

Personally, I think that gas demand will decrease as the popularity of hybrid cars increase over the coming years. That should stabilize prices some....

Of course, anything can happen, no question. The world could end tomorrow and I would regret not driving my car more. But if I was going to live every day like it was my last, then I'd be unemployed and about $300,000 in debt.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

3-4 days a week i try to get mine out. used to be Daily driven for 2 yrs until i moved and now have bumper to bumper traffic every morning and rather not go threw all that with the car . i got a beater for that and for the winter. if its bad out for a while i do get withdrawls though and just drive it to work so i can drive it .
Old 07-03-2006, 01:31 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry, I have a company truck that I have to drive. My G/F drives an eclipse everyday! So both of the F-body's spend ALOT of time in the garage!
Old 07-03-2006, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Restoring a car is not always that easy. You are at the mercy of the aftermarket, hoping that reproduction parts will be available once all the factory NOS stuff is gone.

I have a friend that was restoring a 3rd gen. He's had a hell of a time getting certain parts. Many interior and trim parts, emblems, etc., he was not able to get, and just had to settle for whatever the best junk yard or e-bay parts were. Body panel availability is also an issue with those cars.

If you never let the car get to the point where it needs a restoration, then you never have to face these issues. And beleive me, unless the car is hugely popular many years down the road, you will face issues where you can't get certain parts.
Well I was mainly talking about paint and mechanical work. Sure trying to replace missing or damaged panels could be an issue but it's not that hard to get someone who works with fiberglass and such to make new ones. Hell look at the work some of these guys do with there systems.

I got my car for fun. I'm not going to lock it in the garage and let it rot. Hell not driving a car is actually just as bad as driving it when it comes to wear and tear on certain systems. When the time comes to get the engine rebuilt or such it will become a weekend car and some sort of turbo built 427 will be dropped in. When the rock chips start to add up I'll get it painted. If a part is hard to find I'll have it replicated. I guess that's just how I see it. I respect, just don't understand why someone would buy such a car and lock it away.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:13 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Dal1as
Well I was mainly talking about paint and mechanical work. Sure trying to replace missing or damaged panels could be an issue but it's not that hard to get someone who works with fiberglass and such to make new ones. Hell look at the work some of these guys do with there systems.

I got my car for fun. I'm not going to lock it in the garage and let it rot. Hell not driving a car is actually just as bad as driving it when it comes to wear and tear on certain systems. When the time comes to get the engine rebuilt or such it will become a weekend car and some sort of turbo built 427 will be dropped in. When the rock chips start to add up I'll get it painted. If a part is hard to find I'll have it replicated. I guess that's just how I see it. I respect, just don't understand why someone would buy such a car and lock it away.
I think the hardest to replace parts would/will be interior components, exterior trim (moldings, window trim, etc.), and lenses. Lenses are always hard to get, because they tend to get damaged/broken before other parts do.

You are correct, not driving the car at all is in fact bad for it. Some people store a car for 10 years and never run the motor or move the thing at all. That is bad. There is a big difference between just buying a car and letting it sit in a pole barn for 30 years with the factory gas still in the tank, and properly caring for a car that will see limited use. I do the latter.

I drive the car every couple weeks for a decently long cruise; long enough to get everything fully warmed up and circulated, and give the steering/suspension a workout. I use fuel system treatment to keep water from damaging the fuel system and keep the gas fresh. Fluids are changed regularly (synthetic oil twice per year, coolant once per year, and brake/PS/trans/diff fluids every so often). I keep a tub of Damp-Rid inside the car to absorb excess mositure so the interior smells fresh. I keep rubber floor covering under the car to block mositure from attacking the undercarrige. I keep the car covered to avoid dust build-up.

I don't think anything is being hurt or deteriorating quicker than if driven daily following my method.

And I agree. I bought my car for fun as well, which is why I only take it out when I plan to have fun with it. Driving around in a snow storm or heavy rain in Chicago rush hour traffic is not fun, no matter what car you're driving.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't let inflation fool you.

http://georgereisman.com/blog/2006/0..._10.html#links

Gas is actually getting cheaper. We're just having our money stolen by inflation. Yeah, I know, six of one...
Old 07-03-2006, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

12,900 miles on my '02 Z28. Obviously not a daily driver. Garage kept. I love driving it but I didn't buy it for transportation, I bought it for recreation (I drive my Truck to work). If I get a Corvette it will be treated exactly the same.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:26 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Black Z/28
...I love driving it but I didn't buy it for transportation, I bought it for recreation...
That sentance perfectly sums up what I've been trying to say in this thread. Some of us buy these cars primarily as transportation that just happens to be fun as well, and some of us buy them as additional cars strictly for recreation. But either way, we all love 'em and have fun using them for whatever we intended. Race, show, cruise, daily driver, or a combo of any of the above.

As long as you're having fun with it doing whatever it is you want to do, that's all that matters.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:37 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Mine was my DD for the first five years I owned it. Now that I have the Silverado, it's only driven about once-a-week & on nice weekends.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:57 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I daily drive my GTO.. my F-bodies are weekends only.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:00 PM
TECH Resident

How's the goat treating you Evyl?