General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

1996 Firebird or T/A purchase

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 08:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Firebird or T/A purchase

Sorry if this seems like a noob question.

Let me start by telling you my situation. My old Nissan Sentra has 145k miles on it, and while it has never given me trouble, at 145k it's time to start thinking about a replacement. I've decided I want something that's a bit more entertaining to drive than a 110 hp 4 cylinder. I like the high reliability of imports, but the bottom line is that Japan no longer makes a car that is stylish, fun to drive, and has the low end torque I want, and that I can afford. Japan is now defined by such abominations as the Scion xB and Toyota Matrix. Ugh.

Firebirds are going for pretty cheap right now, so I'm considering getting one. I'd prefer a T/A, but as I'll have to drive this to work (I only live 5 miles from my office, so I won't be putting a lot of miles on it) the fuel economy is kind of scaring me off a bit. I don't have super extensive automotive knowledge, but I understand that a low restriction exhaust system can, in some vehicles, improve fuel economy. Has anyone determined what kind of fuel economy you can get with an LT1 powered T/A or Formula with modified exhaust?
Old 09-05-2006, 09:53 AM
Staging Lane

On the highway with a 6spd I have 29-30 mpg around town if you can keep your foot out of it 21-23 mpg drop a mile or 2 off of these for an auto is what I've found
Old 09-05-2006, 09:57 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by PLOEG
On the highway with a 6spd I have 29-30 mpg around town if you can keep your foot out of it 21-23 mpg drop a mile or 2 off of these for an auto is what I've found
Really? That's much better than I would've though, considering the stats are telling me it's going to be around 25-26 mpg for the LT1 V8. What brand of exhaust system do you have, if you use one?
Old 09-05-2006, 11:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You work 5 miles from home and you're concerned with fuel economy
Old 09-05-2006, 11:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by OnA Fan
You work 5 miles from home and you're concerned with fuel economy
I do more driving on the weekends. I'm also, unfortunately, a severe tightwad. I've loosened a little bit (kinda have to when you're talking about buying cars) but I go to great lengths to keep the cost of ownership of everything I own as low as possible.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jamesp81
I do more driving on the weekends. I'm also, unfortunately, a severe tightwad. I've loosened a little bit (kinda have to when you're talking about buying cars) but I go to great lengths to keep the cost of ownership of everything I own as low as possible.
i think the stuff from japan looks a lot better than it did 15 years ago. a new nissan sentra looks a hell of a lot better than an old one - my g/f has an '05 but i get better gas mileage with a 5.7L LS1

nissan has never been known for outstanding quality. if you're such a tightwad and stickler for quality - go with a late-model toyota or honda.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Silver02TA
i think the stuff from japan looks a lot better than it did 15 years ago. a new nissan sentra looks a hell of a lot better than an old one - my g/f has an '05 but i get better gas mileage with a 5.7L LS1

nissan has never been known for outstanding quality. if you're such a tightwad and stickler for quality - go with a late-model toyota or honda.
The Toyotas and Hondas just aren't fun though. The Celica is marginal. Great handling, good styling (a bit girly though) but the low end torque is almost non-existent. Honda has the Acura RSX which is both expensive, not all that quick, and not attractive to look at.

How do you get such high mileage with an LS1?
Old 09-05-2006, 02:28 PM
TECH Resident

Get an LT1...all the modded ones I've seen sound better than the modded LS1's in my area
Old 09-05-2006, 02:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Smoke Panther
Get an LT1...all the modded ones I've seen sound better than the modded LS1's in my area
I was planning on an LT1, around a 95-96 model. That was near the end of the LT1 production, so any bugs in the design would've been worked out by then (I also want something that I can count on to run). My dad has a 96 Vette with the LT1 and you're right; it makes a wicked sound.

What I want to know is how some people are getting such high fuel economy out of them. Stock, the Lt1 w/ manual transmission is supposed to get about 25 mpg on the highway. That's semi-rough fuel mileage when it's premium fuel we're talking about. Some, however, are getting 29-30 mpg, and I'd like to know how that's done. I know that a low restriction exhaust helps in some vehicles, but I'd like to know if that's all that needs to be done or if there is something else I should do.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

I was planning on an LT1, around a 95-96 model. That was near the end of the LT1 production, so any bugs in the design would've been worked out by then (I also want something that I can count on to run). My dad has a 96 Vette with the LT1 and you're right; it makes a wicked sound.

What I want to know is how some people are getting such high fuel economy out of them. Stock, the Lt1 w/ manual transmission is supposed to get about 25 mpg on the highway. That's semi-rough fuel mileage when it's premium fuel we're talking about. Some, however, are getting 29-30 mpg, and I'd like to know how that's done. I know that a low restriction exhaust helps in some vehicles, but I'd like to know if that's all that needs to be done or if there is something else I should do.
the rated 25 on these cars is an average. which means it could be more, it could be less. depends on so many things... tire wear/balance/pressure, a/c on or off, and most of all your foot.

i just came back from clearwater, fl a few months ago and clocked 30mpg with a/c off; a 6th gear really helps keep the gas mileage to a minimum on the highway as well of course. damn impressive numbers IMO; twice of what a V8 Ford F-150 gets with a smaller size motor... and much better than any Mustang that I've owned.

