General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Buying a new Camaro sunday, what should I look for?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 11:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a new Camaro sunday, what should I look for?

I think I'm buying a new car Sunday. It's a 94 z28 with a 383 stroker, heads/cam, that kind of stuff.

Basically the body has 125k miles, the engine has 45k miles, it has a new 700r4 with 5000 miles on it, and it has a rebuilt 10 bolt in it with Moser 3.73s.

What things should I look for on this car? The price is good, the location is good, and I really want this car but after watching my friend buy a money pit and dumping tons and tons of money in to it, I want to do it right the first time.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:11 PM
Staging Lane

Well.. heres something to ask..

1. Why is he selling it?
2. Who put in the motor?

Sadly thats the only 2 things i can think of lol... I would be hesitatent (sp) to buy something like that cuz its probaly pretty obvious it was ran hard.. I dont know y else someone would put in a 383... I dont know y someoen would put a 700R4 tranny in it... I have hear alot of bad things about them not holding very much power.. Even the ones that are suppose too...
Old 09-29-2006, 03:20 PM
TECH Regular

Need to look at body bolts, see if they match or any are missing, also look for a line painted on the bolt and nut, these are signs of remeoved and replaced a damaged item. Fenders and hood.
You said that you dont want to dump a bunch of money into it and do it right the first time, then I suggest you pass on this car. Look in the for sale section you can find a better car unless your getting that one for just a few thousand. - Mike
Old 09-29-2006, 03:23 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by FlashLCD33
after watching my friend buy a money pit and dumping tons and tons of money in to it, I want to do it right the first time.

All cars are money pits, however some cars are actualy fast money pits
Old 09-29-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take it for a test drive and see if the oil pressure holds, see how the tranny shifts, and see if its leaking any fluids or burning oil, etc...Also, as someone else said, ask him where the engine was built and installed, what parts were used, etc...if it looks like a good deal then go for it
Old 09-29-2006, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If its a t-top car make sure they dont leak! Listen for any noises (especially from that 10 bolt). Make sure you actually get on it too, see if everything holds up. I would personally get a list of all the mods the car has too, just so you know whats stock and what isnt.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:17 PM
11 Second Club

holy double post edit

Last edited by FlashLCD33; 09-30-2006 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Hypnotiq
Well.. heres something to ask..

1. Why is he selling it?
2. Who put in the motor?

Sadly thats the only 2 things i can think of lol... I would be hesitatent (sp) to buy something like that cuz its probaly pretty obvious it was ran hard.. I dont know y else someone would put in a 383... I dont know y someoen would put a 700R4 tranny in it... I have hear alot of bad things about them not holding very much power.. Even the ones that are suppose too...
He's needing a truck and decided he wants a Lightning.

"You said that you dont want to dump a bunch of money into it and do it right the first time, then I suggest you pass on this car. Look in the for sale section you can find a better car unless your getting that one for just a few thousand. - Mike"

I thought about this, but this is the only car I've found decently local (still 4 hour drive) that is in nice shape. I've been looking for nearly a year and have turned down many cars for various reasons, I'm not buying the first car I've found and I sure as hell wont settle for a POS.

"All cars are money pits, however some cars are actualy fast money pits"

I know what ya mean. this is probably going to be a money pit but at least it's fast. My friend mentioned above has $17,500 into his car including purchase price and it's just now being worth about $6000.

"Take it for a test drive and see if the oil pressure holds, see how the tranny shifts, and see if its leaking any fluids or burning oil, etc...Also, as someone else said, ask him where the engine was built and installed, what parts were used, etc...if it looks like a good deal then go for it"

I plan on doing this but it may be kind of hard to do. My mom will be with me (yep I'm 17.. go figure) so I won't be able to get on it too much, because I don't want to scare her away from it (it is a 383 stroker with heads/cam after all).

"If its a t-top car make sure they dont leak! Listen for any noises (especially from that 10 bolt). Make sure you actually get on it too, see if everything holds up. I would personally get a list of all the mods the car has too, just so you know whats stock and what isnt."

Yes it's a ttop car, are you suggesting I run it through the car wash? . The 10 bolt is brand new, 500 miles, not even broken in yet. Well the gears are new, not the rear end (changed to 3.73s). I have a full list of mods done to the car (or the major stuff at least).

A really good thing about this deal is my banker told me about an extended warranty they have, it's $24 a month added to my loan but it covers all engine/transmission/rearend problems. I'm definatly going for that because with low miles on the rear end and transmission they could be factory defects waiting to happen. I think this will even cover rear end damage from me
Old 09-30-2006, 06:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

open the oil cap, look in the underside for anything strange

also, pop open the radiator cap when the car is cool
Old 09-30-2006, 11:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FlashLCD33
A really good thing about this deal is my banker told me about an extended warranty they have, it's $24 a month added to my loan but it covers all engine/transmission/rearend problems. I'm definatly going for that because with low miles on the rear end and transmission they could be factory defects waiting to happen. I think this will even cover rear end damage from me

Im pretty sure that would be a waste of money.....I know they will not warranty a aftermarket engine. You can actually be denied a claim on your car insurance too, since its not a stock car.

Back in 1988, I purchased a 1984 Z-28 5.0 HO..( I was 18 )...The first thing my insurance guy (Farmers) asked was if it was stock, because they could/would not insure it, if it was not stock. I still put a 350 in it later, but always wondered what would have happened if I had to make a claim...luckily I never had to find out.

Use caution and let the insurance and bank know what your buying, if you dont and they find out otherwise, its called misrepresentation (sp?) and you can be denied on a claim. Of course I chose to not let them know, but got lucky.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:48 PM
TECH Regular

buy a stock Z28 or SS and mod it yourself. It will save you a lot of possible headaches and you will have a good feeling knowing that you built it and not somebody else.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:17 PM
11 Second Club

Im really trying to find a stock or lightly modded car but there are none within a decent range.

And it turns out I'm not getting it tomorrow, hopefully this coming week, but maybe not at all.