General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

check your title's VIN!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default check your title's VIN!

So I'm the second owner of my truck, bought it from the original owner. I ran a carfax on the truck before I got it and everything came up great: 1 owner low miles, the whole nine.

Well I decided to run it again since I signed up for a one month carfax deal so that I can show it to possible buyers. Well I didnt come up as an owner and it sais "One Owner Certified"??

Well I checked my title, insurance card, and registration and low and behold the vin on the title and registration have a letter wrong. I called Sec of State and the woman on the phone brought up my original title transfer form on microfilm and admits that I did have it right on there. The correct letter is a "T" and they made a mistake and put a "7". So I had to send my title to "quality control" and have to wait 18 business days to get it back corrected.

Moral of the story: check your titles and registration and make sure everything lines up!!!
Old 11-01-2006, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a good heads up, would suck if you had to find out by something bad happening.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah it would. I'm all good. The original owner had all types of documentation with it and the carfax was clean from when he had it.

I just wonder how many people this happens too all over the country. I mean hell, a VIN is what 17 characters? With millions upon millions of cars on the road it HAS to be a frequent thing.

I wonder what the carfax will say when this is corrected? Will it say that the title trasfer happened in 10/06 or would it say 1/05 when I did get it.

Quick Reply: check your title's VIN!