General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

omg, i hate my stubborn parents...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 05:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can attest to the front shocks being a nightmare. Took me literally 3 days to do them all.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ell Ess Won
I can attest to the front shocks being a nightmare. Took me literally 3 days to do them all.

Yeah the freakin' shock piston siezed on the cup. Absolutely nothing holding it there except satan himself.

You would think that the spring would push it off; we gently loosened the spring compressors to push the cup off but it just wouldn't go. We ended up taking it to the shop to see what it would take to get it off. Over 5000 lbs did the trick though it thrashed the cup and it had to be replaced.

We cut the shock piston off the other cup and ended up drilling it off. It took HOURS of drilling.

If anything I think the front shocks on the F-Body is the absolutely crappiest part of it. Aside from making it ride like crap due to lame shocks the design is just ****. They REALLY could have done something to make it so the water didn't pull where the shock piston is.

It is almost to the point that you have to replace the whole damn set-up since it is quite possible that if you take it to Pep Boys they will probably break it then say they can't fix it. THEN you have to buy new cups and have the car sit in the shop while the order comes in. Afterwards with work time etc, the repair costs you a grand in parts and labor not to mention potentially missing work and all the anxiety medication required...