General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

I fell off the wagon.........I am addicted.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 08:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I fell off the wagon.........I am addicted.

Brief history.
I had my hot rod in high school about 13 yrs. ago. It was a '78 Camaro with a built 406 with 450 hp and 460 tq at the crank. That is when I got addicted to modding. I was constsantly putting money in it. Long story short, my dad died shortly after i graduated and I live on my own and be "responsible" so I sold the camaro.

Fast forward to today. I got my '02 2 yrs ago. It went unchanged (lid, and catback were the only mods) until I put LTs. So now I want MORE!!

I is going to be hard to get my FIX with the boss (wife) giving me a hard time any time I get something for the Z. She doesn't think that it is PRACTICAL to INVEST in modding. She keeps pointing out the things around the house that needs attention.

I would love to get a H/C for the Z in the next month, but I don't know how to convince the wife. And I know that I won't stop there. I still need suspension, new rear. ect...

How do you guys convince your wife to allow for modding? And don't answer "I wear the pants around here, I make the money, I decide where to spend it" because we all know" if mamma aint happy, nobody is happy."
Old 10-30-2006, 08:55 AM
TECH Resident

if she's talkin about practicallity, go into her closest and count all the shoes she has...and then add up how much they're all worth. I'm willing to bet it'll be even for a H/C combo. If that plan falls thru, talk about it being an investment in "social capital"...you know, spending money on something that makes you feel good
Old 10-30-2006, 09:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My wife hates my hobby so I got a credit card with a 2500.00 limit, whatever I buy for my car get's paid off as soon as the bill comes. I have a seperate savings account at the credit union which I put so much money in every pay week, once I get enough to buy the parts I want I'll order them and pay the card off. Building credit while not getting in debt, my wife does the same with her shopping now so we both have a system for financing our hobbies. Just got to outsmart the female species, it's hard to do sometimes but we can do it. Good luck!
Old 10-30-2006, 09:22 AM
11 Second Club

I'm with 98-LS1 - The seperate account is the best way to keep your addiction under control (wraps). As long as she's not a wrench, she doesn't need to know how much a H/C package cost anyway...
Old 10-30-2006, 09:30 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Smoke Panther
if she's talkin about practicallity, go into her closest and count all the shoes she has...and then add up how much they're all worth. I'm willing to bet it'll be even for a H/C combo. If that plan falls thru, talk about it being an investment in "social capital"...you know, spending money on something that makes you feel good
Not to be off topic smoke, but what kinda gains did you see in cammin' the 3.8? Just curious to how they respond
Old 10-30-2006, 09:31 AM
Staging Lane

Make up some lame *** excuse that you are really dong it for her or the kids or something. One of my dads friend does that all the time and it works great. He has a 69 copo and 69' 396 375 chevelle that he bought as "investments" for his 2 daughters . Try hard you can make it work
Old 10-30-2006, 09:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or just find a woman that is into cars as much as you
Old 10-30-2006, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chpmnsws6

Those are rare, if you can find me a good looking one then I'll trade mine in. After two kids I wonder what the KBB value is on her ***, ah hell I'd pay someone to take her.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:23 AM
11 Second Club

I am sorry to hear all this. My wife dosent mind the modding, except when money is tight, with her almost done with her school and me just setteling in to my carrer ( I think I misspelled that) Money is tight, that why I look for used parts that are in good shape and cheap. thats helps alot.....tell her buying something like that is like 50% off at gottschalks
Old 10-30-2006, 10:35 AM
Launching!

Hello, My name is Kyle and I'm an addict...
As far as getting your wife to support your habit. Try finding someone in her family that either golfs or hunts. Inflate the cost of either of those "sports" and then calculate in all the time they spend away from their wives. Tell her you can mod your car for about the same money per year that either one of those two things would. Then explain to her you can do the mods in the garage while spending time with her. Have her hand you wrenches.... Keep in mind, this didn't work for me and the divorce was really expensive... Good luck!
Old 10-30-2006, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

my wife doesnt really care. we have sperate accounts and she goes buys those damm Coach purses and i dont say anything ,but i do get on the internet and start shop for my next mod. its all within limits though we dont put ourselves in debt. pay the **** cash. of course we save up.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98-LS1
Those are rare, if you can find me a good looking one then I'll trade mine in. After two kids I wonder what the KBB value is on her ***, ah hell I'd pay someone to take her.

thanks for the offer but i'll pass haha. She came outta no where, and she is not going anywhere
Old 10-30-2006, 11:48 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99camarosupersport
Not to be off topic smoke, but what kinda gains did you see in cammin' the 3.8? Just curious to how they respond
I'll let ya know sunday
Old 10-30-2006, 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

Good luck!
Old 10-30-2006, 03:24 PM
TECH Addict

Good luck with convincing her!!! I am addicted to power as well but I just cant afford anymore than the mods that I already have now lol....
Old 10-30-2006, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by firedog02z28
She doesn't think that it is PRACTICAL to INVEST in modding. She keeps pointing out the things around the house that needs attention.
Modding isn't practical to tell you the truth. VERY few people make money by modding their car. It is just something that you enjoy, and although some do more than others. Modding isn't an investment, it is MUCH cheaper to buy used parts over new, and you can tell just by checking the forsale thread. If you want practical, buy a Honda.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2002blackZ
Hello, My name is Kyle and I'm an addict...
As far as getting your wife to support your habit. Try finding someone in her family that either golfs or hunts. Inflate the cost of either of those "sports" and then calculate in all the time they spend away from their wives. Tell her you can mod your car for about the same money per year that either one of those two things would. Then explain to her you can do the mods in the garage while spending time with her. Have her hand you wrenches.... Keep in mind, this didn't work for me and the divorce was really expensive... Good luck!
That's some funny **** right there.
I work overtime for my mods, the wife does the same for her spending habits.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Only one of you came close: its not practical but it makes you happy.

Wimmin don't got by the rule book when it comes to comparing what she spends to what you spend, no linear thinking process takes place.at.all.

Yeah, the whole 'happy wife, happy life' thing comes into play but its the same for husbands too - all work and no play makes for a dull Johnny boy.
The best thing is to find the few things you do that make *you* happy (which means yes, you will have to go to that dreaded 'emotional' thought process) and let her know you will fix the toilet and deck and crap she comments/harps/nags about if you can have the mod money, a little at a time as she buys shoes/purses/clothing/HOUSE HOLD STUFF a little at a time.

Ya know that $175 floor rug? Um yeah. The house didn't NEED it but she bought it anyway. You might have been with her. Don't let that go to a "non counting purchase" as it is - you wouldn't have bought the damn thing and never thought it was needed, it makes her happy cuz it covers some stain or makes an entry nicer or a chair 'stand out'. (And for the record, chairs don't need to stand out, they need to be comfortable no matter what you are wearing or how clean it is). How about $300 for a comfortor cover. Well sure, it keeps you both warm but damn, there are $30 blankets that get the same job done.

So you see - you are trying to win a battle with a butterknife while she's holding a sword. Follow the 'it was for the house' money and add that compared to what will make you happier and more likely throw her into the car steaming up the windows like when you first met

ps: this comes from a wife so I know of which I speak....

psttps: letting her know you are bargain hunting doesn't work first. Buying something then showing her how much you saved does work - it has to be after the purchase and not before it.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

The best way is to buy one already modded.Maybe sell yours and buy a 98 or 99 with low miles and some pricy mods. Someone is always needing to sell.I got my 01 ws6,20,000 miles for around 17k.Already had a H/C pack,12bolt,midwest 3400 stall,and BMR susp package as well.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by chpmnsws6
..Like mine...