General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: Muscle Car or Sports Car?
Muscle Car
80.00%
Sports Car
20.00%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

~Muscle Car or Sports Car~

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sports car 300+ hp and 2 doors IMO, Muscle Car gotta have a big block, or at least a loppy *** cam, and smell of unburnt fuel, all while scaring children on the sidewalks lol.......
but what do I know I drive a sedan lol
Old 11-12-2006, 04:02 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

So far in my life, I've always preferred driving a muscle car like an F-body over a sports car like a Vette. Muscle cars are larger, and I usually tend to like bigger cars better.

But eventually I'll likely have a sports car as well (Vette).
Old 11-13-2006, 02:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
i consider my SS a musclecar and my GTO a sports car. how should i vote?
GTO a sports car?

Sports cars are small, GTO is massive.

Sports cars are light wieght, GTO is a pig

Sports cars are 2 seaters, often soft tops, GTO is a 4 seater coupe

Sports cars are about nimble handling, GTO is barge with A+ sideways action

Sports cars are about small efficent motors and power to weight, GTO isn't
Old 11-13-2006, 03:47 PM
Teching In

Muscle Cars all the way baby!!! They look and sound meaner and are very sexy.

Old bald guys going through a mid-life crisis that don't know sh*t about cars get sports cars to drive IMO.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:26 PM
TECH Resident

Where do I even start?

Originally Posted by Lips SS
They look and sound meaner
They look and sound meaner? Hahah!

It doesn't get meaner that this blacked out C6 Z06...

And no muscle car sounds meaner than a Saleen S7 TT

Originally Posted by Lips SS
Old bald guys going through a mid-life crisis that don't know sh*t about cars get sports cars to drive
That's because younger people can't really afford many sports cars. I've met PLENTY of muscle car owners who don't know jack **** about their cars too.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
GTO a sports car?

Sports cars are small, GTO is massive.

Sports cars are light wieght, GTO is a pig

Sports cars are 2 seaters, often soft tops, GTO is a 4 seater coupe

Sports cars are about nimble handling, GTO is barge with A+ sideways action

Sports cars are about small efficent motors and power to weight, GTO isn't
theres plenty of cars out now that are 4DR. and not necessarily light or powerful that can be considered sports cars.

mazdaspeed 6 is a sports car. as i mentioned ERXs and EVOs are sports cars. RX8 though a 2dr. is no way a powerful car and its a sports car. so are you saying C6s have small motors?

i consider GTOs to be in the same category as G35s,350ZXs and mustangs. so tell me what are those cars?

sorry,your description isnt accurate in describing all sports cars. some yes but not all.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:19 PM
11 Second Club

Default american muscle

anything american with over 300 hp a muscle car.as far as the above argument the zo6 and the 98 up ta basicly have the same engine.the zo6 has a better head intake cam setup,giving it the extra 50 hp.the ls1 is under rated.before you reply that it isnt do some research.both these cars are musclecars.hell my first car was a big block cuda.as far as the turbo rice burners ive owned a few of these they are powerfull but very fragile,and by no means a muscle car.

my musclecar 98 ta gears lid lil here and there
Old 11-13-2006, 09:37 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't see anything for a DD. Daily Drag.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

muscle car IMO
Old 11-14-2006, 01:08 AM
TECH Resident

So the term american muslce doesnt apply to vetts? I consider vette a good handling, good looking muscle car... i consider a sports car to be a sport compact, like an evo, sti, z350, etc... also i dont consider a sports car to have a muscle sound like a vette, f-body gto, etc... So with my definition of sport vs muscle, id have to go with muscle.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:39 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most vettes are considered sports cars.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:01 AM
TECH Addict

theres plenty of cars out now that are 4DR. and not necessarily light or powerful that can be considered sports cars.
No I don't think there are actually.

mazdaspeed 6 is a sports car. as i mentioned ERXs and EVOs are sports cars.
Are you MAD!!!!!! Yes I think you are.

An Evo or WRX is NOT a sports car not even ******* close. And the reason whyy is they are 4 door familiy saloons/sedans. Or Rally-wanta be's.

Sure they may have "sporting" potential, but that's different.

Also if you say an Evo is a sports car, well that means the lesser engined regular Lancer is, which is just a dull 2wd car without a turbo. The Evo is just a fast version of it. But it is essentially the same car.

RX8 though a 2dr. is no way a powerful car and its a sports car.
Yes it is or at least a lot closer to a sports car, it's about handling and FUN not outright pace.

so are you saying C6s have small motors?
Don't be a dick

i consider GTOs to be in the same category as G35s,350ZXs and mustangs. so tell me what are those cars?
Yes I would probably group it there also. And cars like the BMW M3 and others could be considered also.

I think these are either muscle cars (Pony cars a derivertive of muscle car) for the V8's. Other wise "performance coupe". Due to the size and abilty of the GTO and Stang they also cross over into the GT category as well. They are large heavy vehicles with big powerful engines and lots of luxuary. They would be ideal for transporting 2 people and luggage across a continent.

