General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

car sales???

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 12:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car sales???

Hey, i just got a job at a dealership selling cars, i start wed. I did 6 years in the navy, looking to so something different. anyone have any advice? or horror stories??

thanks
josh
Old 08-14-2006, 12:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just don't be the sterotype salesman who knows nothing about what he's selling and you'll be good!
Old 08-14-2006, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

Agreed.

Be honest with the customer, as in, if he's buying a 350z, tell him he'll wax most would-be performance cars, but it'll take some work to beat an LS1, etc, etc. Every time I talk to a salesman, (maybe 4 or 5 times since I was 14/15) they're ignorant jerks, who think what I'm saying is flat wrong, even though they are flat uneducated.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by josh1107
Hey, i just got a job at a dealership selling cars, i start wed. I did 6 years in the navy, looking to so something different. anyone have any advice? or horror stories??

thanks
josh
It doesn't matter if you're selling Kia's or Cadillac's, KNOW YOUR PRODUCT! I hate going into dealership's and knowing more about the vehicle's than the salesman does.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:55 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah its like when I was lookin to trade my T/A in for a GTO the guy kept sayin "its a real vette engine in the GTO" And I kept telling him I knew that and that my T/A sitting outside also had a vette engine in it. The salesman told me that my T/A didnt have a REAL vette engine like the GTO did
Old 08-15-2006, 01:33 AM
11 Second Club

When a friend was looking at a new car he was pulling out of the lot a salesman came running out and flagged him down to stop and talk.. that's ghey

If someone is ACTUALLY looking at a car, go help them. Dont flag down every car that drives through the lot
Old 08-15-2006, 01:46 AM
Staging Lane

Any tips for someone wanting to get into car sales? I am going to go apply at a hyundai dealership in town tomorrow and wondered if anyone could give me some tips.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:20 AM
11 Second Club

Study a thing or 2 about their cars so you sound smart if they ask you a question.. and be a typical salesman in the interview.

Also.. dress like a douchebag in a tie... works for all of em around here.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:17 AM
Launching!

yeah, i didnt wear a tie, and it was like i killed the pope or something, but i start tomorrow. i just wish the didnt have such a negative few about them, i dont want to be stereotyped. i think i would be decent. but im also afraid the managers will push me to do unfavorable things.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:17 AM
Launching!

oh, anyone know what the pay is like??
Old 08-15-2006, 08:41 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by josh1107
oh, anyone know what the pay is like??
lol so you took a job before you even know what they are going to pay you??

Are you a used car salesman or a new one? I think their's more money in used cars but i'm not sure.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:30 AM
Launching!

its new car sales, the ad said 6k for training, not sure what that means though, im just waiting to get in the local power plant, but need something to do in the mean time.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

Definetely have some knowledge of what your selling and be honest. I work at a Chevy dealership in parts and i can tell you the best salesppl we have are the ones that really know their shizznit, and don't be pushy with ppl but don't let yourself get runover either. Car sales is something you have to stick with to make money, don't expect to make the big bucks right off the bat. You have to make a name for yourself first. I've been in parts for about 7yrs now and am very well known in my area, but that came from those yrs of makin' sure every customer(well most, can't plz everyone) left my store happy. One more thing to remember, always keep a good attitude and be confident, do both of those along with having some good knowledge of what your selling and you'll do ok.
good luck.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

Knowledge. Be honest. My favorite one: I was looking at an older RX-7 for my boss. I asked the sales puke what kind of engine it had. He told me 4 cylinder. Apparently he hadn't heard of the Wankel. And this was a Mazda dealership! I told my boss (chick with an attitude) that the guy was a fool. She beat him up and got the car cheap.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:08 AM
Launching!

A family friend is a car salesmen in Odessa, TX and he pulls in 300K+ a year.

He does some serious business though and he has a lot of contacts throughout Texas and New Mexico.

He has also been selling cars for over 30 years.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

knowledge and presentation are key.

and don't listen to people to tell you not to flag down cars. it may be gay to them, but as a salesperson, your job is to know inventory as well, and maybe you have something in back that matches what they are looking for and didn't see. you willing to risk supporting your family because you didn't want to "act gay".

Realize this, people THINK they know specifics. The internet has given them all of this information in which they truly do not know how to use. So realize you will deal with some people that treat you like ****.

Also realize you will have people complain that you DID NOT get up right away and help them. And on the flip side, you will have people complain that you DID "bother" them right away. Take that worth a grain of salt because you can't please everyone.

for the dress code, the managers are idiots if they think a "suit and tie" approach will work when selling HYUNDAI's. It's a cheap car. The people buying it in most cases are not the came type of people buying BMW's. So dress slacks and a dealer logo'd polo is where it's at. Granted, that the shirt and tie may be their dress code, but that's too old school for me.

I'm a sales manager at a chevy store right now. we have slacks and a corvette logo polos as dress code. because it's a more relaxed atmosphere. we aren't selling TOP OF THE LINE type cars, and our buyers feel more comfortable with people dressed down. It's been a debate and asked many times of the customers. plus it keeps everyone kinda on par as employees. doesn't allow on sales person to be wearing some flashy 200buck shirt and another guy wearing a wrinkled plain white dress shirt.

and lastly, listen to your managers. there is a reason they are where they are. there might be things they tell you to say, so follow it. be upfront with customers. be honest. the stigma of the "used car salesperson" is plain old. it's embarassing to have someone like that.

On saturday, our dealer group(currently 6 stores) is adding a 7th that is a strictly used car superstore(our Toyota franchise is moving to a new location). I am one of 3 people that is in charge of starting this new store up. We've interviewed people that had the experience, but their attitudes of the old school ways turn us off to hiring them. Lieing, in one shape or another will get back to haunt you some how and some way. It will only cost you business, and possibly your job.

