General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

ppl that think they have somthing special

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 08:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default ppl that think they have somthing special

how much would you pay for a 1997 A4 Camaro Z28 with 50k miles? 2 sets of new wheels.......you know......"perfect" condition

7-10k? mabye?

well some people think different.
i stumbled across an ad on a autotrader where a guy has a 1998 Z28 with 50K miles on it. it has "new" satin SS 10 spokes and chrome 5 star stockers. K&N and some other normal non stock bullshit.
he wants 19k for it............
i get so tired of people that think because they have a low mileage Camaro or Firebird/T/A they have somthing special. and the sad thing is that someone will actully pay that much for it. hell my 98 Z28 only had 45k miles on it when i bought it 2 months ago and i think 9k was pushing it, and it was in perfect garaged condition.

Last edited by bww3588; 10-31-2006 at 11:20 PM.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

7 is about there. Ya it seems they all think that because they dont make them anymore, or its the last year of the LTx, or first of the LSx, or it has a steering wheel, its *rare*
Old 10-31-2006, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I paid 12k for mine with 57k on it. All it had done was Lou's short stick, an SS hood, and a QTP electronic cutout.

The problem I had when I was looking for a car was finding one that wasn't beat on or didn't have a bunch of mods done to it. I wanted something as stock as possible but in good condition. I think my car was well taken care of. The hood needs to be repainted because when it was painted, they put too much paint on and it cracked around the scoop. Other than that, it's in great condition.

I'd like to see you find a car in my area with low mileage for a low price. I couldn't find any.

And about that AutoTrader ad... that's just ridiculous. No one will pay for that. They will look at the ads around that one and see that they are 10k less.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:46 PM
Staging Lane

19k for an lt1?? i just laughed when i saw that, not bashing the lt1, but when they were sill making them, you could get a formula or z28 ls1 for only a few grand more than that new, maybe 7k, but i'd still rather have an ls1 with a few more miles
Old 10-31-2006, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

To me I think 19k for an lt1 is ridiculous. that’s just my opinion.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:05 PM
NKAWTG...N

Let him ask what he wants. Maybe someone out there is stupid enough to buy it, in that case great for him! He did a great job selling his car and probably only lost about 5k over the near-decade he owned it.

Right now all your really doing is giving him free advertising, so your helping out this person you obviously disagree with.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think StoleIt is right on this one. Maybe talk about the topic but why add his autotrader into your post?
Old 10-31-2006, 11:21 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MjMaro
I think StoleIt is right on this one. Maybe talk about the topic but why add his autotrader into your post?
edited........better?
Old 10-31-2006, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wasn't trying to come off as an *******, but yeah it helps get your point out there in a better way. Some people try to play it off that since f-bodies arent being made anymore that they have to be rare. Sadly, many people just straight up believe it that arent educated about the cars. I guess when people can get away with hiking prices up and selling them to uneducated buyers, they will do it and continue to pocket the cash as long as it works.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:51 AM
12 Second Club

Ive seen a dealer that had a 94 Z28 6 speed with either 2,xxx miles just awesome condition. Anyway they wanted $2x,xxx for it. When I asked them why they wanted so much they said look what condition its in and so low of miles. They also said its a collecter car, I thought since with is a normal 94 Z28 6 speed a collector car. I never kept an eye on it to see what they got but I doubt it was anyway near the $20,000 price tag.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:32 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you are all wrong and the guy is a damn genius. Wifey says "sell the damn thing!" He says "Got her all posted up baby, sure am gonna miss her "
Old 11-01-2006, 01:33 AM
TECH Regular

I paid 12k for my 2000 z28 with 60k miles on it. They wanted 16k originally and I still think I got screwed a little figuring 3 of the driver's side exhaust manifold bolts had cracked off inside the head.

Also, the drivers side head was cracked on cylinder #7 between the intake and exhaust valve.

