General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

How to convince parents to let a 17 y/o buy a LS1

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 12:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the first time you get a ticket in that car insurance is going to go through the roof good luck
Old 01-07-2007, 01:11 PM
12 Second Club

You could always do the wait until youre 18 and buy whatever you want thing!!!
Old 01-07-2007, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

ya the cop let me off easy since my dad talked to him and convinced him the conditions were bad even though he said any speed you can get ticket because you are going to fast for the conditions.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:50 AM
Teching In

Try for it man, I had my liscense for a little over a year when i got my ls1. In the rain its not that bad, yeah the snow sucks, but as long as its not like coming down hard just be careful. I'm only 17 and ive never lost control of my car unless it was on purpose.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:09 AM
11 Second Club

This guy was in denial.

He raced the car within the first few days up to 140 according to another thread I read a while back, he's torn the transmission out of it, and won't pay to have it fixed right.. and basically has put himself into the exact situation everyone warned here.

This guy was in denial when he was posting all this ****. Lesson to parents on here.. do not trust your kid when it comes to something that can take his life.

Josh
Old 01-24-2007, 03:09 AM
On The Tree

you just have to convince yourself that you still WON'T be cool if you get a ls1
Old 01-24-2007, 04:07 AM
On The Tree

I would never buy my child a high HP car. I have a son that bought an LT1 back in the 90s and destroyed it. My daughter, I bought her a Cavalier and she rolled it
Old 01-24-2007, 09:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Die evil thread!

"this thread"
Old 02-03-2007, 03:18 PM
On The Tree

I agree, even though they beat the Chiefs in the playoffs...Dicks
Old 02-03-2007, 06:25 PM
12 Second Club

man i dont knwo i know you probaly love this cars like all of us but i have seen to many of my friends get these cars for the first car and abosutly kill them .my friend mark got a 99 trans am with ,Slp headers ,373 gear 2000 stall convertor and dyno tune for his first car ,,needles to say he has wrecked 3-4 times that i know of .not saying you will but you get cocky after a few days of driving and thats when the accidents happen .If you do get it man please be carful and drive normal for AT LEAST 1 month to get a fell for the car
Old 03-05-2007, 12:56 PM
Teching In

Ill tell you how i got mine at 18 I told them it was either a ls1 or a bike n they chose the ls1
Old 02-19-2015, 11:35 AM
Teching In

Default How I Convinced My Parents

I know this thread is long dead but I am currently in the same predicament as the fine lad who was trying to convince his parents to buy a Camaro or whatnot...something with a lot of horsepower. My parents are oppposed to the idea of letting me buy a sports car for they fear I will end up killing myslef in it. Rather than bicker with them incessantly for several months I have left the matter untouched and done lots of research. For anyone else redirect to this thread with similar problems, I hope that my essay, with chnages and editing on your part, will be a usefull asset to convince your parents to let you buy a powerful car. I have yet to show this to my parents buy will post an update on how it goes. Feel free to respond to this thread as I would like to hear how your luck goes. The essay is as follows:
Old 02-19-2015, 11:36 AM
Teching In

Default The Essay

My Only Desire

It may seem quite illogical that I would like to spend all my life savings to buy a car, but that is exactly what I would like to do. Of course, there are many good reasons why I should not buy a car. However, this isn't just any old car, this is a car which I have been ogling over for the past several months. I have money available, but I want you to help me decide whether this is a good way to spend it. I hope that you can work with me to decide whether this car is a good purchase.

Any and Every Possible Reason Why I Shouldn't Get A Camaro

The car is unsafe
The car is too old
The car is too fast
Insurance will be crazy expensive
You'll kill yourself
You'll kill someone else
It's too loud
People will judge me based on what I'm driving <------- Mrs. (parents friend trying to help me)
You're not mature enough
Gas is too expensive
Speeding tickets (and insurance)
You already have a perfectly good car

