General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Car and Driver comparo: WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 03:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car and Driver comparo: WTF?

So I got some reading matirial while I was having and alighnment done. CD has a comparo on their cover between the F430, the 997 turbo and the C6 Z06.

Looks pretty cool.

Long story short. The Z06 is flat out faster. It runs a faster ET. It has a higher trap. Its got more grip in the skidpad, and it beats both on the road course by a significant margin. They say strait up that the Z06 is the best performance value in the world.

Not only that, it has more useable trunk space, gets better mileage and it costs less than half as much MSRP as the 997 and about a third as much as the F430.

Of the three cars the Z06 placed.................

.......3rd.

Its not as nice an interior and trickier to drive when wet or at the limit. Oh and the seats are not sporty enough.

Im suddenly reminded why I go for less mainstream mags these days.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:43 PM
Launching!

Yeah those editors are ********. They just gave the better finish to porcshe and ferrari because they are a porsche and a ferrari.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, that mag is only good for wiping your ***, thats why i now get Hot Rod because its about real cars and they arent dumbshits that only respect a car if it has a $80,000+ pricetag.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:53 PM
v-8
On The Tree

I ******* Hate C&d Its Always About The Imports Where Ever Their From Its Like What The **** This Is America Not ******* Anywhere Else In Da Wizzald..
Old 08-01-2006, 04:13 PM
Launching!

I have been reading C&D since I was 12, I am cancelling my subscription. It is all the things stated above (read:FASTER) and it has a trunk and navigation. Screw those guys, I have ridden in the newest 911 ( I know, slighty different) but the seats were very uncomfortable. Car mags suck
Old 08-01-2006, 04:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

I have subscribed to Hot Rod now for 20 years..I pick up the other mags at our local library. CD is not that bad..just don't pay any attention to the comparo's. [although I would get the vette last also] ...if I had tons of money.

Last edited by NHRAMAN; 08-01-2006 at 05:05 PM.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I see you're not the only one that went ballistic over this. I, too, practically had an aneurism over it. Here's what I posted on another forum:

Car & Driver is beginning to **** me off. I always knew they were pretty biased towards European cars (especially sports cars), but ****. Just read the new issue with the competition between the Ferrari F430, Corvette Z06, and Porsche 911 Turbo. I can't believe how sad this review is.

Here's some quotes from the Z06 review:

"It accelerates as quickly as the 911 Turbo through the quarter and wastes both the Porsche and Ferrari at speeds above 120mph."
"...0 to 150 mph in 17.7 seconds..."
"most grip at 1.01 g and the best braking performance."
"...on an autobahn, it was still accelerating while the Ferrari was topped out in sixth gear at 186 mph."
"Around our road course... 1.7 seconds quicker than the Porsche on a near-76-second lap."
It does all this for about a third of the Ferrari's price."
"The Z06 is the best performance value in the world, period."

The cons?
"It might stop from 70 mph in the shortest distance -- 146 feet -- but the brake-pedal feel isn't as good as the Ferrari's and Porsche's.
"The shifter is a bit crude and requires relatively high effort.
They also had a dislike for the handling that I don't feel like typing out.

And anyone want to guess what the Z06 pulled? Third. ******* third. Third?! Let me reiterate what they stated... "The Z06 is the best performance value in the world, period.". And you're going to rank it third because the brake-pedal doesn't feel right? What the ****. And the shifter? Give me a brake. Stop being a bunch of pussies and put some ******* muscle into that shift! I guess you're just too accustomed to the boring paddle-shifters of these almost $200k sports cars like the Ferrari.

You've got almost a $60,000 difference between the tested Z06 and the tested 911 Turbo (the Ferrari being the most expensive at a $121,600 jump from the Z06 price). I guess this is sort of a "should've, could've but didn't" scenario but I can't even imagine $60,000 more pumped into the Z06. Or can I...

Old 08-01-2006, 08:36 PM
Teching In

I don't the comparo is about value at all. It did score considerable points in the price area though.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:18 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are they sure it was the brake pedal not feeling good? Or maby it was their eyeballs popping out of the sockets? Hmmmm.....

What a joke.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:20 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"...on an autobahn, it was still accelerating while the Ferrari was topped out in sixth gear at 186 mph."