And yes, there is more money in used, but you have to deal with typically worse situations.(i.e. small scratches, rock chips)

And the above is right. If you do not do it for 2 years, you will have not built the customer base enough to make a good stab at this job. Those customers from 2-3 years ago, are the ones that will come back for their kids car, or their second car, etc.. So THIS is where I was saying a lie will come back to haunt you.

We have a guy who's been doing this for 8 years. Knows his crap. He takes maybe 3 new customers per month, yet still sells 20 cars/month. We are a smaller Chevy dealership in mega milwaukee area. I have about 6-7 other chevy dealerships in a 10-15 mile radius, so it is TOUGH competition.

On the new car side, make sure you know what kind of incentives the factory offers. For instance, with Chevy, if you are certified sales person, and in the mark of excellence, at the end of the year if you've sold over 75 new cars, you will receive $50 extra for each car sold. So our 8 year guy, who normally sells 200 new cars a year, got a bonus check for I think around $11,500 last year. So that's on top of what he makes from the dealership.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a Chevy dealer Service Manager I think the best advice was in the post from Slow Z28.......he's telling it like it is. Our top sales people have a good grasp on the product and a great relationship with the Service Dept. (me!). We have no old timey sterotyped salesmen............you know the guys with with the white belts and white shoes.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:35 PM
Teching In

I started in May at a BMW/Volkswagen/Honda dealership in Kentucky. The best piece of advice I can give you is not to pre-judge. Car sales is a numbers game; generally, the more people you get infront of the more cars you will sell.

You get paid based on performance, so it's impossible for us to tell you how much "you'll make" without you telling us "how good you are".
Old 08-15-2006, 01:01 PM
Launching!

thanks for all the great advice, it's always hard to start a new job.

thanks again
josh
Old 08-15-2006, 01:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Slow Z28
knowledge and presentation are key.

and don't listen to people to tell you not to flag down cars. it may be gay to them, but as a salesperson, your job is to know inventory as well, and maybe you have something in back that matches what they are looking for and didn't see. you willing to risk supporting your family because you didn't want to "act gay".

Realize this, people THINK they know specifics. The internet has given them all of this information in which they truly do not know how to use. So realize you will deal with some people that treat you like ****.

Also realize you will have people complain that you DID NOT get up right away and help them. And on the flip side, you will have people complain that you DID "bother" them right away. Take that worth a grain of salt because you can't please everyone.

for the dress code, the managers are idiots if they think a "suit and tie" approach will work when selling HYUNDAI's. It's a cheap car. The people buying it in most cases are not the came type of people buying BMW's. So dress slacks and a dealer logo'd polo is where it's at. Granted, that the shirt and tie may be their dress code, but that's too old school for me.

I'm a sales manager at a chevy store right now. we have slacks and a corvette logo polos as dress code. because it's a more relaxed atmosphere. we aren't selling TOP OF THE LINE type cars, and our buyers feel more comfortable with people dressed down. It's been a debate and asked many times of the customers. plus it keeps everyone kinda on par as employees. doesn't allow on sales person to be wearing some flashy 200buck shirt and another guy wearing a wrinkled plain white dress shirt.

and lastly, listen to your managers. there is a reason they are where they are. there might be things they tell you to say, so follow it. be upfront with customers. be honest. the stigma of the "used car salesperson" is plain old. it's embarassing to have someone like that.

On saturday, our dealer group(currently 6 stores) is adding a 7th that is a strictly used car superstore(our Toyota franchise is moving to a new location). I am one of 3 people that is in charge of starting this new store up. We've interviewed people that had the experience, but their attitudes of the old school ways turn us off to hiring them. Lieing, in one shape or another will get back to haunt you some how and some way. It will only cost you business, and possibly your job.

And yes, there is more money in used, but you have to deal with typically worse situations.(i.e. small scratches, rock chips)

And the above is right. If you do not do it for 2 years, you will have not built the customer base enough to make a good stab at this job. Those customers from 2-3 years ago, are the ones that will come back for their kids car, or their second car, etc.. So THIS is where I was saying a lie will come back to haunt you.

We have a guy who's been doing this for 8 years. Knows his crap. He takes maybe 3 new customers per month, yet still sells 20 cars/month. We are a smaller Chevy dealership in mega milwaukee area. I have about 6-7 other chevy dealerships in a 10-15 mile radius, so it is TOUGH competition.

On the new car side, make sure you know what kind of incentives the factory offers. For instance, with Chevy, if you are certified sales person, and in the mark of excellence, at the end of the year if you've sold over 75 new cars, you will receive $50 extra for each car sold. So our 8 year guy, who normally sells 200 new cars a year, got a bonus check for I think around $11,500 last year. So that's on top of what he makes from the dealership.
Well said...

Attitude is the biggest key in the game...Treat every customer as if it were a deal, even if you THINK you have dick and mayonnaise...

Don't let others crap you out, stay positive...YOu'll face a lot of rejection, but that's what it's all about...

Product knowledge is huge, sell yourself and the car as well...

Always know your next step, don't ever let a customer see a weakness...Know where everything is, know what to do...Overcome objections...Listen to your managers, even if it sounds rediculous, they know what they're doing...IF you can't get anything, always turn them to a manager before they walk...

the 6,000$ training is a 2,000 guarantee a month for 3 months...You can do 3k no problem if the market in your area is good...and that's if you're lazy...I usually do 5-8k, and I don't even work as hard as some others...

Watch what the top salesmen do...they're on the phone all day, or getting referrals...The phone is your friend, do not fear it...

Remember that a pen can make you a ton of money, ALWAYS have one on you...