General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Air Bag

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006 | 09:34 AM
Teching In

Default Air Bag

i was wanting to install an aftermarket steering wheel, does anybody know how to disable and remove the airbag box. and maybe be able to still use the factory horn with doing a lot mods. with the wiring
Old 09-06-2006 | 10:29 PM
TECH Regular

well.. i dunno about removing the air bag.. but for the horn, alls u gotta do is find the wire in the steering wheel column that goes to the horn.. hook it up, and voila!
Old 09-07-2006 | 05:44 PM
TECH Addict

The easiest way to disable the airbag is to disconnect the airbag control module that is underneath the center console. However, this will disable the passenger side airbag also. If that's not a problem, it's only one connector to disconnect. I don't have a clue on the horn.
Old 09-21-2006 | 01:07 AM
TECH Regular

OK to su this up..the Airbag modlue needs to be disconnected...To take the airbag out, there are 2 screws that hold it in behind the airbag itself..I think its 2 anyways..ANd i think they are torks..anyways..that will disable the airbag ..than there is just the horn wire .. discconect it and cut the end off..hook it up to your after market streeing wheel.. .the way a horn works is it a big switch..by the way...to get your car inspected..in most if not ALL states..you have to have an airbag if you car came with one...Just FYI
Old 09-21-2006 | 06:28 AM
'Bird Director
20 Year Member

From: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant

Search for this subject. There are several members here that have replaced the factory steering wheel for racing purposes. I've seen a few threads in the Drag Racing Tech Forum in the past.