General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Success Story

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talking Success Story

Well it has been a successful two weeks of my first mod's and significant repairs to the car since I have owned it. Started off with a magnaflow cat-back, which start to finish took 1 hr 40 mins. To be honest, I dont think it sounds very impressive at all, but the ease of install and the quality was very nice. I was much more impressed with the Flowmaster 3'' system that I installed on my 5.2 liter Grand Cherokee as far as sound.

Anyway, next thing I did was replace the air filter and noticed that the stock air lid was coming apart on the inside. I ordered up a SLP Lid about a week ago, and had an easy install of about 15 minutes. During this install I disconnected the battery to let the computer reset.

Everything back together and time for a test drive. I hadn't really gotten on the throttle since prior to the cat-back due to the recent 95* weather. This day it was about 80* and far less humid. I noticed SIGNIFICANT seat of the pants gain from these two mods, and probably from the partly from too.

Next problem... Anti-theft LOC... thats where LS1tech.com starts to pull through, as I found several threads and easily fixed the stereo.

Next problem, or rather this had to be fixed so I can drive into Boston for work. Window lift motor... dead. Searched my trusty ls1tech.com and found several threads again, as well as a 20 picture step by step walk thru. Bought a previously recommended ACI motor from Advance Auto Parts, and with the help of the walk thru I replaced the motor and re-assembled the door in just under 2 hours!

All in all, very successful. Camaro's in great shape now and runnin stronger than ever!

Thanks ls1tech!
Old 07-26-2006, 10:34 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

glad to hear it. it only gets better from here on.

if i may ask, can you post the link to the step-by-step instructions to the window motor replacement? it's always good to have these things bookmarked just in case
Old 07-26-2006, 10:59 AM
On The Tree

went here

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....1&postcount=18

then from there went here

http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html

it even has one specific for your bird
Old 07-26-2006, 11:12 AM
Tech Resident

thank you sir, this one will be bookmarked

i remember i took my door panel off my old 1995 V6 firebird to gain access to the driver's side speaker. the hardest part was getting that damn lock clip back on and reattaching the rotating arm for the manual windows OMG was that a PAIN! other than that it wasn't too bad, but i didn't have power windows or locks.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

I wasn't too wild about the idea of drilling holes through the fiberglass to drill out the rivets, but I trusted the instructions and it worked out great. Putting the panel back on was by far the hardest part.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

It's not too awful replacing the window motor, it sucks, but it's fairly easy to figure out just actually getting those damn tiny little screws and nuts out is the pain.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:26 AM
On The Tree

Welp that link was a huge help. I couldnt tell for sure if my window was going dead or what the hell the problem was. It will just stop going up sometimes and after a wait it will continue to work. Looks like I need to check some things and possibly shell out some cash for a new motor. /sigh
Old 07-26-2006, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KC21386
Next problem, or rather this had to be fixed so I can drive into Boston for work. Window lift motor... dead. Searched my trusty ls1tech.com and found several threads again, as well as a 20 picture step by step walk thru. Bought a previously recommended ACI motor from Advance Auto Parts, and with the help of the walk thru I replaced the motor and re-assembled the door in just under 2 hours!

Great instructions... My window motors still work ok, but seem very slow and I would imagine they will only get worse. After you did your install did you see a significant increase in window speed compared to when it worked last before the motor died?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 07-27-2006, 06:12 AM
On The Tree

Yes, it goes up and down fast than it ever did in the 2.5 years i have had the car.

It actually seems like it goes down a little to far, or too firmly tho. It seems to expand the door panel a bit when it goes ALL the way down. Anyone know if there is an adjustment?
Old 07-27-2006, 07:24 AM
Tech Resident

mine does too. stock motors. it's just the door firming up. our doors are made out of cheap plastic. you can push them in. when heavy, hard class goes down, it just stiffens the door up. nothing's wrong at all.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KC21386
Well it has been a successful two weeks of my first mod's and significant repairs to the car since I have owned it. Started off with a magnaflow cat-back, which start to finish took 1 hr 40 mins. To be honest, I dont think it sounds very impressive at all, but the ease of install and the quality was very nice. I was much more impressed with the Flowmaster 3'' system that I installed on my 5.2 liter Grand Cherokee as far as sound.
FWIW I had the Flowmasters on my car before going with Magnaflow and I felt the Magnaflow was a better choice. Better flow and sound. If I recall correctly I had the Flowmaster 80.

I have a sound clip of the magnaflow from a dig acceleration and think the sound is great. I am actually reinstalling my Cats so I can get back to that sweet melody.

LINK: Mac headers and Magnaflow

LINK: Stock headers and flowmaster

I know Flowmaster has more than one type exhaust. Were you considering the Flowmaster 80?