now if i drive 'normally' around town, i'd say that # drops to about 17-18 and when i'm driving with 'spirit', that drops to about 13, haha... so i wouldn't say an important pro factor of these cars is great gas mileage; because you're still going to hammer it down and get bad mpgs from time-to-time. if your MAIN objective is fun, it's for you though.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i'm probably getting anywhere from 19-24 mph on mostly highway mild city driving dependant on how i drive (A/C use, right foot, etc.)

i'm pretty stock modded. i accept that, considering a 5.7 v8.

why not look for like a 97-99 ta or ws6..
Old 09-05-2006, 04:17 PM
Teching In

the rated 25 on these cars is an average. which means it could be more, it could be less. depends on so many things... tire wear/balance/pressure, a/c on or off, and most of all your foot.

i just came back from clearwater, fl a few months ago and clocked 30mpg with a/c off; a 6th gear really helps keep the gas mileage to a minimum on the highway as well of course. damn impressive numbers IMO; twice of what a V8 Ford F-150 gets with a smaller size motor... and much better than any Mustang that I've owned.

now if i drive 'normally' around town, i'd say that # drops to about 17-18 and when i'm driving with 'spirit', that drops to about 13, haha... so i wouldn't say an important pro factor of these cars is great gas mileage; because you're still going to hammer it down and get bad mpgs from time-to-time. if your MAIN objective is fun, it's for you though.
My main objective is fun, I just don't want to have to choose between fueling my auto and getting thrown out of my house due to late rent payments, you know. That's why I'd be looking at a custom exhaust system; to make the fun stuff a little easier to afford. I might be constrained, due to budget, to the V6 base model, although I'm not sure how dependable that engine is (the LT1 seems to be very solid to me).

If I had the money, I'd simply buy one and stick it in the garage, except on weekends and drive my beater to work. However, paying insurance on two vehicles is completely out of the question.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Finite1
i'm probably getting anywhere from 19-24 mph on mostly highway mild city driving dependant on how i drive (A/C use, right foot, etc.)

i'm pretty mildly modded. i accept that, considering a 5.8 v8.

Old 09-05-2006, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i'm actually ashamed of that typo.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Finite1

i'm pretty stock modded. i accept that, considering a 5.7 v8.

I'm a little more comfortable with the LT1. It's older, and probably not as fast, but also probably has all the bugs long since worked out of it.

I'm just a little worried about overextending myself financially putting gas in the thing. Honestly, I'm sure I could afford it but it really cuts into my monthly savings (I tend to put away around 30% of my paycheck). It's a shame too, because I'm looking at autotrader and I'm seeing 94-96 Trans Ams and Formulas with LT1 engines, low miles, good condition going for dirt cheap ($6k - $9k range). That's one heck of a lot of car for not a lot of money. It's hard to pass that up.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:55 PM
TECH Addict

I'm a little more comfortable with the LT1. It's older, and probably not as fast, but also probably has all the bugs long since worked out of it.

I'm just a little worried about overextending myself financially putting gas in the thing. Honestly, I'm sure I could afford it but it really cuts into my monthly savings (I tend to put away around 30% of my paycheck). It's a shame too, because I'm looking at autotrader and I'm seeing 94-96 Trans Ams and Formulas with LT1 engines, low miles, good condition going for dirt cheap ($6k - $9k range). That's one heck of a lot of car for not a lot of money. It's hard to pass that up.
where are you located? my dad has a white 97 t/a for sale @ 8300
Old 09-06-2006, 09:04 AM
Teching In

where are you located? my dad has a white 97 t/a for sale @ 8300
I'm located in Western Kentucky.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

its hard to take what people say for mileage as good numbers when they say that they get this in city and this on highway? how do they figure that out..fill up and then JUST drive on teh high way and then fill up and figure it out...same for the city...thats not a good representation of mpg because they aren't driving normally most likely, plus its unrealistic to JUST drive on the highway or city.

I check my mileage on every fill up. I reset the odometer tracking thingy, drive till i fill up my car(usually a lil past 1/4 left) and then i take the amount of gallons required to make the gas pump click and divide that into the miles that I drove and thats what i get. i average 26-29 to a tank with a good mix of highway drivign(60mph in 6th gear) and city driving (usualyl 40ish in 5th gear) i also go full throttle through 1st and 2nd around once a day.

This is with a 01 ls1 though...lt1s should be a little bit less, but its all in how you drive. If your work is only 5 miles age, your car probably wouldn't even be up to operating temp and still in warm up mode..which runs the car richer, so you'd probably average quite a bit less. sorry for the long response, but let me leave you with this..... my friendused to have a performance car, loved it..sold it, got a slow 4cyl car. Was like you..except he probably saved a lil more..maybe 60-70% of his money. Crashed the crappy car. Now he is looking at a evo....you gotta enjoy life some how..you only live it once. when ever I have a bad day, getting in my car and ripping it through 1st and 2nd almost always makes me feel better.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
when ever I have a bad day, getting in my car and ripping it through 1st and 2nd almost always makes me feel better.
AMEN.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:47 AM
In Need of Cup Holders!

If youre concerned about gas milage, dont even consider an auto. Stick with the 6 speed. If you keep the a/c off and dont drive like a maniac, its easy to get 25 mpg on the highway or better.

The only thing with the LT1 that sucks, is working on it. Everything is a chore on the car. But, you can usually find LT1's for cheaper than LS1s. So it might be worth it for you.