Sports cars would be more cramped and compromised as a rule.

sorry,your description isnt accurate in describing all sports cars. some yes but not all.
No, but that's because some cars cross over, but a 4wd rally car is NOT a sports car.

The Corvette, well that's harder to place. In reality it's too big and heavy for a real sports car (bear with me here I'll explain!!!).

Personally I'd probably classify it as a "Muscle sports car", Performance Coupe or an "American Sports Car". Currently this last tag would only really include the Vette and Viper as bother are 2 seaters and generally smaller/lighter than the muscle car coupes like the Fbody/GTO etc.

Now I say the Vette is heavy because most sports cars will weigh in at 700-1200kg (1540-2640lb) which is substantially lighter than any Corvette.

Here are some cars from the past which where "sports" cars:

Modern day sports cars:

Others could include the Honda S2000, Lotus Elise, BMW Z4, Marcos, etc.

The Vette has never really been svelt enough. I mean even back in the lates 50's early 60's the Corvette was more the size (or bigger) than cars like the Jagaur E-Type and Aston Martin DB5. These where sporting GT cars as opposed to outright 100% sports cars. The Vette with only 2 seats was subtley different though.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

No I don't think there are actually.

Are you MAD!!!!!! Yes I think you are.

An Evo or WRX is NOT a sports car not even ******* close. And the reason whyy is they are 4 door familiy saloons/sedans. Or Rally-wanta be's.

Sure they may have "sporting" potential, but that's different.

Also if you say an Evo is a sports car, well that means the lesser engined regular Lancer is, which is just a dull 2wd car without a turbo. The Evo is just a fast version of it. But it is essentially the same car.

Yes it is or at least a lot closer to a sports car, it's about handling and FUN not outright pace.

Don't be a dick

Yes I would probably group it there also. And cars like the BMW M3 and others could be considered also.

I think these are either muscle cars (Pony cars a derivertive of muscle car) for the V8's. Other wise "performance coupe". Due to the size and abilty of the GTO and Stang they also cross over into the GT category as well. They are large heavy vehicles with big powerful engines and lots of luxuary. They would be ideal for transporting 2 people and luggage across a continent.

Sports cars would be more cramped and compromised as a rule.

No, but that's because some cars cross over, but a 4wd rally car is NOT a sports car.

The Corvette, well that's harder to place. In reality it's too big and heavy for a real sports car (bear with me here I'll explain!!!).

Personally I'd probably classify it as a "Muscle sports car", Performance Coupe or an "American Sports Car". Currently this last tag would only really include the Vette and Viper as bother are 2 seaters and generally smaller/lighter than the muscle car coupes like the Fbody/GTO etc.

Now I say the Vette is heavy because most sports cars will weigh in at 700-1200kg (1540-2640lb) which is substantially lighter than any Corvette.

Here are some cars from the past which where "sports" cars:

Modern day sports cars:

Others could include the Honda S2000, Lotus Elise, BMW Z4, Marcos, etc.

The Vette has never really been svelt enough. I mean even back in the lates 50's early 60's the Corvette was more the size (or bigger) than cars like the Jagaur E-Type and Aston Martin DB5. These where sporting GT cars as opposed to outright 100% sports cars. The Vette with only 2 seats was subtley different though.
its obvious by the examples ive given the definition of sports cars have changed as the auto industry has. youre the one that said small motors that are about power to weight so youre the DICK because you know i proved you wrong.

just because it has 4 DR. doesnt mean its not a sports cars. by calling it a rally car proves my point the car is a sports car. youre just trying to call it something else. its a sports car. its emphasis is on handling and performance.

G35s and 300ZXs are cars that have descent performance but also emphasise comfort,luxury and handling. these terms performance coupe and rally car doesnt exclude these vehicles from the sports car category.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:17 AM
TECH Addict

its obvious by the examples ive given the definition of sports cars have changed as the auto industry has.
Ok then if you say a WRX is a sports car what the smeg is a Lotus Elise, TVR Tuscan or Mazda MX-5 then?

youre the one that said small motors that are about power to weight so youre the DICK because you know i proved you wrong.
lol, I said it was one of the ATTRIBUTES not the defining limit. I mean a motorbike has a small engine and good power to weight but it ain't no sports car.

just because it has 4 DR. doesnt mean its not a sports cars.
by definition it does rule out most. But no not all.

by calling it a rally car proves my point the car is a sports car.
WHY?????

Not all rally cars hail from sports cars In fact today NONE do.

I mean do you regard this as a sports car?:

Because it's in the same class as a regular Impreza or Lancer.

I sure of hell don't classify it as a sports car.

I mean can you show me a 4 seat saloon version of a Morgan? Or maybe an Estate MX-5?

Nope because they are sports cars and don't have lots of configuraitons. Coupe and/or Vert. Plain and simple.

youre just trying to call it something else. its a sports car. its emphasis is on handling and performance.
So a Range Rover Sport or a Ferrari Enzo but they ain't sports cars either.

G35s and 300ZXs are cars that have descent performance but also emphasise comfort,luxury and handling. these terms performance coupe and rally car doesnt exclude these vehicles from the sports car category.
Yep it does, and Rally car is not sold to the mass public as they look like this

NOT A SPORTS CAR:
Old 11-14-2006, 02:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by StealthZ06
Where do I even start?

They look and sound meaner? Hahah!

It doesn't get meaner that this blacked out C6 Z06...

And no muscle car sounds meaner than a Saleen S7 TT

That's because younger people can't really afford many sports cars. I've met PLENTY of muscle car owners who don't know jack **** about their cars too.
Don't get me wrong I am a big Vette fan as well. I would take a 69' Camaro Baldwin Motion or Yenko over a sports car anyday though.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:47 PM
Teching In

I agree about the Vette. I don't really consider it a sports car. If I had to classify it I would tend to lean a little more toward muscle car but yet it technically doesn't qualify for that either. So I don't know. Look, I am sorry if I offended anyone by my comment it was a simple smartass remark. I was just giving my opinion like everyone else and to me a muscle car has that deep throaty sexy rumble and when you rev the engine the whole car moves.
Well it turns me on and the sports car doesn't do anything for me. So it's all a matter of what you like and dislike I guess.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:17 PM
11 Second Club

the correct term for the buzz bombs is "SPORT COMPACT"not the same as asports car.These are quick cars but sound like a swarm of bees.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Some of you all have real funny ideas about what a sports car is...

Muscle Car/Pony Car(differing from a muscle car in size, and marked by a sportier GT level of handling and touring capability): F-body, Mustang, upcoming Challenger, Charger SRT8

Sport Coupe: BMW M3, GTO, Infiniti G35, etc.

Sports Car: Miata, Elise, Carrera, Sky/Solstice, F430, Corvette, etc.

Cars like the STI, Evo, etc would fall in between a sport coupe and a pony car IMO, and they have a term for that: Sport Compact.

I'm speaking for stock cars here, obviously a GTO for instance can be modified in such a way as to make it much more of a muscle car, but from Pontiac it was not designed as such.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

Ok then if you say a WRX is a sports car what the smeg is a Lotus Elise, TVR Tuscan or Mazda MX-5 then?

lol, I said it was one of the ATTRIBUTES not the defining limit. I mean a motorbike has a small engine and good power to weight but it ain't no sports car.

by definition it does rule out most. But no not all.

WHY?????

Not all rally cars hail from sports cars In fact today NONE do.

I mean do you regard this as a sports car?:

Because it's in the same class as a regular Impreza or Lancer.

I sure of hell don't classify it as a sports car.

I mean can you show me a 4 seat saloon version of a Morgan? Or maybe an Estate MX-5?

Nope because they are sports cars and don't have lots of configuraitons. Coupe and/or Vert. Plain and simple.

So a Range Rover Sport or a Ferrari Enzo but they ain't sports cars either.

Yep it does, and Rally car is not sold to the mass public as they look like this

NOT A SPORTS CAR:
ive made my point youve agreed with indirectly a few times and everything else youre posting is just looking into it too much.

you lost me by saying g35s and 350s are musclecars. i gave examples disputing youre definition of what sports cars are.

i dont know WTF that last picture is but i'll say it again. if a car has emphasis on performance and handling weather its a 2DR. or 4dr. it can be classified as a sports car. now you dont need to post every picture in automotive history as a response. i never said ALL cars i just gave a few examples.

GTOs,WRXs,EVOs,g35s,350Zs are cars in the sports car CATEGORY. weather you want to call them sport coupes,compacts, rally cars.theyre still sports cars.

case closed.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:35 AM
TECH Addict

ive made my point youve agreed with indirectly a few times and everything else youre posting is just looking into it too much.
eh?

you lost me by saying g35s and 350s are musclecars.
If you re-read my post you'll see I only called V8 heavy weight cars like the GTO and Stang muslce cars. I DID NOT call the above muscle cars, hell I'd don't even know what a frigging g35 is let alone try and classify it.

i gave examples disputing youre definition of what sports cars are.
Where?

Basically all you said is if it's a car then its a sports car??

i dont know WTF that last picture is
It's a RALLY car which you seem under the miss conception is a sports car. It's a Ford Focus WRC car exactly the same kind of thing as a WRX or Evo.

but i'll say it again. if a car has emphasis on performance and handling weather its a 2DR. or 4dr. it can be classified as a sports car.
Then I'm sorry but you really have no idea.

As I said if you claim they are sports cars what is a Lotus Elise? It certainly is a very different car compared to a BMW M5 which is concerned with performance/handling. But in your definition they are exactly the same type of car, which frankly is ludicous.

GTOs,WRXs,EVOs,g35s,350Zs are cars in the sports car CATEGORY.
Only if you don't know what a sports car is!

Have you ever been in or driven a REAL sports car? I'm gonna guess not, because if you had it would be so obvious at the difference.