General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

99vs02

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 11:49 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 99vs02

I have detailed the differences that I see between 99-02. Some things I understand and some I do not. I would kinda like a 99 with lower miles at a GOOD price over an 02 with more miles/higher price, but if these items matter, let me know!!! I have posted the item/? beside it. Experienced ppl/techs help!

LS6 intake (worth 10hp, no questions)

LS6 hydrolics/clutch (what does this matter on a stock car, can I feel a difference shifting/driving it? Will it last a lot longer or something?)

Tightened main bearing clearances (really...are they? Does it matter?)

LS6 oil pump (does this matter?)

Different blocker rings in the tranny (I have heard the pre 01's get torn up with synthetic fluide? Are these better/more durable, whats up??)

EGR delete and addition of pup-cats (any real hp gained/lost here?)

Different exhaust maniflds (do they flow better or worse or does it matter?)

Truck cam (does it pull harder down low that you can tell, or is this just a change on paper basically?)

Thanks, I am getting closer to purchase and have found a couple of potential buyers for my dad's property (what this purchase hinges on). And am starting to try and pare down my choices so I know EXACTLY what I am after. So far this board has been AWESOME!!! and offered some great advice, THANKS!
Old 09-27-2006, 12:04 AM
NKAWTG...N

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a much more detailed list of changes:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....80&postcount=2
Old 09-27-2006, 12:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by StoleIt
Here is a much more detailed list of changes:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....80&postcount=2

I picked the one's that I thought would matter the most from a power/durability standpoint from that very link The FAQ just didnt answer all of the particular questions I had.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:33 AM
NKAWTG...N

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah, well I think the difference in upgrades from 99 to 02 is worth probably about 500 bucks total. Really only the Ls6 intake is the gem when it gets down to serious modding. The difference in the cam is a joke, and you would probably replace the cam anyway. Most people port the stock ls6 oil pump anyway. EGR can be a bitch, but if you go FAST or singleplane intake you ditch it anyway.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by StoleIt
Ah, well I think the difference in upgrades from 99 to 02 is worth probably about 500 bucks total. Really only the Ls6 intake is the gem when it gets down to serious modding. The difference in the cam is a joke, and you would probably replace the cam anyway. Most people port the stock ls6 oil pump anyway. EGR can be a bitch, but if you go FAST or singleplane intake you ditch it anyway.

Are the 01-02 syncros/blocker rings carbon lined vs. paper of the 98-00 like I have been hearing?
Old 09-27-2006, 12:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stanger88
I have detailed the differences that I see between 99-02. Some things I understand and some I do not. I would kinda like a 99 with lower miles at a GOOD price over an 02 with more miles/higher price, but if these items matter, let me know!!! I have posted the item/? beside it. Experienced ppl/techs help!

LS6 intake (worth 10hp, no questions)

Correct

LS6 hydrolics/clutch (what does this matter on a stock car, can I feel a difference shifting/driving it? Will it last a lot longer or something?)

The difference felt between the 2 will be minimal, what you need to be concerned about is how the previous owner drove the car.

Tightened main bearing clearances (really...are they? Does it matter?)

Uncertain

LS6 oil pump (does this matter?)

Yes and No, some people really bash the 98-00 oil pump, although they are known to fail moreso than the LS6 pumps, it is usually always at low milage (we're talking 5-15k) if it lives past that it is a good pump with a good spring.

Different blocker rings in the tranny (I have heard the pre 01's get torn up with synthetic fluide? Are these better/more durable, whats up??)

Uncertain

EGR delete and addition of pup-cats (any real hp gained/lost here?)

No real gain/loss of anything here

Different exhaust maniflds (do they flow better or worse or does it matter?)

The newer style manifolds do flow better than the 98-00, they are very closel to shortie headers in terms of flow

Truck cam (does it pull harder down low that you can tell, or is this just a change on paper basically?)

Truck cam is smaller than the 98-00 cam, some say the later models recieved this cam to offset the LS6 intake so the 01/02's wouldn't be significantly faster.

Thanks, I am getting closer to purchase and have found a couple of potential buyers for my dad's property (what this purchase hinges on). And am starting to try and pare down my choices so I know EXACTLY what I am after. So far this board has been AWESOME!!! and offered some great advice, THANKS!
I hope some of that helps!
Old 09-27-2006, 01:14 AM
Banned

It does a lot, THANKS! My main concerns are the main tolerances and the tranny syncros, lol, the only 2 that we are uncertain on
Old 09-27-2006, 01:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stanger88
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...4&page=3&pp=20
Old 09-27-2006, 05:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Personally I would buy on price and condition.

98 is the model year to be weary off, not for any bad reasons, but it has the earlier PCM and heads. These cars are extremely capable but in some cases can be more of a pain to tune.

Personally I'd look 99-02.

In reality although there are some minor changes they all produce within 20HP of each other. The only real important difference is the LS6 intake manifold but you can buy these new for $400, so that's the price difference I feel is justified between the model years.

EGR - the milder 01/2 cam allows internal EGR. None gain in HP from lag of it as EGR has no affect on HP in any form.

the rest of the changes don't mean anything in the real world. Stock for stock performance is pretty identical and if you mod you'll swap out all the different parts regardless. Such as exhuast manifolds. They are all crap, LT's are the only sensible option n/a.

Same goes for the cats - ALL factory ones suck and most will go for ORY or aftermarket catted Y.

Oil pump - common choice is a ported LS6 unit if you go h/c. They are not pricey. Bolt on wise I see no issues.

One other thing not mentioned is injector size, 99 had the smallest injectors. 26lb I think where as 00+ had 28lb. Not really any difference, both fine for bolt on. And a h/c would really require new injectors for either setup.

If I could buy a 99 substantially cheaper than a 02 in similar condition and miles then I'd go for the 99 everytime.

Best thing set your budget and see what you can get for it.