General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

My LS1 died :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 03:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

time to trade it off for an lt1 then huh?

no offense to BLKWS.6 but you do more pissing and moaning than anyone around here

take things one step at a time, with your idle issue did you ever take a look at your IAC (idle air control) whether its sticking or not try disconnecting it when it idling where its supposed to be and go drive it around and see if it still idles high

and for why its dying on you maybe its your crank position sensor? if its going haywire it will shut down and do some crazy stuff and not necessarily throw a light

it sounds to me your not very car savvy when it comes to diagnosing problems and if thats the case no matter what you drive you will have problems so maybe you should go off and get urself that honda
Old 11-27-2006, 03:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
Reliable like it dies on me in traffic? or do you mean like how it wouldnt start every 5th time and they never found a problem with it? Or could you possibly mean reliable in the sense that the rpms were climbing to 2500 in neutral with my foot off the gas at the end of my last road trip? Which of these problems that I have had BEFORE MY DAMN TEMP TAGS ARE EVEN OFF THE CAR would POSSIBLY convince me that this is anything more than GM's biggest hack job and a blessing its no-longer made?

American **** is not on my list anymore. Sorry, I hate to not be patriotic, but all I see on LS1 tech and the corral is "why is my piece of **** broke" "why is my car not idling" "why did I break this" All I ever see on S2KCA.com is "I love my car" "what wax is best" " here are some photos of me auto X'ing" Im sorry, I will pay the premium to get a well-built car next go around. It may mean keeping this pile until I get out of college and can afford something reliable, but if its time that it takes, its time it will take. I refuse to buy a car that will ever make me ask the girl to do the driving because "im not sure if my car will not leave us stranded, yes I know its an 01 and I just got it, but its messed up" Thats weaksauce and im tired of it.
You do realize the more you talk the dumber you sound right? I keep reading this post and it's pissing me off more and more. You sound like the typical ricer in more ways than one. Maybe a reason there is "what's wrong with my car" posts on here every once in a while is because these are race cars not grocery getters (seriously they build mopeds and goldwings do you REALLY think their R&D team is into performance?) Maybe it's because there is 50k+ members on this site and maybe 10k on these honda sites. Like i said, 155k here i beat it to hell and it's surely not stock. Runs like a dream.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:39 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

BLKWS.6,

It's probably best that you buy something asian. It seems that you have this false idea that asian cars don't break. I could write a huge post about all the stuff that broke on the Toyota that my wife and I owned for 6 years, or all the stuff that's broken on my in-laws Hondas in the last few years, but why bother? Clearly, you need to learn on your own. So buy the import and make yourself happy.

PS. You never really know how ANY used car was maintained. Just because you think the previous owner did a great job doesn't mean they did. You can't compare the reliability of a brand new (insert any import/domestic here) to a used car with 75K on it. But I guess you need to learn all that for yourself.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 11-27-2006 at 05:47 AM.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:10 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
Reliable like it dies on me in traffic? or do you mean like how it wouldnt start every 5th time and they never found a problem with it? Or could you possibly mean reliable in the sense that the rpms were climbing to 2500 in neutral with my foot off the gas at the end of my last road trip? Which of these problems that I have had BEFORE MY DAMN TEMP TAGS ARE EVEN OFF THE CAR would POSSIBLY convince me that this is anything more than GM's biggest hack job and a blessing its no-longer made?

American **** is not on my list anymore. Sorry, I hate to not be patriotic, but all I see on LS1 tech and the corral is "why is my piece of **** broke" "why is my car not idling" "why did I break this" All I ever see on S2KCA.com is "I love my car" "what wax is best" " here are some photos of me auto X'ing" Im sorry, I will pay the premium to get a well-built car next go around. It may mean keeping this pile until I get out of college and can afford something reliable, but if its time that it takes, its time it will take. I refuse to buy a car that will ever make me ask the girl to do the driving because "im not sure if my car will not leave us stranded, yes I know its an 01 and I just got it, but its messed up" Thats weaksauce and im tired of it.
I'm probably just wasting my time writing this, but I'll do it anyway in the hopes that you get something out of it.

There is a good chance that all the problems you're having with your car right now are related to the same issue. Find and fix that issue, and all the problems may go away. Then, for all you know this car may not give you another issue for 75K more miles. It might end up being the most reliable car you ever owned.

Let me tell you a story about my Bonneville, because I was where you're at now when I first bought that car. I bought that car when it had 17K miles on it. It was out of warranty time wise though, so I was on my own for repairs. About 4 months after I bought the car, it started randomly stalling out at stop lights. The problem slowly worsened until it was at the point where it would stall out even while driving at 40mph, very much like your car. It was random though, and never spit out a DTC. So I started randomly replacing parts trying to narrow it down, starting with the simple tune-up related stuff first.

