General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

shes gone!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 01:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, ill go to court and just talk to the judge, explain the conditions and i think ill be alright.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your accident. Are you going to buy it back if the insurance totals it?
Old 11-13-2006, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry man. Hurting scenario, sucks to hear. Good luck.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:09 PM
12 Second Club

no, i probably wont buy the car back if it gets totaled. ill just start from scratch. it will give me a chance to get alittle ahead and then get a beatter and find another f-bod.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharpe
You don't have to be going over the posted speed limit to be ticketed for "too fast for conditions."

Note that I am not defending your ticket in any way, just noting that your defense is worthless.
Unfortunately he's right. If you have a wreck doing 50 mph down the interstate in the snow/ice (even if it's posted 65 mph), you'll very likely get a "too fast for conditions" ticket. Same thing for rear hitting something in the fog. Doesn't matter how fast you were going, if you have a wreck due to "conditions", they'll typically ticket you for going too fast. It sucks, but that's how they see it (I've had 29 tickets in my lifetime, been there/done that in most cases).

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
tell the court that thats what RWD does in wet conditions. at a higher speed when a tire blows out on the freeway, its hard to control it. so are they gonna give you a ticket for having your tire blow out? or in your case wet condition and whatever the hell happened.

thats the thing too. you get a R/D ticket for an accident that you couldnt prevent, yet burning out/donuts where you CAN control the car you get an *** chewing. and its less dangerous.

id be ***** out fighting that ****. just because the characteristics of my car makes me do a 180 doesnt mean i didnt try to control it, or it happened too fast for my reaction.

I once blew a rear (right rear) tire on my 1989 Formula Firebird at 105 mph. I wasn't even sure it was flat until I heard the rubber hitting the fender as it came completely apart. Blowing a rear tire isn't nearly as bad as you might think. On the other hand, a blown front tire at 80 mph becomes a real handful in a hurry (did that one as well).

Based on my "4 million" trips to traffic court, the judge won't care if "just because the characteristics of my car makes me do a 180", he'll tell you to slow down and learn to drive it. I've seen judges do it. If you know it will do that at higher speeds in the rain, then they'll tell you to slow down.

I'm not telling you this to be arguementative, but to save you the aggrivation of getting a lecture from the judge. He'll view this much differently than you guys do and if you get a judge that has the "not on my roads son" attitude, you could be sunk. I'd tell him that you'd slowed down under the speed limit (as had most of the other traffic) and you must have hit standing water or something because it just swapped ends right away. Ask him if he could drop the points/reduce the fine, etc. If you're polite and explain that you took steps to slow down, and it just wasn't enough for whatever you hit that you couldn't see, he might work with you. Just be sincere and don't act like a smart ***. Wearing a shirt and tie instead of jeans and a t-shirt may help.

I'm not a lawyer and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I have been in traffic court a couple dozen times and have watched many cases before and after my turn. Be sincere, be polite and remember, the court doesn't owe you anything, so ask nicely.

Good luck.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:19 PM
TECH Veteran

yea, i was refering to a front tire. i always have that on the back of my mind when on the freeway.

if he tells me to learn to control it, ill go right to the nearest empty parking lot and "control it" with the jury there to witness. maybe the ticket will get thrown away, maybe i will get thrown away, its a chance

if you lived in hazzard county, the judge will understand lol

Originally Posted by trackbird
Unfortunately he's right. If you have a wreck doing 50 mph down the interstate in the snow/ice (even if it's posted 65 mph), you'll very likely get a "too fast for conditions" ticket. Same thing for rear hitting something in the fog. Doesn't matter how fast you were going, if you have a wreck due to "conditions", they'll typically ticket you for going too fast. It sucks, but that's how they see it (I've had 29 tickets in my lifetime, been there/done that in most cases).

I once blew a rear (right rear) tire on my 1989 Formula Firebird at 105 mph. I wasn't even sure it was flat until I heard the rubber hitting the fender as it came completely apart. Blowing a rear tire isn't nearly as bad as you might think. On the other hand, a blown front tire at 80 mph becomes a real handful in a hurry (did that one as well).

Based on my "4 million" trips to traffic court, the judge won't care if "just because the characteristics of my car makes me do a 180", he'll tell you to slow down and learn to drive it. I've seen judges do it. If you know it will do that at higher speeds in the rain, then they'll tell you to slow down.

