General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

It's Official :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 06:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy It's Official :(

Well it's official, as of this comming February I am going to be listing the T/A for sale in hopes to sell it between then and June ... I know one day I will get another one but for now I need something more practical for my needs and on my budget. I have decided that I am going to get a '98-'03 Grand Prix GT or GTP Sedan to replace the car. I want a 4 door, with a great motor (3800), so I decided a Grand Prix is my best bet. I know I am going to regret selling it, but it is just a car and I can't afford to have it anymore. Hopefully within a few years of being out of college I will have a decent job with enough money to buy me another toy again.

I am curious to how many people on here have had to give up there car for whatever reason and downgrade for a while....share the stories, so I don't feel like I am the only one
Old 12-04-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would love to buy your car... I saw a white T/A the other day and my jaw just dropped. We were passing eachother on the highway and waved. That thing was gorgeous... and 42k miles is awesome.

Good luck with the sale. GTPs are awesome cars. The L67 is a very stout engine and you can make some great, reliable power out of them.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:18 PM
Staging Lane

I got rid of my 03 Cobra for my Camaro.. but i don't regret it..
Old 12-04-2006, 08:39 PM
TECH Veteran

you can tell in your sig

Originally Posted by NoCobra
Old 12-04-2006, 08:46 PM
TECH Regular

I'm older, and I can't begin to tell you all of the cars I had to give up over the years. When my oldest was born (in '85), I sold a '68 1/2 Mustang 428CJ coupe. I got $7200, and thought that was great. Saw one on Barrett-Jackson that brought $200k, and my wife says "honey, didn't you have a car like that?". Trust me, finding a TA or an SS ain't ****.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:12 PM
10 Second Club

dont sell it, get student loans or something to keep it, there are very few cars that are more reliable or as cheap to fix as LS1
Old 12-04-2006, 10:02 PM
TECH Resident

I have student loans for my college, and I already have a loan on my car that allows me to pay it off whenever I want, so it's not that I can't keep it and pay it off over time, but it is the fact that I hate oweing money, and also insurance is just too much, if I switch to a GTP i save over $600 a year which is a big deal when you are in college. Also if something did go wrong with my car, I don't have money to fix it. I would rather have a less expensive car that I owe nothing on, and have money in my savings for emergencies and money to keep putting into my retirement fund, and even money to go out and enjoy myself from time to time...right now I don't have those benefits, all I have is a sweet car, but in the end I just tell myself a car isn't everything.

Trust me I have gone over this in my head trying to find every corner I can take to keep the car, and yes it is possible to keep it, but it is easier to sell it and get another one in a few years. I say give it 2-3 years and I will have another one, being that is what happend to me already, I sold my 94 Z28 before college to get a more practical car and 2 years later I got my T/A so its only a matter of time before I save some money and get another one.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey do whatever makes u more comfortable...Very True!! a car is a car and can easily be replaced...

dont sell it, get student loans or something to keep it, there are very few cars that are more reliable or as cheap to fix as LS1
I hope u were joking! I love my SS but if I couldn't afford it why would I get in another hole for "just a car"?

in the same route you are man...I jus found out I'm going to be a POPS and I want to make sure I give my kid whatever it needs..Going to school and 6 classes from becoming a junior and attending a univ..Definitely taking out loans so I might have to give up the car too...it won't hurt b/c they are jus cars!! neways good luck on the sale!
Old 12-04-2006, 11:06 PM
TECH Resident

Congrats on being a soon-to-be dad! Having a kid will be far better than any car!

Ya I hope I can get what I want for it, I am not going to list it on here because I know I won't get close to what I want, and the only responses I will get is, "dude you are asking too much, I can get ____ car for $____". Hopefully I come out good selling it though. I will be out of the country for 5 months starting in Feb. so that is why I am going to list it and my dad will take care of the sale for me being the car will be in storage for the winter.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NoCobra

HAHA that's because your original problem was circled on the hood of the car.

just jokin...but seriously
Old 12-04-2006, 11:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Theres no way i would get rid of my SS if i could find a way to keep it. Sure u can get another one but by the time you do most of the cars will have very high mileage and it will be hard to find one with 42K or less.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:41 PM
TECH Resident

I got rid of my LS1 TA and drove a POS for about 4 years before I got my Z06.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'd give a lot to have an 03-04 Cobra. I love those cars and you don't see them everywhere. Guess I'll have to settle for an LS1 Mustang though
Old 12-05-2006, 01:25 AM
TECH Resident

I think another reason to add onto a reason for selling it is the fact that I get bored with cars, and if I don't have money to mod them, then it is time for me to move on to something different to drive. Since I don't have money, I can't mod it, so I am starting to want something different. my guess will be the GP will last me a year, maybe 2 years tops, then I will move on again. I have had 6 cars now in the last 5 years, and have had this one for about a year and a half now, and it is just time to move on to something more practical.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:20 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by YoungGunLs1
I have decided that I am going to get a '98-'03 Grand Prix GT or GTP Sedan to replace the car.
but it is the fact that I hate oweing money.....I would rather have a less expensive car that I owe nothing on....
What makes you think that you'll get enough out of your '99 T/A to pay off the loan and have enough left to pay cash for an '03 Grand Prix?

Good luck with that one.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Rowdy94
HAHA that's because your original problem was circled on the hood of the car.

just jokin...but seriously
hahaha couldnt agree more lol.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
What makes you think that you'll get enough out of your '99 T/A to pay off the loan and have enough left to pay cash for an '03 Grand Prix?

Good luck with that one.

Um, who said I was getting an '03? I said 98-03, I was simply reffering to that body style, I'll most likely end up getting a 98-01', and I can get a grand prix GTP sedan around 8-9k, or a GT for 7-8k, so don't you worry, I will come out ahead, and I onlky owe less than 3 grand on the car to begin with so I am not worried about selling it and having some money to put into savings, these cars sell for above book value in my area, and I know this because this isn't the first one I have sold. Plus the fact that I switch to a different car is going to save me $600 of the bat on insurance for the year.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Um, who said I was getting an '03? I said 98-03, I was simply reffering to that body style, I'll most likely end up getting a 98-01', and I can get a grand prix GTP sedan around 8-9k, or a GT for 7-8k, so don't you worry, I will come out ahead, and I onlky owe less than 3 grand on the car to begin with so I am not worried about selling it and having some money to put into savings, these cars sell for above book value in my area, and I know this because this isn't the first one I have sold. Plus the fact that I switch to a different car is going to save me $600 of the bat on insurance for the year.

Wow seeing as you only owe 3k I would try and find a way to keep it. You are definetly not upside down in it and with such low miles I don't think I would let it go. You always regret selling the car AFTER you sell you. I know I have been there a few times myself.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i sold my jacked up Tahoe to get my Camaro and i don't regret it!!

except for the other day when i had to drive the camaro in the ice for the first time that wasn't very much fun especially with my shitty *** tires...
Old 12-05-2006, 02:46 PM
Teching In

I had to sell my 04 GTO, so I could get a house.