Oh well, new top end :-)
Old 11-01-2006, 06:19 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BLK85
Ive seen a dealer that had a 94 Z28 6 speed with either 2,xxx miles just awesome condition. Anyway they wanted $2x,xxx for it. When I asked them why they wanted so much they said look what condition its in and so low of miles. They also said its a collecter car, I thought since with is a normal 94 Z28 6 speed a collector car. I never kept an eye on it to see what they got but I doubt it was anyway near the $20,000 price tag.
yeah they did, somebody came along and said "man! thats a collector car since they dont make them anymore" and whipped out his check book.
when i worked at a dealership we had a 2000 T/A come in M6 78K miles leather the works. but it was in **** poor condition. brake dust built up on the wheels so bad it was eating into the chrome plating. cheetos scattered all over the interior. we worked and worked and worked on that car for 3 days off and on to get it lot worthy. usually we spend around 30 minutes on a car to get it lot worthy, if that tells you anything about the condition. well to make a long story short, i went to print the "Gold Assured" sticker off and the price on it was $15999.99 + TTL. the car sat on our lot for 3 months, and one day some guy in his mid 30's came in and whipped out his check book and took her off the lot. never haggled one bit. i delivered the car to him and when i handed him the keys i told him he was getting ripped off. he looked at me and said "you obviously know nothing about the history of the F-body." i told him i knew the history of this one pretty good and told him to check the glove box. while i was cleaning it, i found an estimate from the local chevy dealer (i worked at a ford dealer where someone had traded it in) for a remanufactured tranny, and clutch. around a 3k estimate. i stuck this in the glove box so anyone who bought it could take advantage of the warranty that we gave him. which was like 30 days. he was back in in 2 weeks trying to get them to replace the tranny, clutch, rear end, and other misc. **** that was busted on it. they refused and tried to blame it on him.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bww3588
yeah they did, somebody came along and said "man! thats a collector car since they dont make them anymore" and whipped out his check book.
when i worked at a dealership we had a 2000 T/A come in M6 78K miles leather the works. but it was in **** poor condition. brake dust built up on the wheels so bad it was eating into the chrome plating. cheetos scattered all over the interior. we worked and worked and worked on that car for 3 days off and on to get it lot worthy. usually we spend around 30 minutes on a car to get it lot worthy, if that tells you anything about the condition. well to make a long story short, i went to print the "Gold Assured" sticker off and the price on it was $15999.99 + TTL. the car sat on our lot for 3 months, and one day some guy in his mid 30's came in and whipped out his check book and took her off the lot. never haggled one bit. i delivered the car to him and when i handed him the keys i told him he was getting ripped off. he looked at me and said "you obviously know nothing about the history of the F-body." i told him i knew the history of this one pretty good and told him to check the glove box. while i was cleaning it, i found an estimate from the local chevy dealer (i worked at a ford dealer where someone had traded it in) for a remanufactured tranny, and clutch. around a 3k estimate. i stuck this in the glove box so anyone who bought it could take advantage of the warranty that we gave him. which was like 30 days. he was back in in 2 weeks trying to get them to replace the tranny, clutch, rear end, and other misc. **** that was busted on it. they refused and tried to blame it on him.
Ouch, but its his fault for buying it without knowing **** about it
Old 11-01-2006, 02:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MjMaro
Ouch, but its his fault for buying it without knowing **** about it
i tried to tell him but he wanted to be a know it all ***** about it. i got more knowledge in my right pinky about F-bodies than he had in his whole body. he spat off some bullshit about how the TPI in it would spank my little s10.......i just shook my head and walked away.....
Old 11-01-2006, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

19k is ridiculous for an lt1 car
Old 11-01-2006, 06:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bww3588
he spat off some bullshit about how the TPI in it would spank my little s10.......i just shook my head and walked away.....
Dont that statement alone just make you wanna punch him?!
Old 11-01-2006, 08:29 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS6NIGHTMARE
Dont that statement alone just make you wanna punch him?!
it really does. i jsut want to sit and school people on this subject all day long. but like they say, never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

Heres a good example:Camaro SS

This ad has been up since i was in 8th grade, and that was 4 years ago. I really like the part where it says "Will get better with age." lol
Old 11-01-2006, 08:55 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,238 Posts

You have to remember that at this point, even a "common" F-body (basic Z28, Trans Am, etc.) is hard to find with super low mileage and in mint, stock condition. Now, I can't see any reason in the world why any ~50K mile basic '97 Z28 would be worth $19K today (that's just silly), but I also can't understand why some think that people should be giving these cars away either.

Here's my example:

I bought my '98 Z28 back in '04. At the time it had 11,000 miles on it, was stored in a heated garage, never driven in any rain or snow, and was assembly line stock down to the original air filter and wiper blades. I bought it from the original owner, who had every scrap of paperwork ever associated with the car. It was as close to spotless in every way possibile as any car I've ever seen that's got more than 3 miles on it, and I am very picky about condition. Even the windshield has no hairline scratches on it because the wipers were never used.

At the time, KBB value in my area for this car was in the $11-12K range. I ended up paying $14K for it. I had no problem paying over book value for a car like this. Living in northern IL, it's damn near impossibile to find a car that hasn't been exposed to salt (not to mention rain), and after looking for many, many months for a car in this sort of condition I realized just how special it really was, even though it's just a basic Z28.

The way I saw it was, I had found the car I wanted with exactly the options I wanted, in exactly the condition I required at a nearby location and I wasn't about to pass it up over a couple grand. In my world, two thousand dollars over book value just wasn't worth losing an oppertunity like this.