General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Need opinions about car a that has been sitting for awhile.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 06:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need opinions about car a that has been sitting for awhile.

I own a 96 buick riviera with 108K miles that i got as a gift two years ago. It had just came home from geting a full checkup at a buick dealership and ran fine. I never drove it because because I had a motercycle and used my moms truck to save on insruance.

It sat in my driveway and just slept for 2 years. I now need a car and was wondering what bad stuff could happen if i put in a new battery, change the oil, and then start it. My friend who is a mechanic was telling me the car is prolly worthless now and tons of stuff prolly rotted away.

Anyone with comments please post your thoughts.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

Theres only one way to find out whats wrong with it, fire it up
Old 08-04-2006, 07:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

well there was nothing wrong with it when i got it, but im wondering if there are things on cars that just break from sitting.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

definitely change your fuel filter and maybe fuel pump....change all your fluids, except for your trans fluid, including flushing your brake lines. Pump out the old gas thats in the tank and put in fresh 89 octane not 87 or 91/93. Its a weekend job, but worth it for a free car!
Old 08-05-2006, 05:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ZeroFear
well there was nothing wrong with it when i got it, but im wondering if there are things on cars that just break from sitting.

No...

At least not from just sitting that long. The gas that is in it is likely fine as well.

We bought a DSM a while back with a broken T-belt. It had sat in the guys driveway for over a year - Then it sat in mine for a year while we were playing around fixing it up... When I did start it up it burned every bit of the 3/4 tank of 2 yr. old gas that was in it. No problems...

You could change out some of the fluids (brake fluid and oil), But if it were my car, I would drive it for a while and see if I NEEDED to fix anything first.

Replace the bagttery and the oil and drive it some IMO. You may be pleasantly surprized that it needs little attention other than that.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Can the breaks or steering become messed up from sitting for too long?
Old 08-06-2006, 05:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ZeroFear
Can the breaks or steering become messed up from sitting for too long?

Brake fluid is VERY hydroscopic and can absorb moisture from the air. As cheap as brake fluid is, I would change it out for insurance.

I like to use the valvoline synpower fluid partly because it is clear and very easy to see when it has become contaminated. If it starts to get a 'color' to it, I usually change it out.

I really doubt that 'sitting' for a while has messed anything up, but a few minutes and a few $$ spent changing out fluids could save you some headaches down the road IMO.

Best of luck with your ride ZeroFear. Hope it all goes well for you with it.

Quick Reply: Need opinions about car a that has been sitting for awhile.