General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Do you let your motor warm up?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 12:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i let my car warm up to full tep befroe i drive it anywhere..it sucks cause i have a 160 t sat and it takes forever...so i dont need to?
Old 10-29-2006, 12:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 04gtoBMXracer
i let my car warm up to full tep befroe i drive it anywhere..it sucks cause i have a 160 t sat and it takes forever...so i dont need to?
Holly hell No dude, u sure don't.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

actually letting a car sit at idle...at temp....isnt good for it....a car sitting at idle for more then two minutes without moving in a hot temp puts a good amount of strain on the motor....
Old 10-29-2006, 11:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by staringback05
actually letting a car sit at idle...at temp....isnt good for it....a car sitting at idle for more then two minutes without moving in a hot temp puts a good amount of strain on the motor....

Those are fighting words in this place with all the old school way of thinking. We are not waiting for cold idle to come down on these cars. Tolerances are alot tighter on these engines then they were when "warming them up" was mandatory. My great grandmother still pumped the gas pedal and revved the engine up alot on her 1995 buick century because thats what you had to do in the past when she learned how to start driving. People carry what they learned in the past to what the do in the present/future, even though the cars are WAY different.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

i think you misunderstood what i posted.......im saying sittin in traffic or a long red light...isnt healthy for the car...also when starting the car, you dont need to let it heat all the way up....just to where the idle comes down and keep it under 2k rpms until the car hits operating temp...
Old 10-29-2006, 11:22 PM
TECH Addict

I know exactly what your talking about. You think gassers have an "idle to long" problem, look at the diesel truck world. They will let a truck sit and idle for an hour because 30 years ago it was hard to start them, and fuel was cheap. Now its not that hard on them to be started and fuel is thru the roof, yet you still see trucks idle on the side of the road
Old 10-29-2006, 11:24 PM
TECH Resident

just jump in and go after about 10seconds
Old 10-29-2006, 11:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

a diesel engine is a totally different issue then a gasoline engine....30 secs...and my car is driving down the road
Old 10-30-2006, 01:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
The not switching to synthetic is a bit of a myth. If you are worried about deposits breaking off (I wouldn't want them to stay in the motor!) put some seafoam in it before taking the old oil out.
Not a myth because Ive witnessed it a bunch of times, one reason is because over here you can barely find conventional oil... (everything is synthetic), so when guys buy some high mileage American car and bring it here they right away change to synthetic and start having problems.

Just like tranny fluid, your not supposed to change it if it hasnt been done on a schedule.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:35 AM
On The Tree

Well, I put the gas pedal to the floor and turn the key. It hits the limiter immediately, then I throw it in reverse and spin tires back down the driveway and while still rolling backwards with my foot to the floor I slam it in drive, it kinda makes a loud clanking sound but it goes away after I spin tires back up the driveway and into the street. By then I'm almost up to operating temp so I just keep it floored until I get to work, then I yank up the e-brake to slide into my spot sideways.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:11 AM
Staging Lane

FWIW BMW's M5 with the V10 engine has little lights on the rev to show how much you can accelerate to when cold. I.e. when you first get in the lights will show that you should rev past 3000rpm, as the car warms the lights grafully wink out until you can use the whole performance.

Not letting a car get to running temp before whipping it can be very very bad for the car. Firstly the oil will be much much more viscous when cold- yourev the engine too hard and you will eventually blow an oil seal- whihc could mean bye bye motor. Also oils don't protect the engine well until they are warm and runny- revving the engine hard really batters the surfaces together hard and leads to premature wear on things lke the big end shells etc. Coversely labouring the engine hard at low revs whilst warming the car up can be just as bad for it.

Most engines and drievtrains will take a full 15 minutes to warm up from average mornign temperatures of 50-60degrees farenheit. I have a cobra kit car which can take up to 25 minutes when started on a cold and wet british morning. Of course the tyres never get up to temp then anyway so i can't drive it fast without flinging it off the road lol
Old 10-30-2006, 02:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Charging TA

Just like tranny fluid, your not supposed to change it if it hasnt been done on a schedule.
What do you mean by this??
Old 11-04-2006, 02:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Charging TA
For real man, what the hell? So if the previous owner didn't change my tranny fluid at the proper interval I just shouldn't bother changing it at all until the transmission ***** up?
Old 11-04-2006, 05:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

I get in my car adjust radio, take off hand brake, put seatbelt on, take off sun visor and im gone, and easy driving till im at operating temp. I think it takes me 20 seconds more or less, before im on the road.

When i used to have my carberature truck i used to let it warm up. And when i bought my camaro at first i used to let it warm up but reading some info here, then i decided to do the routine i have now. When i got my oil anaylisis, they said everything looks fine and looks like im not doing any harm to my engine by the way i jump in my car and go.

I have a neighbor that used to let his 04 silverado idle for minutes before he'd drive off. After I sold my carburatur truck and got my camaro he saw that i just started my car, make adjustments and left. I noticed him idling his truck cause we used to leave work at around the same time, and i used to see him in his truck just idling his truck, while i just hopped in my car, made adjustments and left. But now, he just gets in his truck makes adjustment and leaves.

Though i'am gulity of some times -espeically in the past- burning rubber even on a cold engine. You know sometimes you just can't wait to hear the roar of the engine, i dont' do that no more though, now that im a little older.

Last edited by 98boxer; 11-04-2006 at 05:23 AM.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:40 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DarthQuaider
For real man, what the hell? So if the previous owner didn't change my tranny fluid at the proper interval I just shouldn't bother changing it at all until the transmission ***** up?
Exactly, Ill try to search for the thread about it...
Old 11-06-2006, 09:52 PM
11 Second Club

Best way to warm up the engine is by driving it. I just start and go.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DarthQuaider
Well, I put the gas pedal to the floor and turn the key. It hits the limiter immediately, then I throw it in reverse and spin tires back down the driveway and while still rolling backwards with my foot to the floor I slam it in drive, it kinda makes a loud clanking sound but it goes away after I spin tires back up the driveway and into the street. By then I'm almost up to operating temp so I just keep it floored until I get to work, then I yank up the e-brake to slide into my spot sideways.
I have read that is the best method. .........................
Old 11-06-2006, 11:55 PM
Teching In

Man,

I have a 65 Chevy with a 383 stroker and the only warm up time the car gets is whatever it takes to back it up out of the garage, then it's easy on the gas until I get to the freeway (1.5miles) at which point the temp is up to normal.

If you read a car's owner's manual, you'll see that engine warm up is not necessary...however, the manuals usually require light engine load (i.e., low rpm's, no hard accelaration) for the first few minutes until temp goes up.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:03 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I sit there for about a minute just to make sure the oil has everything covered in the top and bottom end.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:05 AM
Teching In

I start it up, put on my seatbelt, and go. Just the other day after work I did doughnuts, took it sideways down the road, and spun out into a bean field. IT WAS FUN!!! I'll take 30,000 miles of fast, fun, and destructive miles on a car over 250,000 miles of granny driving. You can't baby a car, it is a car, drive it. Don't wait for anything. You can't think of life as an inexhaustible well, everything only happens a limited number of times. Grow some ***** and have fun . Besides, rebuilding an engine is fun.

Quick Reply: Do you let your motor warm up?