General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Need Suggestions for Speeding Ticket!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 12:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Suggestions for Speeding Ticket!!

Well fellas I need your advice/input. For some reason I was going 110 in a 55, let's not get into why because I just don't know and already feel pretty dumb about it. Regardless I have about $1200 worth of tickets. About a month ago I also got a ticket for 60 in a 40 worth about $140 (I know, more stupidity, I'm working on it). Other than that my record should be clean. So my question is what should I do? What am I facing? I'm only 19 and I assume I'm in a world of hurt right now. Do I go to court, if so what do I say/do..how should things work out? What can I do about points/fines? Should I go to a driver improvement class etc.? Any advice will really help me out alot seeing as I'm trying to make this right and not make the same mistake(s) again. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:29 AM
12 Second Club

Get a lawyer. I know they can be expensive but they will save you a lot in the long run. I got into some trouble about a month ago and I got a lawyer and he cost a lot but he did his job got the stuff droped down to almost nothing compared to what it could have been.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:40 AM
SSU, come over and relax

a lawyer is the only way to go

i got an 80 in a 55 completely dropped because i got a lawyer
Old 12-01-2006, 02:41 AM
Launching!

Around here going that much over the speed limit you automatically lose you license. I dunno if a lawyer could help you I dunnot it all depends on your luck I guess.

=\
Old 12-01-2006, 02:43 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a lawyer and bend over or dont get a lawyer and bend over. Either way, I think ur in a world of hurt, but a lawyer can be a great friend in that world of hurt...
Old 12-01-2006, 03:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I agree with everyone else. A lawyer is your best bet. I got a reckless driving ticket, and in Oklahoma a District Attorney or Judge won't even talk to you or deal with you for a ticket like mine or yours unless you have a lawyer. My lawyer worked a deal for 6 months probation and defensive driving, once passing the ticket will be lowered to 10 and under speeding. Good luck.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

While driving blueb4c's 02z I was chasing down Hazard2K in his 99z and another friend in his 96z, they had theirs up to and above 140, i hung back and keeped it under 110. apparently there was an off duty sherrif we all blew passed on the expresse way and he made a phone call, make the story short we all got pulled over, me about 5min after them since the kept hualin and i slowed back down to the speed limit. since the didn't have it on radar we all got a no front plate ticket! as for Hazard2K he got also an excessive exhaust and window tint, my other friend didn't have his car registered and got excessive exhaust and no valid regie. we got lucky!!! moral of the story is, if your firends decide to race each other down the expressway either pull over when they do or take a different exit cuz they will lump you in anyway because of the car your in!!!
Old 12-01-2006, 11:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

definitely beg for driving school so it will stay off your record, also get a lawyer so the fines will drop alot. pay the $600 to the lawyer which will be probably what it will cost and it will come out alot cheaper than the $1800 your going to be spending if you dont get a lawyer, and you will also probably lose your license if you go in without a lawyer.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like I'm going to get a lawyer and hope for the best. Now I don't know if this matters, but the cop NEVER asked me to sign any of the tickets, I just realized this today. Obviously he has a copy and they aren't signed, but that's because he didn't ask me to sign them. He simply said here are your tickets and handed them to me. Is this good or bad? He also said that he couldn't bring up my driving record on their computer. Don't they have to run my plates and license number in order to put the ticket through? I don't know what's going on, so if someone could help that would be great. Thanks.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you didn't sign anything then how can he even prove you were ever pulled over. I think that just won your case right there. You always have to sign the ticket, so they wont know if you show up to court or not i bet. Your ticket is on file but if you dint sign it then i would think you will prob walk out of the court house smelling like roses. Call a lawyers office and ask them im sure they will tell you what it means exactly.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bjamick
if you didn't sign anything then how can he even prove you were ever pulled over. I think that just won your case right there. You always have to sign the ticket, so they wont know if you show up to court or not i bet. Your ticket is on file but if you dint sign it then i would think you will prob walk out of the court house smelling like roses. Call a lawyers office and ask them im sure they will tell you what it means exactly.
That's what I was thinking. I mean he has a copy and obviously it doesn't have my signature on it and it's not like I didn't comply to sign it, he just never asked me to. But I did talk to a friend who is a lawyer, not in traffic court so he won't be taking my case, but he said it really doesn't matter that I didn't sign. Any other thoughts please? Thanks again.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone else have thoughts, opinions, or advice? Anything is Greatly appreciated!
Old 12-02-2006, 07:33 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I got a ticket back in 1994 for disregarding a stop sign. The officer set my court date for a Saturday. Now everyone in the world should know that city employees don't work on Saturdays here in Indiana I got a lawyer involved, but he wasn't able to help me out. I still had to pay the $100 fine and enjoy the enormous car insurance increase as a result.