After messing with it for a month or two, and some trial and error repairs, I finally got to the bottom of the issue. It was a bad ignition module. I replaced that, and the issue hasn't returned for the last 5 years/50K miles. In fact the only mechincal/electrical thing that's broken since is a wheel speed sensor. Not bad for all these years/miles.

In the end, other than that first issue this car has been great. One of the most reliable I've ever owned (and I've had about 14 cars so far). Usually, when you buy a used car there will be some issue you have to fix right away, espeically when that used car has 75K miles on it like yours.

Toyotas and Hondas break too. That's why you see their dealerships with service bays just like the domestic dealers. And I can tell you from personal experiace that when my Toyota needed repairs, the parts were always more expensive than the domestic counterparts would be. Especially with electronics (starters, alternators, etc.).

So if you want to foolishly write off all American cars as "pieces of ****" because of this one experiance then so be it. But your assumptions are false, and maybe you'd realize that if you bought an import sports car with 75K on it.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 11-27-2006 at 07:18 AM.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:27 AM
TECH Resident

I say he gets banned. He has no respect for one of the best SB v8s ever produced.

And the fact that he whines more than my little sister/girlfriend combined.

At least they (gf+sister) both like my car.

You know, I had my rear end go out on me as well- about a month after I bought the car. I was pissed at first, but then I sucked it up and fixed it myself. I put Richmond gears in it, so it howls like a **** now (tight backlash @ .006"). I dont whine or complain about my car one bit, maybe except to the people I live with that I cant/dont want to drive it during the winter. Hell, if you want to sell your car for 13k I will buy it. Ill drive to the bank right now and get a loan and buy your car from you. Then I will sell my car and have a great platform to start on.

Then you can go get your import 350 or s2000 and get beat (even after you put numerous mods on it) by a stock ls1. How would that feel.

ESPECIALLY after knowing that I bought the car, diagnosed a simple problem and then drove it for another.. 100k miles for giggles and then still beat you. Wouldnt that feel terrible?

Just get the car fixed and stop COMPLAINING. Cars all break. EVERYSINGLEONE!

Last edited by Specialized; 11-27-2006 at 07:38 AM.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:47 AM
12 Second Club

Received 561 Likes on 445 Posts

He doesn't deserve an LSX car, that's for sure. **** breaks on EVERY car, get a little more time under your belt driving before you make blanket statements like you did. A wet behind the ears 20 year old kid doesn't know jack **** about what cars are reliable or not. Here, go read this and figure out why price premiums and car reputations don't mean a thing: http://www.lambounfall.de/indexe.html
Old 11-27-2006, 07:57 AM
TECH Resident

i say go ahead and buy the import. if your that egar to run away from your ls1, you must have not been that interesed in the car in the first place. go buy a honda, but dont be upset when you get murdered on the highway or any other road for that matter. hell i will trade u even up for my nissan 240 sx. swap in a sr20($5K), then some surporting boltons($3K), suspension($2K), and your car can hang with a stock lt1. i dare you... good luck.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:17 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1Formulation
He doesn't deserve an LSX car, that's for sure. **** breaks on EVERY car, get a little more time under your belt driving before you make blanket statements like you did. A wet behind the ears 20 year old kid doesn't know jack **** about what cars are reliable or not. Here, go read this and figure out why price premiums and car reputations don't mean a thing: http://www.lambounfall.de/indexe.html

Damn, I just read that whole site. Im definitely not going to, nor planning to purchase any sort of lambo in the future.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:40 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1994Z28Lt1
time to trade it off for an lt1 then huh?

no offense to BLKWS.6 but you do more pissing and moaning than anyone around here

take things one step at a time, with your idle issue did you ever take a look at your IAC (idle air control) whether its sticking or not try disconnecting it when it idling where its supposed to be and go drive it around and see if it still idles high

and for why its dying on you maybe its your crank position sensor? if its going haywire it will shut down and do some crazy stuff and not necessarily throw a light

it sounds to me your not very car savvy when it comes to diagnosing problems and if thats the case no matter what you drive you will have problems so maybe you should go off and get urself that honda
CPS sounds possible actually. Yeah, I am over my initial irritation now. I have a lot of make/break tests this week and just got back from a 12 hour drive sunday. CPS is a real possibility as it would have caused the failure to start I used to have. HOWEVER, the motor WOULD crank over with a CPS failure. I dunno. I have just always been told GM was full of electrical gremlins and NOONE has trouble but me it seems (noone as stock as me). Just pisses me off. Will see what they turn up today. Yeah, sorry, just pissed and running on very little sleep with a lot of important stuff this week. Sorry for being an ***
Old 11-27-2006, 08:43 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Again, sorry for being an ***. No real excuse. I apologize. Thanks for not lynching me worse.