General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

omg, i hate my stubborn parents...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 07:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so many minors so little time before they wreck whats left of the ls1s lol
Old 08-23-2006, 08:08 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BREAKPARTS
tell your parents if you get an import you will be exited to put on a spoiler wing and streetrace it every where cuz rice rockets are whippin d's on mc donalds trays nowadays, and thats the ****!

is it cool for me to have this in my sig? thats one of the funnies thing i've heard.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by staringback05
so many minors so little time before they wreck whats left of the ls1s lol
i had 2 fbodies to drive by the time I was 18, one the red m6 I got when I was 16, and have no accidents, no tickets, no anything. Its been three years now of daily driving a pretty loud Bright Red Z28 and nothing. I dont know how many of the older crowd can say that. Been pulled over 3 times all for no front license plate, and the 1st question they asked was how much I had to drink that night. So even tho this was prolly a joke I think that its a little ignorant.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Firebirdfan
The only problem is that my parents think that because the car has that kind of mileage, it's total crap.

[They] refuse to listen to why the LS1 is a great engine.
I hate to break it to you, but it's not like F-bodies are praised for their build quality. I got a '99 Trans Am brand spanking new in 1999 and had the following problems before 35k miles on the clock...

Clutch needed replacing
A total of 3 power window motors needed replacing
Replaced 2 headlight motors
Monsoon speaker replaced
Replaced Rotors
Synchros needed replacing
And the big one, I shot the gears out of the rear differential.

As you can see that's over $5k in repairs out of pocket on a NEW T/A (the rear differential, clutch, and rotors were NOT covered by warranty, but everything else was).

Yes the LS1 may be one of GM's best engines, however it's not only the engine you have to worry about. GM cut some corners with the f-body, and it definitely shows in build quality. Pretty much every problem I named is a common occurance on these cars.

Now the f-body is a GREAT car, and I would love to have another one, but you are deceiving yourself if you think that it's the greatest car built, and will never have any problems.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

I agree with stealth, these cars are great but do have some build quality issues. Look at this thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/530829-what-has-gone-out-your-f-body.html
Old 08-23-2006, 02:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just slap them in the face, and be like thats enough of your ****.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:25 PM
TECH Resident

If your parents used to be in the "car" scene when they were younger they prolly think that these cars have been driven into the ground by racing and hotrodding, and a car that had 60,000+mile in that condition prolly is going to be problematic.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Firebirdfan
For the last time, THEY ARE NOT BUYING THE CAR! We will probably trade the montana in and use the trade in money to pay off a lot of the car. I will pay the difference!!!
ok, so theyre not buying a car, theyre still paying 8-9k...thats a gift. i'd say what you want, and plead your case, but if it doesnt work, let it be. I would've killed for a 13k car in high school. I've paid for my truck, and I paid for my car with my share of farm money. I was lucky and fortunate, yes, but, I didn't bitch at 16 when i got a 5 year old grand prix and not the trans am that I wanted. Be happy with it, there are many people here that would like a gift like that. If you dont want it, then let them keep their van and you spend the 4k difference on a car for yourself and buy a 10 year old high mileage piece GT or z28. just be grateful
Old 08-23-2006, 02:29 PM
Import Patrol

Originally Posted by Swang
ok, so theyre not buying a car, theyre still paying 8-9k...thats a gift. i'd say what you want, and plead your case, but if it doesnt work, let it be. I would've killed for a 13k car in high school. I've paid for my truck, and I paid for my car with my share of farm money. I was lucky and fortunate, yes, but, I didn't bitch at 16 when i got a 5 year old grand prix and not the trans am that I wanted. Be happy with it, there are many people here that would like a gift like that. If you dont want it, then let them keep their van and you spend the 4k difference on a car for yourself and buy a 10 year old high mileage piece GT or z28. just be grateful

Thanks for saying this, so now I don't have to type it out.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CrawlinWS6
Thanks for saying this, so now I don't have to type it out.
anytime.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:38 PM
On The Tree

Nevermind, guys. I found out that the car was sold about 20 minutes ago....dammit all.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:12 PM
On The Tree

my T/A had 67000 miles on it and ive had no problems what so ever, and ive had it for almost 2 years and now it has 69000
Old 08-23-2006, 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

dont listen to these guys saying your spoiled and stuff cause your parents are helping you afford a car. im going to college this fall, 3 days. i have a 2000 t/a that i bought for 9800 with 59000 miles on it. i only got it 2 weeks ago. its better just to wait to find a newer one that is listed at an outrageous price. you have an entire year to look so i know your gonna come across something. i waited 3 months and passed up many cars in my price range because they didnt have what i wanted. then i found this one and talked him all the way down to 9800 and its a 6 speed, and has every option except traction control. just wait till you find the right deal.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:14 AM
TECH Regular

