General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What are the trade offs with going with a short block vs longblock vs crate engine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 02:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What are the trade offs with going with a short block vs longblock vs crate engine?

Like the post says, what are trade offs with going with a long block vs short block vs crate engine or fully assembled engine?

I know short blocks come with less things than long blocks and crate engines. But what do most people pick when upgrading? Is it effective to go with a short block when you are looking to make good amounts of power? Whats a good cost effective solution? I know its based on the money in yor wallet, but is it worth it to go all out and buy a fully built engine? Do those who buy short blocks keep a lot of their stock engine parts? When using a turbo or blower, is it better to go with all new engine components like that of a long block and crate engine or could a person make do with a short block? I don't think i have ever seen a post like this on here before, which is why i am posting it. If there has been, i missed it.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

short block is basically your rotating assembly(crank/pistons/rods) with the block. No intake, oil pan, or cylinder heads. So basically, if you get a short block, you get to build up your motor in terms of top end. You get to pick which heads you want, along with your valvetrain(cam/lifters/pushrods), and your intake manifold. The longblock comes with heads and cam and all that business, you're just short on the intake. Just depends on what you want to put on your engine yourself. Now, the crate/built engines can be iffy. You really need to know the builder well and have an idea on his quality. I don't know how good GM crate motors are, I've heard great things about them, but there are bound to be horror stories about how they've failed drastically. I guess the trade off would be what parts you have on hand to reuse if you go with a short/long-block, or if any of your old engine is reusable. If it's not, go with the built/crate motor. Crate motors can be VERY stock to moderately modified, just depending on the company. I guess the cost effective thing is dependent on how much performance you want as well.

Last edited by MaxFubar; 11-09-2006 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

That all makes sense. I mean i am not an advanced or expert on engines by any means. I mean i know things, a decent amount of things, but i don't have the tools, or the time to tinker around with engines directly, god knows i would love to though. But i guess a built engine or crate engine is ideal. I mean if i am going to be paying someone to put the engine together and paying some one to install it for me, i might as well go with a finished product ready to install versus a short or long block with the options being up to me and having to pay my mechanic to install parts as the build goes on. In that sense, i am guessing a completely built crate engine is the most cost effective solution for some one that doesn't have the expertise or time to install things themself. Right or wrong?
Old 11-10-2006, 02:47 PM
Tech Resident

Off the top of my head...

Short Block:
+ Customize the top end based on your needs.
+ Can reuse some stock parts.
- Requires plenty of work.
- You may spend more overall.

Long block:
+ Most of the work is done for you.
+ Most economical
- Limited choices for heads/cam ect...
- Still not a "turn key" engine so you'll need to do some work

Crate engine:
+ All the work has been done for you.
- No choices for components.
- Not always cheap.

Quick Reply: What are the trade offs with going with a short block vs longblock vs crate engine?