General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

what is it worth???? this is NOT a for sale ad!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what is it worth???? this is NOT a for sale ad!!!!

So a few days ago, my Camaro was crushed by a tree and power poll. WHen i say crushed, i mean that a lighting bolt hit the tree and fell on the hood of my car stoping me in my tracks at about 50 mph.

well, it hasn't been confirmed,but looking at the car, it is inevitable that it will be totaled

now i know that kbb says one thing, but they always sell higher than the kbb. So how can I make sure my insuracne company doesn't screw me. I mean there are many bolt on parts, that i know i wont get full money back, but i want to get some back.

also,from the engine back, there is no damage. (interor is still flawless) how much can i expect to get back if i decide to buy the car back from the insurance co and part it out.

this is my first insurance claim, so i dont know what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks
jimmy
Old 07-20-2006, 01:50 PM
On The Tree

I had something like this happin to me once. Make sure they know how good you took care of it. Reciepts are great. Also doesnt hurt to have some photos of the car looking shiney and waxy as well.
Im very very sorry to hear about your misfortune and I hope that the car loved you so much it absorbed all the impact from the tree and you got out ok.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:00 PM
Teching In

I guess how much you get back will depend on what your insurance company uses to determine value i.e. NADA, KBB, black book. I do believe KBB suggested retail value is the highest of all of them.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:54 PM
Launching!

Typically when a car is considered 'A total loss' it has to cost more than 50-60% of the 'value' of the car to repair it. In other words if your car say is worth $20,000 there would need to be MORE than $10,000 worth of repairs needed for an insurance company to 'total' it. The key word here is the 'value' of your car. Insurance companies typically give you 'Actual Cash Value' for your car when it is totaled. Now.....where and how they determine actual cash value can be a mystery. Each insurance company varies on this value and the % needed in repairs to total it. It also depends to some extent where you live. (big city, rural area, etc) You will have to get the insurance company to look at it. Any big ticket bolt on receipts will make a difference but $50 here and $150 there will not unless they add up to a substantial amount.

Hope this helps. Just a general idea of what happens when a car gets totaled. You will just have to negotiate with your insurance company.

(yes, I went thru this when my wife got hit from behind and her car was totaled)

Good luck and the important thing is you are ok. The car can be replaced.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:04 AM
On The Tree

A good idea if you think you are going to get underpaid is to print out ads of other cars the same make and model with the same basic miles and upgrades. Show your insurance company how much they are selling for. A good place to look is auto trader.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

i have counted up over 10 grand in parts....and i haven't even lifted the hood yet So i know it is totaled

my insurance co is state farm. I have already stated printing out adds of similar cars. But there are over 10 grand in aftermarket parts.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:26 AM
Staging Lane

I have been in your situation but worse.......
My 385 LT1 Camaro

In my situation, I gathered up all the receipts I had. I also printed up values of similar cars. Even in the condition that that car was in I knew I had a lot of usable parts left on her. So I wanted to buy it back. Make sure to tell your insurance company that you are NOT interested in buying it back in the beggining, it gives them leverage. When they give you a value for your car, you can fight it. When you settle on a value, then ask "how much would it be if I wanted to keep my car, just out of curiousity?" or something of the sort. I ended up buying back my car for $900 dollars I beleive. I was able to sell the tranny, kept my moser 12 bolt for next car, sell my long block, keep my suspension, fuel pump, etc. Obviously they will want more for you car, but you get the idea....
Old 07-21-2006, 08:30 AM
Staging Lane

also, print up pricing of the parts on your car if you don't have receipts.......
Old 07-24-2006, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

have a bunch of print outs ready..........state farm is supposed to look at the car today, so i will soon see
Old 07-24-2006, 09:58 PM
12 Second Club

You say you have $10K in aftermarket parts? It doesn't mean **** to them, unless you notify them and have a bulk of these modifications added to your policy you're SOL.

Also, talk to them about buying the car back, some will let you some won't. Each company is different on their total loss thresholds. Some will total at 50-60% others will go up to 80%+. However since you're their insured they won't go as high % wise compared to you being a claimant.

Good luck, don't let them bully you around. Stand up for what you think is fair and fight until the end, remember insurance companies are in business to make money

Do you have any pics by chance? I'm an auto damage appraiser and I work in the industry, I might be able to help if you run into problems.

PM me if you need advice or opinions.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

just got the word, totaled
Old 07-26-2006, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

btw,

Old 07-26-2006, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Old 07-26-2006, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Old 07-26-2006, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Old 07-26-2006, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Old 07-26-2006, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

and the tree i was under

Old 07-26-2006, 11:29 AM
On The Tree

Oh man thats terrible. Ill buy your rims. Keep us posted.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

That is fine, I am alomost 100% sure i am going to buy it back
Old 07-26-2006, 11:54 AM
Launching!

wow that sucks - glad you're ok though.

be careful with telling the insurance company about your mods. I have Geico. bunch of crooks.

some jackass hit and ran my 89 supercharged 5.0 - which according them is worth all of 1800 bucks. When I gave them reciepts for the parts I had they said they would not cover the damage b/c I had "boosted the ignition" - maybe the MSD box?

I tried in vain to get a straight story ect. They didn't cancel me out right but they gave me a whole bunch of **** about the car.

I just decided not to go through insurance and sold her wrecked - got a decent chunk of change back too - so it worked out (sorta)
I did have a 347 Buildup on order - but I guess I wouldn't be a TA guy now.

oh well.

sorry for the rant - but goodluck!!