If a lawyer can help you out, then hopefully at least you can possibly avoid the insurance rate hike. Here in Indiana it takes three years for the offense to be taken off your license, so I had to pay the jacked up rate for three freakin' years.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I got some street racing tickets in Greenwood one night, racing my buddy for fun.

ANYWAYS that was 2 months ago, they still have not filed anything on me yet, and my buddy has a court date for the 6th, now wtf? i dont know but they never filed anything on me... yet.
'
Charlie
Old 12-02-2006, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

bend over and hope for the best.....
Old 12-02-2006, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

I got a 120 in a 55 about 3-4 years ago and I got a ticket for reckless endangerment with the intent to kill. Thats a fellony offense and the cop kinda went a bit too far with it. So I hired the best lawyer i could find and the judge thought the officer was being a bit dramatic and lowered it down to 79 in a 55 simple speeding ticket which was under reckless driving and since I already took a driving course i paid 156 dollars and left. She told me she didnt wanna see me again and she hasn't. My advice is get a good lawyer buy a suit cut your hair nicely and look pathetic and scared which is what you should be. I realize going fast is fun but you really should be very careful when and where you do it. What mainly got me out of my ticket was the fact that I was on an arrow straight road in the middle of nowhere with no other cars around. The judge suggested that since I was doing that rate of speed in such a secluded place that I was not being reckless enough to deserve the charges brought against me. If you were on a busy road I'd pray if I were you. If you were on a straight secluded one use that to your advantage or be sure to tell your lawyer.

ps: I have had the no sign thing before and you are still held accountable and it is still on file. I think the signing part is only to confirm that you have been informed of the court date.

Last edited by Y2K Z28; 12-02-2006 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Y2K Z28
I got a 120 in a 55 about 3-4 years ago and I got a ticket for reckless endangerment with the intent to kill. Thats a fellony offense and the cop kinda went a bit too far with it. So I hired the best lawyer i could find and the judge thought the officer was being a bit dramatic and lowered it down to 79 in a 55 simple speeding ticket which was under reckless driving and since I already took a driving course i paid 156 dollars and left. She told me she didnt wanna see me again and she hasn't. My advice is get a good lawyer buy a suit cut your hair nicely and look pathetic and scared which is what you should be. I realize going fast is fun but you really should be very careful when and where you do it. What mainly got me out of my ticket was the fact that I was on an arrow straight road in the middle of nowhere with no other cars around. The judge suggested that since I was doing that rate of speed in such a secluded place that I was not being reckless enough to deserve the charges brought against me. If you were on a busy road I'd pray if I were you. If you were on a straight secluded one use that to your advantage or be sure to tell your lawyer.

ps: I have had the no sign thing before and you are still held accountable and it is still on file. I think the signing part is only to confirm that you have been informed of the court date.
I got negligent driving, excessive speed, and reckless driving. And it was on an interstate, but it was later at night (around 12) and no one was around. I'm hoping to get the ticket cut down to a 1/3 and maybe 2 points with taking driver improvement classes.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

get legal help from an experienced traffic lawyer. try to find one that has contacts with the municipality where you got your violations. that will help. while these tickets are severe you didnt commit a serious crime or hurt anyone. they just want your money anyway which theyre going to get alot of with legal costs and fines. your goal is to keep your license and minimize the damage obviously so find a competent attorney. good luck.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:13 PM
On The Tree

My lawyer actually played golf with the traffic court judge but I went to the criminal court judge. Just so happens she was willing to give me a second chance. I havent been over 100 on a public road since either so I think she made a good choice.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get a lawyer and pray he's good ...seriously