General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Potentially Moving to .AU, Car Sale Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 01:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potentially Moving to .AU, Car Sale Questions

There is a chance that I may be transferred to .AU in Feb / March, which will force me to sell my 98 Trans Am. Unfortunately, the clutch is more or less shot (although completely driveable still), and I doubt the tires will pass safety, so I am left with the decision on what to do about them.

Would it be more beneficial to get a new clutch installed and put new tires on it, or reduce the amount to reflect it? I imagine I would have a lot harder time selling it with the clutch as it is.

I also have a dilemma as to whether to sell it now before the Winter comes, or try to sell it in the winter. End of year sales always seem to yield less value, however bringing a car out in Feb / March is too early. April at the earliest.

What are your opinions on the fixes / sale time?

Anyone from Ontario, Canada and interested?
Old 08-27-2006, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

logically..if I'm buying a car. I'll see the tires and say i'd have to pay xxx amount to have new ones put on...call it 800. then the clutch..I'd say 500 for a clutch 400 for an install. call it 1000 after tax...so I'd say take 1800ish off whatever your asking...but that me..doesn't mean you'd have to accept the offer, but keep in mind if you replace both of those...the value isn't 1800... the value is pretty much 0 because people expect to purchase the car in good condition. For one thing..I would NEVER buy a car that needs work.. i.e. a clutch because there could be other problems wrong that you don't notice because you can't get all the power down to the ground.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:00 PM
Teching In

With that being said then, would I list the car at a price I would sell it assuming that those items were in a sellable condition? I would have originally thought that I would knock off some cash in the list price knowing those items would be repaired, and then just not budge as much?
Old 08-27-2006, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cray
With that being said then, would I list the car at a price I would sell it assuming that those items were in a sellable condition? I would have originally thought that I would knock off some cash in the list price knowing those items would be repaired, and then just not budge as much?
always ask for more than you want, by a couple of grand..not so high that people skip right over it though. If you don't fix it, i'd make sure the seller knows it and list the car for how much you wanr, knowing that they will offer less for it because of the repairs needed.