General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Security Light On, Car Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006 | 01:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Default Security Light On, Car Won't Start

This isn't the first time this has happened, but my security light is on and when I turn the key, the car won't start. Nothing happens. Called a guy and he told me I'd have to turn the key just short of the start position three or four times, then turn it to there and leave it for about 15 minutes. After that, it should start, he said.

Also, I can't lock my doors with the keyless entry. If I do, about 30 seconds later, the alarm will sound.

What's up? Can I just disable that crap?

Tried to search twice, but it just spun for about two minutes each time.

Here's hoping my car will start...
Old 08-28-2006 | 02:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

When you turn the key off the security light will stay on for 3 minutes and then you can try it again. Try using your spare key, it may be the resistor in your key, may be worn. Sometimes it dose this if your chip or resistor on your key is wet. I get the same problem when I get a heavy rain or a car wash, in my case I need to make a cover for the ECM located on the passenger side firewall.
Old 08-28-2006 | 03:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Did both problems start simultaneously? Sounds like a BCM problem. Just the alarm going off right after arming is the shock sensor set too high or going bad - you can stop that by disconnecting it.
Old 08-28-2006 | 05:49 PM
Launching!

This happenened to me this summer. Looked it up and the cause can be a dirty key. I cleaned mine and the problem was solved.
Old 08-28-2006 | 07:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Talking

Here's a suggestion................. Stop stealing cars, turning them on with a flathead screwdriver will only work for so long before the ECU recognizes that the key is missing.
Old 08-28-2006 | 09:53 PM
11 Second Club

It's your key man.This happen to me and a buddy of mine.
Old 08-28-2006 | 11:39 PM
TECH Addict

Have you started the car a lot over its life? Is it a daily driver? Sees many key turns?

If by the off chance you have cleaned both your keys and the lock, checked fuses and PCM, then there is a chance it's the ignition lock module itself.

The problem you describe happened to my parent's Olds Aurora. It progressively got worse and worse till at it's height it took as much as an hour to coax it to start. Recall each try takes 3 mins each start, 5 attemted starts = 15 mins....

New lock cylinder with a new set of keys and the car starts first try everytime.
Old 08-29-2006 | 01:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SS#2906
Here's a suggestion................. Stop stealing cars, turning them on with a flathead screwdriver will only work for so long before the ECU recognizes that the key is missing.
Damnit!!! I knew that was the problem!

Daily Driven '99 w/ 106,000. Problems did not start simotainiously. The security light started after headers/intake/clutch install.

Howcan it be the key, though? I mean, the starting thing could, but not the other, right?

Sleepy. Read everyone's post. Thanks. Will check everything. Keep you updated.
Old 08-29-2006 | 02:24 AM
12 Second Club

Sharpe, i have the exact same problem. i solved the alarm system thing by just unplugging the whole damn alarm completely. but my car still doesnt start sometimes and my security light was on...
Old 09-11-2006 | 06:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Well, I washed my key when I said I would above, and it's been this long since it did is so I guess it was a dirty key. Still... Not sure if I should believe it yet. But, here's hoping.