General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Does The Smell Of Coolant Stop You In Your Tracks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Does The Smell Of Coolant Stop You In Your Tracks?

Like it does me?

Through the years I've had trouble with radiators, hoses, heaters, pipes, tubes, and pumps. Whenever I smell anti-freeze I stop dead in my tracks and start freaking out until I find where it's coming from.

I did this even when I was riding my Harley (air-cooled, of course).

Is it just me, or do others suffer from this affliction?

BTW, I came out of Wal-Mart yesterday and my water pump had puked all over the pavement. My worst fears realized...

$$$$$$$$$$
Old 08-15-2006, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had cooling problems in the past also. If I smeel coolant or oil out of no where I will panic, first reaction is to check the guages, next is to look for any old/junker cars around me, followed my evasive fume manuvers!

About 3 months after I had my GTP it developed a hole in not just one but two cooling lines at just about the same time. Hell if any of my guages drop below what I normally see them out I go into a panic!

Drove my dads old beater car because of construction yesterday and when stopped the oil pressure guage almost drops off, I flipped, called him and he responded with "don't worry about it, its normal settle down!"

I would rather be over protected than under protected. It is hard to drive my GP because I always look down and expect to see a oil/voltage guage and see just temp. I always wonder what they read... I really need to get a pillar + guages for it.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a lil whiff of some the other day on the way home, pulled up in the driveway and started searchin', but found nothin'. Thats when the smell really gets to me, when you can't determine the source. I know i need to replace my hoses so I think that's gonna be my lil project this weekend. I can't let my baby get a boo-boo.