General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

exhaust / cam question and more...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 08:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default exhaust / cam question and more...

my (dumbass) friend insists i put single chamber flowmasters and 3" pipes minus cat converters on my SS, i've heard NOT to go with Flo's on here, thoughts?

i like the looks of Texas Speed's Magic Stick, 239/242, .649"/.609" for $390. they say 60+ rwhp gains on a stock motor are typical, is there a better bang for my buck?

Obviously i need to tune it, but where?

SLP air lid, good call, yay, nay?

the car is a 2000 SS 6-speed. i don't want to dump a ton of money it, but i want a good 12 second street car, 12.50s would satisfy.

what's it take guys/gals? this is my first LS1 car, i dunno what the good stuff is yet. any help would be great, thanks.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your not going to be able to just "throw" that cam in your car...its a pretty big cam which will require alot of head work and full exhaust....

with the car you have you can run 12's with full bolt ons....think about your money and what you really want to do

with a smaller cam, good set of heads, full bolt ons and a tune...you can run alot better then a 12.5 in a m6 car

try a tr224/224 114lsa and some cnc'd 5.3 heads.....
Old 10-16-2006, 09:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah magic stick cars run pretty solid 11's and gutted cars are in the high 10's with race setups. the 224 cams and even 229 cams are sweet.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you go with a true dual system with flowmaster single chamber mufflers those flow very well and sound badass, its the flowmaster crossflow muffler that comes in the ls1 catback that sucks. Also, the MS3 is good, but the G5X3 from LG motorsports is better. It makes a ton of power throughout the powerband while the MS3 is a more top end cam. Also, 12.50 can easily be done with either fo the two cams, but you have to be able to hook, which means you need good tires, which means you could break your stock 10-bolt rear-end. In addition, your going to need longtube headers (pacesetters if on a budget or Kooks stainless if not on a budget), ls6 intake manifold, ported throttlebody, underdrive pulley, and lid. The headers are the only necessity but the ls6 intake, ported TB, and underdrive pulley really help out. That being said with full bolt-ons (headers, true duals, lid, and nittos) you should be able to hit mid 12's. As for tuning check out the sponsors on the right side of the homepage and see if there are any in your area.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't need "a lot of head work" to run the MS4. It'll work fine on stock heads with the appropriate valvetrain upgrades (valvesprings, pushrods).

As far as exhaust the single chamber flowmasters are badass on dual setups.....soundclips of mine in sig.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:08 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
You don't need "a lot of head work" to run the MS4. It'll work fine on stock heads with the appropriate valvetrain upgrades (valvesprings, pushrods).

As far as exhaust the single chamber flowmasters are badass on dual setups.....soundclips of mine in sig.
Haha when he asked I was trying to remeber your user name because I listened to your clip and couldnt believe how awesome they sound. After showing the clip to my buddy he ran out and got dumped duals with single flowmasters. They dont sound quite as good as your because he has the basic bolt-ons and kooks headers (no cam yet) but still they sound nasty.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic