General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Things to look for when buying a higher mileage LS1

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Things to look for when buying a higher mileage LS1

What are some common things that would break on an LS1, especially with one that has 70-120k on it? I've heard various things about burning oil and oil pumps, but I don't know if these people know what they are talking about. I figured the best way to find out would be ask people that actually have LS1s.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

some cars burn oil, some don't. Its kind of hard to get that from a test drive or looking at the car. I would just take it for a nice hard drive, if the car doesn't feel right, or has weird sounds, don't buy it. These cars are meant to take abuse and survive it with some basic maintence. Just don't be naive and listen to the guy when ever he says he never beats on it, becasue its bs. Some noise(piston slap) is commona dn nto really a problem, once the car gets warmed up, it sho9uld go away if it doesn't be cautious.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:34 PM
TECH Addict

yeah, my lt1 does that sometimes when its cold. I'm talking about like are there certain gaskets that are prone to leaking, etc. What are some things to look for an abused ls1?
Old 11-19-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ironxcross
yeah, my lt1 does that sometimes when its cold. I'm talking about like are there certain gaskets that are prone to leaking, etc. What are some things to look for an abused ls1?
abused is hard to see, abuse and neglect are two different things. The rear mainseal tends to start to leak..and by tends, i don't mean frequently, but the clutch will start to slip, making someone change the clutch jsut to have the enw one do that. Plus i doubt someone will let you drop the tranny to see. Just use common sense looking for a car. I beat on my car, and by beat, take it to 5.5k in 1st and second at least once a day. I put 350-400 miles on my car for the past two years and it hasn't skipped a beat. With nearly 90k on it now on the stock clutch. So a beat on car stills last because i'm **** about the normal maintance. Now if you go to test drive a car and the ses light is flashing, car is really dirty, oil is black and sludgy, dirty air filter and the guy has no service records, i'd be skeptical. Like I said in my first post, don't be naive about someone saying that they don't beat on the car, cause why would you spend the money ona ls1 and not floor it once in a while, specially a ls1.

ps.

why buy a ls1 if you already have a lt1?
Old 11-20-2006, 05:57 AM
TECH Addict

Well, I'm curious about them. Everyone talks them up so much, its kind of hard not to wonder a little. From what I understand, they are amazing motors, but nothing is perfect, thats why I wanted to know some trouble spots.

I was thinking of getting an LS1, but there really isn't a point until I need a car, I guess. It would kind of redundant to buy another car when the one I have works perfectly fine.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ironxcross
Well, I'm curious about them. Everyone talks them up so much, its kind of hard not to wonder a little. From what I understand, they are amazing motors, but nothing is perfect, thats why I wanted to know some trouble spots.

I was thinking of getting an LS1, but there really isn't a point until I need a car, I guess. It would kind of redundant to buy another car when the one I have works perfectly fine.
exactly, the lt1 is a perfectly fine motor, specially when you through some heads and a cam at it.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:50 AM
Launching!

The best way to check for abuse is to look down the quarter panels next to the rear glass. If there are slight ripples or dimples along this edge it means the car has had pretty bad chassis flex. It can be from fishtailing aggressively or by adding slicks and racing it at a track.

This is why I'd find a clean car, lower mileage, and as a first mod weld in some sub frame connectors.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:44 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyZ28
The best way to check for abuse is to look down the quarter panels next to the rear glass. If there are slight ripples or dimples along this edge it means the car has had pretty bad chassis flex. It can be from fishtailing aggressively or by adding slicks and racing it at a track.

This is why I'd find a clean car, lower mileage, and as a first mod weld in some sub frame connectors.
No, it means GM used the wrong glue.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:16 PM
TECH Regular

Take the Bellows and Air Lid off and look at the throttle body if it is a pre-01 model. You can tell if the PCV has been shooting some oil at the TB blade. Besides that there is a seal where the driveshaft meets the differential I cant remember what seal/gasket/bearing it is, but that can tend to sling fluid on the under carriage. Just to be safe, just check the usuals, serpentine belt, air filter, oil/oil level, codes. I have 100k+ on my Z28 and havent had a mechanical or drivetrain problem yet (stupid window motor is all). Goodluck
Old 11-26-2006, 01:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know on A4's there is an inspection cap on the tranny that you can pull off to reveal part of the flywheel. If the rear main is leaking there will be oil in there, not much, but some. I had 135k on my old motor before I pulled it out, and it was still running just fine. I wouldn't sweat it!