I'm not telling you this to be arguementative, but to save you the aggrivation of getting a lecture from the judge. He'll view this much differently than you guys do and if you get a judge that has the "not on my roads son" attitude, you could be sunk. I'd tell him that you'd slowed down under the speed limit (as had most of the other traffic) and you must have hit standing water or something because it just swapped ends right away. Ask him if he could drop the points/reduce the fine, etc. If you're polite and explain that you took steps to slow down, and it just wasn't enough for whatever you hit that you couldn't see, he might work with you. Just be sincere and don't act like a smart ***. Wearing a shirt and tie instead of jeans and a t-shirt may help.

I'm not a lawyer and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I have been in traffic court a couple dozen times and have watched many cases before and after my turn. Be sincere, be polite and remember, the court doesn't owe you anything, so ask nicely.

Good luck.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Traffic court is not a jury trial (unless it's DUI or something serious).
Old 11-13-2006, 02:24 PM
TECH Veteran

then ill save the pass seat for the judge after work

Originally Posted by trackbird
Traffic court is not a jury trial (unless it's DUI or something serious).
Old 11-13-2006, 02:34 PM
TECH Resident

Perhaps its time to get a locking diff, or do you already have one? for the car to just spin it must have been driving one wheel.

I scared myself once, when over taking in the wet, doing 100mph in 4th, the back end wobbled so much I only just stayed in lane. soon after that I didn't care I had to be somewhere quick I just wanted to get there..... Even though it still felt like I had control, the car was going where I wanted it.

Hope you get you car back with out too much repair costs.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:55 PM
TECH Resident

I don't think some of you comprehend. Let's say you make a complete stop at a stop sign, proceed through and get into an accident. Barring any fault on the other driver you will still get a ticket for the stop sign. How you ask? Easy in most statues it is written that you are required to stop and proceed through with caution. If you get into an accident you were not cautious. Ridiculous? I agree.
In this case there was rain which was a contributing factor. No one else spun out which would lead one to believe that it was one of two things, either A) Driver error or B) Vehicular malfunction
Now I have been driving my ta in the rain, in torrential Florida rainy season rain, and have yet to spin out like he did.
That tends to contradict choice B above. But let's think for a moment, maybe his tires are bald, brakes no applying correctly, is the car modified? If the tire size isn't the same front to back the brake bias can make the *** end come around upon braking in the rain.
Either way you slice it, the fault is with the driver either through driver error or lack of maintenance or modification to the vehicle.
If all ls-1 owners were spinning out in the rain we could say that the vehicle is the problem
Sorry, dude. Think back, you did something wrong. Maybe the patch of roadway were you applied the brakes was defective? But then we are back to the issue that you failed to maintain control of the vehicle.
If this were fatalities or serious injuries, you guys would be blown away with the amount of things that can be looked at.
Advice to driver, keep pushing and they will read your black box and see what you did just before you impacted and then blame it on you anyway.

I recommend that you contact an attorney and see what kind of case you have.
It's not always about what happened, but more so, what you can prove.
Good luck and glad you are ok.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

The road race team I crew chief for smashed a car with a locker in it. One wheel was on something slick, the other was on pavement. A little throttle and around it went and right into the concrete barriers. I'd not expect a locker to be any better. Get one wheel on water and one on dry pavement and you'll rotate that car in a hurry. I've seen it (coming out of the grass, already moving and hit the throttle with 2 wheels in the grass and two on pavement. POOF, it spun "right now" and was into the wall). Be careful with lockers.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:27 PM
TECH Resident

Nothing to read in the box if the air bags did not deploy.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

i had a wreck two years ago, i was on the interstate and had some bald *** tires, came down pouring on my way to work and i hydroplaned into a pine tree at 60, bent the driver side in 12 inches and effed up my whole passenger side... no tickets, but the cop said i wasnt wearing my seatbelt even though i was, he said when he did the accident reconstruction thing or whatever hte seatbelt wasnt cut, which is what the first response does, but on their report they said my belt was on? the doctors told me the belt saved my life and eventually got the report fixed...oh yea, i forgot my main point, it had too fast for conditions listed on mine too and i was doing 10 under the speed limit in the slow lane, i just caught a high patch of water and the rwd didnt respond well..
Old 11-13-2006, 05:49 PM
TECH Resident

some of you guys need to man up and take responsibility for your actions who gives a **** if you were going 10 under the speed limit and you still spun out, what do you think happens when you have wide z-rated tires on a car that lacks weight in the rear?

you guys might think your the best drivers in the world when your doing donuts in a parking lot or running around when its dry but when it rains it changes things again you've got high-po tires on a light limited-slip rear end car if you cant control it when it rains you suck at driving you obviously dont know your car as well as you think you do and need to do another "driver mod"
Old 11-13-2006, 05:56 PM
12 Second Club

as far as me thinking back to what i did wrong, well, as i stated before, i didnt. my tires werent in perfect shape and i lost it on some water, thats it, guilty or not!!
Old 11-13-2006, 06:01 PM
12 Second Club

hey thier 94Z28LT1, i hope ur not bashing me on here, im not saying im the best damn driver or nor did i claim to be! U guys always find a way to start bashing somebody on here!! This was a situation that could happen to anyone I.E. passed to other accidents on the way home on I-64 that seemed to have similar circumstances and neither were high-powered cars!
Old 11-13-2006, 06:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gyrene2003
hey thier 94Z28LT1, i hope ur not bashing me on here, im not saying im the best damn driver or nor did i claim to be! U guys always find a way to start bashing somebody on here!! This was a situation that could happen to anyone I.E. passed to other accidents on the way home on I-64 that seemed to have similar circumstances and neither were high-powered cars!
what i said wasn't directed towards you specifically it was more of a general statement about a lot of people that dont have enough experience with their car in differing conditions, not only that but if you have tires on the rear that are half worn and getting close to worn out, that should affect the way you drive you gotta drive within your cars limits, the limits of your car are certainly a lot lower when you have worn tires and your driving in the rain it doesn't matter how fast or slow you were going, i've had to slow down to 25-30 mph in heavy rain with my car just because of how hard it was raining and how much water was on the road and my tires were literally brand new

i know things do happen i've had a couple of surprise puddles just about do me in so im not trying to bash you at all
Old 11-13-2006, 07:59 PM
12 Second Club

well, i went over to the chevy dealership down the road tonight and my car finnally got thier from the tow company, and my wife went with me and upon further review of the car, i think its safe to say it wont be totaled. the rear bumper needs to be replaced, the exhaust hangers need to be replaced, the front right headlight, turn signal, fog light and ground effects peice need to be replaced, the nose will need to be replaced and the hood. mechenicaly speaking though, it seems to be sound, no leaks or smoke when it runs and atleast from a visual stand-point the alignment seems to be fine. thiers alittle scratch on the front left wheel and the tire has a good chunk missing which amazes me the it didnt blow!! Oh and the front left fender needs to be replaced as well. no glass or mirrors were broken and the sides of the car minus that fender seem to be just fine. So, im hopeful she will be on the road agian!! Tommorow is the big test though, the guy at hampton chevy is going to give me a call and then he will estimate it and say if they will repair it or if it will be totaled out!! wish my baby good luck, she has alot more races to run and mustangs to kill!!! And the headers are on my floor waiting for an engine bay to fill!
Old 11-13-2006, 08:07 PM
TECH Resident

Gyrene, let me put it to you this way. Whatever happened to you, obeys the laws of physics. Your car lost traction for a reason, not divine intervention.
Something happened. Figure out what, then make your move. Don't take the juvenile advice of yahoos on here.
You need an attorney, at least a traffic attorney.
The idea that something terrible happened to you as you just motored on down the road minding your own business, as you claim, strikes me as irresponsible and childish.
Take responsibility by figuring out what happened and if you screwed up, man up and accept it. No shame in that at all.
If the car, road, brakes, whatever caused it, then you may have some defense come time to talk to the insurance. But be wary because if lack of maintenance caused the malfunction, its your ***.
If I were your insurer carrier and heard your innocent story of divine intervention, combined with your highly probable youth, I would say your full of it.
Stuff just doesn't fall out of the sky like this dude, and thats the truth.
Get a lawyer.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:25 PM
12 Second Club

what the **** is with all of u guys, if ya dont believe what happened thats all well and good but dont start sayin im acting childish and ****, the car needs tires, it was friggin raining, i hydroplanned, end of story. i didnt right this post so i could get all this lame *** advice from some of u guys and telling me im full of ****, i wrote it cause i lost my car in a bad accident. why the hell is it on here that sometimes u post something and some of u fellas have to open up with this **** they know is gonna **** somebody off. 30anniv, who the hell said anything about divine intervention, i know wha happened. I appreciate u giving me ur .2, but i dont need to be told im childish cause u dont beleive what happened. i dont see how this is that hard to believe, i was driving in the pouring rain, obviously hit enough water so that the tires lost contact with the pavement, and then it was a wrap, no if ands or butts!! its not a debate, i never said anything "fell out of the sky" so get off my *** and go **** someone else off. never said i was a great driver, but considering i do it for a living, i might know an ounce of something about it. once again, stop all these damn posts about how my post is not true or whatever. oh and as far as the insurance thing is concerned, if my story is such bullshit then i guess the guys at usaa must have thier heads up thier asses cause they are covering all the repairs and they gave me a rental.

Last edited by gyrene2003; 11-13-2006 at 08:52 PM.