You will find plenty of Head/Cam LS1's with over 100k on the clock and still running strong. Tell them not to worry. Its all about preventative maintenance.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by idrivesh!t
dont listen to these guys saying your spoiled and stuff cause your parents are helping you afford a car.
the fact that theyre getting him a car isnt the issue, its the fact that the gift wasnt appreciated. if someone is forking over 2/3 of the price of something, shouldnt they have some say in it? how can you hate your parents for giving you 8-9 grand and theyre main parameter is no high mileage sports cars? thats not too bad of a deal. thats the action of being spoiled.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:19 AM
Banned

haha ur parents are probably right, u will put in alot of $$$ into car cus u will be racing it and brk **** and if not u will want to mod it up to make it quicker.

trust me its a money pit
Old 08-31-2006, 02:20 AM
Banned

but i love every thing about my car
Old 08-31-2006, 03:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

There is no way I would buy a 99 with 70k on it. It isn't the engine you have to worry about. It is the rear-end, the front shock mounts, windows, the seats wearing out finally, the rear-end leaking at the driveshaft, posi-traction. You just know the guy seriously tore the crap out of the car before he brought it in.

At close to 8 years old the car isn't a car for a college kid. One ticket or accident and the insurance will rape you.

Plus what you really want is the same car at 2000+ that way you don't have to worry about EGR crap. It will become a nightmare in the end.

It is the sole reason I sold my 99 Z28 with 17k in aftermarket parts on it. Emissions testing came to my area and it would have cost me WAY to much to down grade my car. So I sold it and bought a EGRless LS1 and was WAY happier (the O2 sensors just would not heat up in time for an emissions test to past despite passing the sniffer test).

Plus if you find a TA that isn't a WS6 a plastic badge and an aftermarket hood are a lot cheaper than the extra cash you have to shell out for the stupid code on the inside of the door. You can save the cash and spend it on the nightmare changing the front shocks on the F-Body.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by StealthZ06
I hate to break it to you, but it's not like F-bodies are praised for their build quality. I got a '99 Trans Am brand spanking new in 1999 and had the following problems before 35k miles on the clock...

Clutch needed replacing
A total of 3 power window motors needed replacing
Replaced 2 headlight motors
Monsoon speaker replaced
Replaced Rotors
Synchros needed replacing
And the big one, I shot the gears out of the rear differential.

As you can see that's over $5k in repairs out of pocket on a NEW T/A (the rear differential, clutch, and rotors were NOT covered by warranty, but everything else was).

Yes the LS1 may be one of GM's best engines, however it's not only the engine you have to worry about. GM cut some corners with the f-body, and it definitely shows in build quality. Pretty much every problem I named is a common occurance on these cars.

Now the f-body is a GREAT car, and I would love to have another one, but you are deceiving yourself if you think that it's the greatest car built, and will never have any problems.
i was gonna say just about everything he said

i couldnt have owned my sports cars when i was in school, there is a lot of responsibilty and a lot of headaches that go along with owning that kind of car while your trying to continue an education its best to save money while your in school. than buy three or four f-bods after you graduate. just a suggestion
Old 08-31-2006, 04:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Genesis_26317
Case in point at age 24, 05 Honda Accord = $3200/year, 98 Camaro Z28, $2300/year...
That doesn't have anything to do with it, the only reason the Camaro is less is because if it is in an accident it will be declared a total loss with maybe 5k paid out. The 05 will cost 3 times that much. The same thing happened when was comparing a 2000 Corvette to a 2001 Corvette there was a $50 a month difference from 00-01 just because the car went from 6 years old to only 5.

All young men have high insurance, the only way to lower it is to drive a cheap old car and get older.

Repair Costs:
HI stands for home install.

Not Absolutely Necessary
$400 Rotors HI
$50 Pads HI

High Mileage Requirements
$90 Power Steering Flush
$90 Break System Work (get the stainless steel lines you will LOVE them)
$75 Tranny Flush
$50 Radiator Flush
$100 Catalytic Converters

Broken/Replaced
$85 Window Motors HI
$20 Vacuum Hose (took forever to find the leak) HI
$200 Front Shocks HI (actually broken from but it really is my fault)
$200 Front Shock Cups HI (etc, good luck getting it done by a shop)
$120 Rear-End Seal HI BTW do NOT let someone jack you car up buy using the differential case!!!
My front tires only lasted ~10k miles, I had an alignment done every 2 months with a 3 year as-many-times-as-you-want-plan.

My repair costs are nothing compared to lets say my fathers Ford Ranger or my Grandmother Taurus but I am INCREDIBLY gentle on cars. That is almost certainly not the case of the car you will be buying. When I say gentle my car never really went over 3000 rpms. I mean that too, probably less than 100 times.

It doesn't sound like much but that stuff was all home repairs. It would problably cost 2k in repair work added on to higher cost for parts as well. The front shocks where a nightmare.

The car is more than likely in need of a good bit of work right off the bat. It more than likely at least needs a tranny fluid change.

Last edited by Genesis_26317; 08-31-2006 at 04:36 AM.