This should have read "...on an autobahn, it was still accelerating IN 5TH while the Ferrari was topped out in sixth gear at 186 mph."

Itallians and Germans pwn3d by the USA once again.....
Old 08-02-2006, 08:29 AM
10 Second Club

the remody? brake pads of choice, racing seats of choice and a shifter of choice = $2000. still being half the price of either of those. AND you would be able to pick out stuff that you liked. Porshe owners are HUGE snobs, i love seeing them get their *** kicked by the CTS-R, GTO-R and C5-R even when they have a large artifical advantage (ie weight put car or having to detune the LSGod)
Old 08-02-2006, 08:34 AM
Launching!

I thought it ws bullshot when i read it too. They had always spoken so highly of the car, in that article and the past, and it placed third (last!). WTF!?!?
Old 08-02-2006, 10:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

C&D =

If it's not a BMW, Ferrari or Porsche it's not going to win in one of their comparo's, period. Doesn't matter if it's a better car if it doesn't have the right badge on it.

IMO they shouldn't have even had a comparo between those three cars based solely on the fact that the z06's sticker price is half of the 2nd cheapest car. Go let the europeans play with each other while the american muscle wipes the floor with them......for half the cash. Zo6 is in a league of it's own.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:10 AM
NKAWTG...N

BIASED! Doesn't matter, the Corvette can have Enzo or Mclaren F1 performance levels, but it will still lose just because it is a Corvette. But what matters is the looks on your face on the look on the other guys face when you pass his Ferrari like it is standing still.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nickls1
Yeah those editors are ********. They just gave the better finish to porcshe and ferrari because they are a porsche and a ferrari.
Um or they tried comparing a CHEVY to exotics, things like seats exhaust note and looks mean just as much to a exotic...

It wasn't a fair setup to any of the cars. The z06 is a sports care the others are super cars. The z06 just runs with them but NEVER will be one. Never made to be or wants to be.

It's just like comparing a trailblazer and a Camery they might lay same #s at track but 2 different beasts.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:55 AM
12 Second Club

thats ****** bull, i love ferraris but thats garbage GM earned there title spot fair and square when they released the zo6!!!!
Old 08-02-2006, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

People read C&D?
Old 08-02-2006, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ace$nyper
Um or they tried comparing a CHEVY to exotics, things like seats exhaust note and looks mean just as much to a exotic...

It wasn't a fair setup to any of the cars. The z06 is a sports care the others are super cars. The z06 just runs with them but NEVER will be one. Never made to be or wants to be.

It's just like comparing a trailblazer and a Camery they might lay same #s at track but 2 different beasts.

I agree they are two different breeds as the f430 and 997 are way more expensive than the C6 Z06, but come on, a c6 z06 compared to a f430/porsche is like a trailblazer to a camry? The C6 Z06 is a sports car as are the f430 and the porsche so how does that translate to a trailblazer vs a camry? Also, lets be serious, interior/exhaust note/looks do matter, but the C6 Z06 is a very attractive car and although the interior isnt up to par with the exotics its certainly not subpar by any means, and exhaust note...who cares? If your buying a f430 or a porsche 997 your obviously buying it for its performance and styling, not its interior and exhaust note, so if you have the cash and want a extremely rare car that performs well, then go with the f430 or 997, but if your basing it on styling and performance, I cant see not going with the C6 Z06 IMO. I agree that it doesnt make much sense to compare the two due to the fact that the other cars are double and triple the price of the C6 Z06, but you have to admit its kind of funny that they do the comparo, the C6 Z06 rips them in every performance category, then they still put the other two cars on top due to their "interior/styling/braking/etc".

Last edited by 98Z28MASS; 08-02-2006 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

Just wait till the supercharged version of the Z06 comes out.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:32 PM
10 Second Club

GM should do what they did to the XLR-V, take a regular XLR and wrap every single interor piece in real leather. that cars interior is better than ANY Porshe, Mercades, BMW or any other mass produced car. its not really a slouch either with 475+ supercharged northstar power under the hood, if someone got one of those and put headers and a pully on it it would easily do 500 crank hp, plus i think the car looks killer. now just to get $100,000 even