Refute

Yes, I will admit it, the Camaro is fast. There's no two ways about it. Having talked about the car with Mr. (Car selller) for a long time I was hoping it would be super duper fast...however, being inexperienced as I am, I had no clue just how fast FAST meant. I fell in love with the car for what I thought it was going to be, "fast", loud, vintage and with a big engine. While the car defiantly lived up to my expectations in some regards, and even surpassed them, the area which most disappointed me was its power. I'm sure you're thinking right now, "How could (my name) possibly not think 350hp is not enough? That's more than we're comfortable with!" However, I am disappointed for the opposite reason. I believe the car has too much power. This doesn't discourage me from being able to handle the car and control my speed, but I know it will be a harder sell to you guys, my parents. I really do like this car. This isn't just some whimsical desire but something I have researched and studied long and hard for the past couple months. Yes, it may seem silly to spend a lot, or all, of my money on a car, but cars are something which really spark my interest. Simply, I love driving. There is a difference between picking out your own car and being handed down a different, but equally wonderful, car.
Now I would like to address some of the issues which I believe concern you the most, in order of greatest magnitude. One of your greatest reservations, I believe, to letting me buy the car is that you think either a.) It is unsafe in itself or b.) I will drive it unsafely. In answer to the first concern: No, the 4th generation Camaro is built with several safety features to keep me safe in the case of an accident. The car is equipped with 4-wheel ABS as well as passenger and driver airbags. On top of these features the 4th generation Camaro was built with integrated crumble zones in order to dissipate energy away from the driver, me. In addition to the five star rating for front and rear collisions by the NHTSA, Mr. Legg's Camaro is fitted with a stronger chassis in order to maintain integrity of the vehicle. In answer to the second, and more important question: No, as well. I understand driving a car is a huge responsibility, both from you and the state, and is not to be taken lightly. Recently, however, I made a mistake. I received a ticket for driving over the designated speed limit. While this action could easily show a trend of lacking responsibility and dangerous driving, I hope this is not how you interpret it. I have learned a lot from my mistake. There is nothing which makes speeding right, but what I learned from my experience is that I'm not invincible and I will get caught for every little thing I do. As it is often said, "It is not how we make mistakes, but how we correct them that define us". Looking at my record, I have not always made the right decisions; What I believe I have done right is fix my mistakes. Having received an opportunity to examine the path of my actions, I have gained insight into how to make the right decisions when driving a car and the responsibility it takes to drive a car like the Camaro (this doesn't fit anywhere but I want to say, "With great horsepower comes great responsibility).
In a perfect scenario, I could only hope that you believe the facade which I have built up. Because once you agree to let me buy the car I will immediately go joy riding, burning the rubber straight off the tires and causing mayhem on the streets...Not. Obviously there will be some reservations here. As an old military saying goes, "Trust, but verify." It wouldn't be a smart move on either of our parts to give me the keys to a supped up Chevrolet Camaro, regardless the outcome. There are too many things which could possibly go wrong. I believe the most logical solution to this problem is a GPS tracker. There are many functions of a GPS tracker which makes it suited to our predicament. Most importantly, it sends a email or text message alert to your phone when a set speed is surpassed. This will give you the peace of mind that I am not driving dangerously and also keep me in check. There are many other functions monitored by this tracker, including but not limited to: Geofencing, motion activation, reports on frequent visits and a whole database of driving information. Not only would this be a good investment for me but one that can be used to make sure the girls are also safe. Having done a lot of research, I have not found a GPS tracker with better capabilities than that of the Spark Nano 4.0 GPS Tracker by Brockhouse Security. As this is a decision which concerns you more the decision is obviously yours to make, but I hope this is a viable compromise that we can make.
At this point, the most important thing is trying to get you on board to help me decide whether buying the Camaro is a good choice. If you are still willing to listen to as I go on we are doing good. The next important manner probably has to do with the cost of the car and things associated with it (ie. insurance). As we all already know, I have a wonderful car. I truly couldn't ask for a better first car, a Mercedes at that! However, I believe the Mercedes has seen better days. While the Mercedes has not let me down once, and still manages to get my head bobbing with the booming subwoofers you allowed me to install (thank you so much), there is no telling when the next $1000 repair will happen. Just the other month we spent $1109.90 on various "minor" repairs, I have the history when you want to see. On top of that, there's no telling how much a repair is going to be when the engine belts finally wear out, and it's bound to happen sometime soon. I'm sorry I'm slamming my car right now but I don't want it to be the source of wealth for the car repair men. Obviously, this ties into what we should do if you allow me to buy a Camaro. Honestly, I could care less what happens to the Mercedes if I get the Camaro but I realize that's not how this works. Looking at the long picture, we have to decide what we want to do with the car; a.) Do we want to keep it as a backup vehicle for me when I'm not driving the Camaro and give it to the girls as their car or b.) Do we want to get rid of it because we think it'll be going down soon? I believe either option is fine but it comes down to what you think is best. While you may consider this an issue in letting me buy the Camaro, it is better we address it now rather than wait until it becomes a problem (or doesn't, who knows). Whether we sell the Benz or not, I still fully intend to use my own money to buy the Camaro. By doing so I'm taking full responsibility of the care and maintenance of my vehicle, and am not simply looking to take advantage of you, my amazing parents. Unfortunately, my money will only reach so far. At this point, if you are actually willing to let me buy the vehicle (on account of the many hours of well founded research and thousands of dollars spent sending me to school so I could learn rhetorics), I am sure we can come up with a compromise. You would match my money as long as I was dedicated to get a paying job over the summer or do various other requirements in exchange (ie. good grades, good SAT, good behavior, volunteering). Additionally, insurance is another hassle to add to the package. While there will be a premium for a teenage driver in pony car, I am willing to pay the difference in insurance (or work it off as stated previously). Fortunately (and unfortunately), one thing we are not taking advantage of is a "good student bonus" which will give significant discounts to my insurance.
Now comes the bits and pieces The car is too loud, people will judge you for driving a Camaro, girls won't like it, it's green, etc... To those I respond, "I really don't care what others think" (Except for the sound. As the muffler noise could actually be a problem that is something which can be turned off to sound more quite as needed). I'm buying this car not to impress other people but because I like the car for what it is; It is the same as when you pulled up to the dealership 20 years ago and bought the Pathfinder for sticker price, exactly because THAT was the car you wanted; Or when you finally bought the car of your childhood dreams, the Chevrolet Corvette. It's the same for me. This is something that I'm passionate about.
I think by now it is safe to say that this is a desire I am full-heartily intent on pursuing. If you can still cross your arms and say "there is no way we are letting you buy a Camaro," you have failed me as understanding parents. I have dedicated a lot of time and effort and heart and sweat and tears into this decision. At this point all I am asking is that you support me in my decision, and help guide me along the way. Thank you so much for everything. You truly are wonderful parents, no matter what the outcome.

I Love You,
My name
Old 02-19-2015, 12:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

wow to that post ^^

wonder if OP ever got his car is driving a silly honduh even at 25.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 02-19-2015, 07:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lizardboy24
I know this thread is long dead but I am currently in the same predicament as the fine lad who was trying to convince his parents to buy a Camaro or whatnot...something with a lot of horsepower. My parents are oppposed to the idea of letting me buy a sports car for they fear I will end up killing myslef in it. Rather than bicker with them incessantly for several months I have left the matter untouched and done lots of research. For anyone else redirect to this thread with similar problems, I hope that my essay, with chnages and editing on your part, will be a usefull asset to convince your parents to let you buy a powerful car. I have yet to show this to my parents buy will post an update on how it goes. Feel free to respond to this thread as I would like to hear how your luck goes. The essay is as follows:
The facts are the facts kid, There is 20 pages of comments about why its a bad idea for a young new driver. Trying to get us on your side isn't going to help out with your parents, as you get older you will learn that in most cases your parents do know best. I am 30yrs old so I feel I know what I am talking about, my first car was a 85 Regal with a 110hp 3.8 V6 and I got myself in plenty of trouble with that car that couldn't even get over 90mph downhill with a hurricane behind it. Beat it, wrecked it, got in trouble with it etc.

My parents were gear heads, They know what young kids do in cars and did it themselves. Now that I am older, I get it and understand what they were talking about being a dad myself. My son is 10 and wants a Camaro as his first car already and I have a huge issue with that even though I race and build cars myself and in most cases he is there with me.

And to your essay, you forgot gas mileage since the 4th gen isn't bad for what it is...
Old 02-19-2015, 08:01 PM
Staging Lane

Geez...you've got to feel kind of sorry for these kids these days.

I had two BBC cars before I went to college.

I drove a my 70 BBC Chevelle (#3) all the way through college.

Hang in there young bucks...life gets better!!!

Cowpunk
Old 02-19-2015, 08:28 PM
TECH Resident

Move out of their house and buy it with your own money. That's how you'd do it.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:01 PM
Staging Lane

Im sorry you all have such troubles trying to get permission to buy a 4th gen. My dad and i both saw my trans am on craigslist and he only asked me when i wanted to go. I had also had a 99 firebird at this time. I bought both of these cars at 14/15 (permit at 16 license at 16.5 here) with my own money and have had never gotten myself into trouble. Im 17 now 18 this summer and zero tickets zero accidents. People always comment to my parents "you let a 16 year old drive a sports car?!!?". Well the issue is not in the car it is how mature the driver is. I still get on the car and have fun with it now and then but there is a time and a place. To say it straight, just don't be stupid with the car.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Get something else. Overall I've seen too many kids get cocky in their first car regardless of type and get hurt or total it out.

Get an old beater and you won't be heartbroken when you see it on the back of a wrecker.

Quick Reply: How to convince parents to let a 17 y/o buy a LS1