General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Anyone know anything about OHIO Collector Plates?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 12:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question Anyone know anything about OHIO Collector Plates?

Hi all. For about a month now, I have been trying to figure out some facts about Ohio Collector plates. I have went to the liscence beureu, searched the internet and this website and nobody seems to have any info. Unfortunately, I live in Cuyahoga County (1 of only 8 counties required in this state to be checked) I bought this car to learn more about building up a performance car (I work in a mechanic shop where usually, the fastest car that comes in is a minivan, lol). Well, I was informed by the local LS1 shop owner I know, that my '98 Bird can now get collector plates, and I wouldn't have to go through e-check anymore. So I got the paperwork to apply for collector plates, and that's confusing as hell, w/ nobody who works for the state that knows anything. I talked to the head of the e-check station since i work right next door to them, and he told me that he wasn't sure, but he said that I could only drive my car in parades and car shows (screw that, it's getting drivin every nice day i can)

I want to get some non-emission headers, ORY (I can just put some gutted cats under if needed), egr delete, air delete etc. And just build the hell out of the car (very wishful thinking) If I do all of that, I won't pass. So my question is.... Am I absolutely exempt from being checked if I fork out the $$ for collector plates? Any local Ohioans know any info?

Any help is greatly appriciated, thanks for your time

Mark Jr.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is the form that pretty much has the answer you seek.

Winning link right here -->
http://bmv.ohio.gov/vehicle_registra...tor_plates.htm

http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/pdf_forms/4803.pdf

Originally Posted by Ohio BMV Website link above
In an effort to ensure that all vehicles registered as collector vehicles are truly collectible, the Bureau of Motor Vehicles references the National Automobile Dealers Association and The Complete Book of Collectible Cars 1930-1990 (Consumer Guide) to determine vehicles that are true collector vehicles. Although we recognize that a vehicle may be unique because of time, energy and investment expended by the owner, these publications are used in determining eligibility for collector’s license plates. Due to a administrative ruling, vehicle models not listed in the above publications may be considered collector vehicles if the applicant obtains documentation from the manufacturer that the vehicle was in limited production, is in demand as a collectible vehicle at the time of application or a sizable investment can be proven.
My interpretation of that is limited production, even being 1967-2002, production has CEASED on said make/model. Sizable investment, take it all your mod receipts. ****, they should GIVE me a plate with all the money I've put it.

Originally Posted by Ohio BMV Collector plate application form link above
This vehicle is not the only motor vehicle registered in my name and is not my principal means of transportation. This vehicle is of special interest, being of special make, model, or style, and is maintained as a collector’s item, leisure pursuit, or investment. If requested, I can supply paperwork from a car club, auto collector, or other proof that this is a vehicle of special interest. This application is made in good faith and not to evade any law, including Ohio Revised Code section 3704.14, which requires vehicle emission testing in some Ohio counties.
Here is the stinger though. This CANNOT be your daily driver and it looks like, according to the last line, that you cannot "evade any law" which states "vehicle emission testing". Sorry.

But I know all together to well how the Ohio BMV works. Your "straight answer" is a friggin' right angle. Good luck.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the help.

My interpretation of that is limited production, even being 1967-2002, production has CEASED on said make/model. Sizable investment, take it all your mod receipts. ****, they should GIVE me a plate with all the money I've put it.
Wish I had mod receipts, orig. owner doesn't have them anymore either, but I do have a $400 one for a torque arm, lol. I think I need $2000 worth of upgrades (buddy told me that since he managed to get them on his slammed cutty)

Here is the stinger though. This CANNOT be your daily driver and it looks like, according to the last line, that you cannot "evade any law" which states "vehicle emission testing". Sorry.
Luckily, this car is only my nice day driver, I have read the "law evading e-check" thing, but i'm not evading any law, i am merely using this vehicle for "collecting" purposes, lol

-I keep hearing from people that I won't need it, then some say yes i do. The form doesn't say that I am "required" to get it done, so I am not exactly sure how to interpret that. I think that they may mean that people can't try to get their beat to crap cars, collector plates to get out of e-check. I'm not sure though. I think I will call Columbus tomorrow and see what they say. I see '98's around here all day w/ collector plates, who knows. From what you posted, I did find another form that I didn't know existed. Thanks for all of your help. I appriciate it. Sounds like I may have to settle for some "emissions friendly" crap performance parts. Hopefully not though

Thanks again!

Mark Jr.

Quick Reply: Anyone know anything about OHIO Collector Plates?