General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

driving f-body in snow...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 01:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default driving f-body in snow...

So I live in MI, I just sold my 4x4 truck and I feel as though I could have made it through the winter fine w/o it. There were a few times where I NEEDED it but no often.

I was looking at a pontiac G6 GTP with the 6-speed but there are NONE within a 500 mile radius of me like I want. So I got on autotrader and I found this 99 TA 6-speed 31k miles for 17,000$. This will be my ONLY car, so I'm wanting to know how well these things handle in snow if at all. I'd hate to get this car and have a blast for a few months and then get pissed at my decision because I cant go out when it snows.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:43 PM
TECH Regular

Depends on how much it snows and how good the road crews keep the road clear. 2-3" of snow and you should be fine (just go real slow) I had to do that one time when I got caught in it. Over 4" and I think you'll be pushing your luck.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pretty much any performance summer tire will be out of the question. You can get another set of rims and put some snow tires on or at least all season tires and you should be fine. Pretty much any tire which channels water diagonally will be horrible in the snow. Just a heads up.

It's not so much the car but the tires.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:53 PM
Teching In

I don't know how far you travel outside Flint, but I would certainly be wary of driving an f-body in the snow (especially a V8) in MI. Tires can help a bit, but it isn't a save-all. My SS has only seen snow perhaps a dozen times, and it was a bear to handle. I prefer rear to front-wheel drive in the snow so I am familiar with those dynamics in MI snow.

Several friends with F-Bodys here in MI have had the snow do them in (sometimes it wasn't more than a few inches).

Just my opinion - but for a solution I would go with a cheap winter beater.

I use the g-force tires which have slightly better snow characteristics than the f-1 eagles I think.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:57 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spitfire2332
So I live in MI, I just sold my 4x4 truck and I feel as though I could have made it through the winter fine w/o it. There were a few times where I NEEDED it but no often.

I was looking at a pontiac G6 GTP with the 6-speed but there are NONE within a 500 mile radius of me like I want. So I got on autotrader and I found this 99 TA 6-speed 31k miles for 17,000$. This will be my ONLY car, so I'm wanting to know how well these things handle in snow if at all. I'd hate to get this car and have a blast for a few months and then get pissed at my decision because I cant go out when it snows.
FWIW, that's a very high price for that car. i got my car for $14,500 w/24.9k miles on it and it was a 2001...but i don't know how much cars are up there.

i went 2 winters with a 3.4L V6 firebird. it sucked in the snow. you have to drive VERY slowly and brake with ample distance. i slid through an intersection once and i was breaking over a quarter mile before the intersection. i'd also like to point out that i was only going 35 mph when i started breaking. however, with 3.4L V6's had a shitty breaking system with rear drum brakes, an open differential (just 1 wheel spinning), no traction control and the rear brakes had no ABS.

my new 2001 formula is MUCH better in the rain than my old bird. i have good rims and tires though. my ZO6 rims/275 tires give me great traction, the 4 wheel anti-lock disc brakes help, traction control is helpful and it's nice having a limited slip differential in the rear so i push with both tires. that being said, i haven't experienced a winter in this car yet. i can just tell you it's 10 times better in the rain. i used to lose traction in my other car if i braked too hard in the rain. not this one

these cars generally just suck in the snow because the rear ends are very light and fishtail. also, having V8 power means if you hit the throttle too hard by accident, even while driving, you can spin out. f-bodies aren't a good car for winter conditions. i'm not saying they can't be driven. they're just more dangerous than the average car. i live in south jersey so my winters aren't too bad. we don't see much snow and when we do it's rarely significant. in MI it might be a poor choice
Old 07-28-2006, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

It sucks when it snows for f-bodies, period.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

i drove my year round before i got a beater. I found that more than 2-3 inches of snow it is pointless. But up to that point its not too bad. Btw, I always had to turn off ASR from a dead stop, and turn it once i got moving.

Btw, that was on stock F1's and sumitomo HTRZ
Old 07-28-2006, 02:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a set of snow tires on steelies for my bird for the winter and honestly with about 100lbs of weight in the back I felt like it drove better in the snow than any front wheel drive car I have ever driven in snow.

But, I'm still hoping to pick up a beater car for the winter this year
Old 07-28-2006, 02:08 PM
TECH Resident

Driving an F-body in the snow is just like driving any other car...go real slow, allow excessive braking distance, etc etc...
I wouldn't worry about driving in more than 4"..you won't even make it out of the driveway
Old 07-28-2006, 02:21 PM
On The Tree

I agree with Smoke Panther. I drove my old Z28 in the snow with Kumho Ecsta's. It wasn't the greatest but it worked. If you are going to drive an F-body in Flint do yourself a favor and get some snow tires and steel rims. I went to college in Flint and the roads suck when they are dry. It is also the only town I know of where there is a permanent dirt road in the middle of town.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:23 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by blackraven
is also the only town I know of where there is a permanent dirt road in the middle of town.

*plays themesong to gunsmoke*
Old 07-28-2006, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

Ive drivin my old T/A in the snow when we got some, and im in the south so when it snows their isnt any road prep or salt poured down and it wasnt too bad
Old 07-28-2006, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

I drove my 95 LT1 A4 Formula in 2 winters. I highly dont reccomend you do this man, I mean, its your decision but there were times I was frustrated as all hell because I couldnt make it up a hill or something. Kicking her sideways gets old fast when you just want to get to work.
Of course my tire selection didnt help. Im sure if you got some snow tires it might be better.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

its a simple decision really...come to texas, where the LS1's are a hell of a lot cheaper, buy one, and then stay here so you dont have to worry about the snow. hell, maybe youll become a Texas A&M fan and then youll be in heaven! its that easy...
Old 07-28-2006, 04:16 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

My only car is my 2001 Formula. In the winter I use Blizzak WS-50 tires mounted on cheap steel wheels. You can get it in a package delivered mounted and balanced from TireRack. Thats where I got my first set. I got my current set from Sullivan Tire. They only last about 3 winters and you'll notice dimished ability in the third year. I live in MA. The winters here aren't as bad as MI though, but I do just fine. I have never been stuck.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My Trans Am did better in the snow than my 94 3.4 5 speed Camaro did. I kept the TCS on, have some off brand tires (Defender ZRX+4), and didn't take it over 2500 RPMs and was fine. We didn't get hit as bad as we normally do here though. Looking for a beater maybe this year. But I drove my Camaro for 8 years in the snow and always managed. Although IMO, I think automatics are harder to drive in the snow than manual transmissions.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:00 PM
TECH Addict

it's really all in the tires

I have a 88 car I've winter driven for a long time and as long as I had winters on, I had an easier time navigating the snow than any of my other family member cars with all-season tires.

Driving in the snow, just stick to some basic rules. Don't drive fast, don't follow too closely and avoid driving in snowstorms (tend to be a pain in the *** no matter what kind of car you drive). As long as the roads are kept decent, you can take your car almost anywhere.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just DON'T do it.

Not a good car for snow.

For snow, you really need a front wheel drive car or a 4x4.

I got stuck in my 2wd Silverado. Barley limped the truck back home and got in my Dad's Cadillac and it was almost like there wasn't even snow on the ground. I have also had a similar experience in a 4x4 and the 4x4 was even better than the frount wheel drive car.

Last edited by wabmorgan; 07-31-2006 at 01:38 AM.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would NEVER drive my Z in the snow. Not even a coating. I got stuck in a freak storm about 10 years ago with my M5 302 Mustang and a 15 minute ride home took 3 hours. No matter how slowly I let the cluth out or even the gear I used I would just spin the wheels. That was enough for me to decide NEVER to drive a rwd car in the now again without snow tires or chains. FWD, no problem but ever since I have always had a 4WD as one of my cars.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:27 AM
TECH Resident

i live in TX :yawn: