General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: would you buy a pre-modded ls1??
yes, i have done it and would recomend it(includes internal work).
5.88%
yes, only if the mods were just bolt-ons(no internal work)
32.35%
yes, mods wouldnt matter if they had proof it was done by a reputable shop.
13.24%
no, id rather build my own car how id like it.
48.53%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

i need everyones advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 03:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default i need everyones advice

well im almost ready to finaly get into an ls1. but my question is, would you feel weird to buy a car that is already modded thinking that it has been beat on, or do you think that i should just go for it since the mods have already been done, installed and paid for. think about it, no-one does a H/C setup or a full bolton/150 shot and drive like an old man. i just dont want to buy a pre-modded car and have it break down 3 months from now due to prior abuse. its going to be my 2nd car till my girl gets her liscense, then she is going to get my nissan and im going to daily drive the ls1. so let me know what you guys and gals think.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally wouldnt cause I enjoy taking my car, truck, etc, from stock to whatever goals I have for it. There is great satisfaction in modding a car yourself chose'n parts that work well or match what you want.

Now if someone else wanted to I don't find anything wrong with that if it seems to be in good shape and performing properly. If every car that had been beaten on after being modded was gonna break down after 3 months, noone would do it....or at least I wouldn't.

Main thing if you buy one modded is check it out very carefully and also ask alot of questions. I know if I sold mine I wouldnt be able to say that a shop did all the work, but honestly, there is no shop I would rather have do it than myself, I don't trust anyone with my car. I know if I do it then it's right or it was my fault. When I take it to redline down the 1320 and think about every single bolt that was taken apart, then re-installed I have the piece of mind cause I know I torqued them all to the proper specs in the proper sequence, used loc-tite if needed, etc.

Pretty much don't turn down a great car just cause it was modded by a do it yourself guy. Talking to someone can let you know alot about their character and help you know how the car was maintained etc. Always remember, noone cares about their car more than the actual owner, and a car you want to buy from them was once that persons pride and joy (in alot of cases)
Old 12-05-2006, 06:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

the best thing to buy already on the car would be a rear end and suspension, and oh ya- I see no problem with it, just do a lot of checking it out
Old 12-05-2006, 06:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get a totally stock car.....

itd be like taking a girl you knew your friend slept with.......
Old 12-05-2006, 07:09 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Originally Posted by staringback05
get a totally stock car

These are getting hard to come by. Most of them have been modded already. Some in not good taste.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Only if he knew the guy who modded it would it be like that^^

that being said, it depends what kind of mods. If I found a car with exhaust and a lid, I wouldn't hate it. If I found a car with H/C/I, N20, 12bolt, etc. I don't think I'd buy it. It all depends. It's getting harder and harder to find BONE stock cars, at least around here.

EDIT: ^^^he beat me to it

-J
Old 12-05-2006, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

hwo would you absolutly knwo the car was never modded? Its not hard to demod a car, and its naive to think someone would beat on a modded car more than a non modded car.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

I think an unmodded stock will be in better overall condition (that's what I would go for), but if you find something you really like and has the kinds of mods your looking for, i say go for it (after doing your homework).
Old 12-05-2006, 08:31 PM
TECH Resident

Yes, only if I knew the previous owner(s) though.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:06 PM
TECH Resident

i hear what just about all you guys are saying. i have pretty simple needs. im not to brand oriented. pretty much as long as the quality is there im fine with it. i do think simple boltons wouldnt bug me. if they had an after market cat-back, lid, and pully, then i probably wouldnt car. they just saved me $600. but i do start to think whats the deal when they had a 9 inch or hardened push rods on a stock head car. i dont know, i guess it depends as to how modded it is and the over all condition of the car is. i just wanted to see what you guys thought.

anyone else????
Old 12-05-2006, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jamesSS
i hear what just about all you guys are saying. i have pretty simple needs. im not to brand oriented. pretty much as long as the quality is there im fine with it. i do think simple boltons wouldnt bug me. if they had an after market cat-back, lid, and pully, then i probably wouldnt car. they just saved me $600. but i do start to think whats the deal when they had a 9 inch or hardened push rods on a stock head car. i dont know, i guess it depends as to how modded it is and the over all condition of the car is. i just wanted to see what you guys thought.

anyone else????
9 inch..simple..they blew the stock rear backing out of the driveway...lol. Just don't think about the mods for a second..how many people would buy a fbody to just ***** foot around? Not many people, so when looking for a car, don't be naive, think every single last car was beaten on. Sure, some aren't, but i think percentages would be in my favor. As long as the car is acting normal, what does it matter? sometimes **** just breaks anyway, so the car could be pampered all its life, then get into your hands and start acting up. If you plan on modding a car, it may be cheaper to find a modded one because mods don't add value. Specialyl with winter approaching.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:42 PM
TECH Veteran

I would much rather buy a bone stock car. My car was bone stock. But i wouldnt have a problem with a lightly modded car. (lid, catback)

I vote for "i'd rather build my own car"
Old 12-05-2006, 11:42 PM
TECH Resident

i would buy one that had just a few bolt-ons.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:31 AM
bsf
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just my $.02. If doing the work yourself is not all that important to you, I think buying a modded car can be a good deal. Generally, people do not get out of a car during a sale anywhere near what they put into it. As always, check it over well; try to get a feel for the owner; and ask lots of questions. When I was looking for my car, I was adamant about it being stock or very close to it. If I had to do it over again, I would definitely open up my search to modded cars, including H/C, but probably not nitrous. Whatever you feel comfortable with. Good luck.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:33 AM
Banned

PERSONALLY, the criteria for my car was that it have no more than bolt-ons and a stock cat-back and no cutouts. Anything that is made "louder" just tempts the driver to get their foot in it to hear it. At least my cammed up full exhaust 5.0 sure did that for me
Old 12-06-2006, 07:45 AM
Teching In

Mine had a hack job flowmaster on it, stock lid. Factory tires with very little wear, and 13,880 miles. I almost turned the car down because of the flowmaster, but I'm glad I didn't. We put a magnaflow catback on it, and ordered a lid, and it's gonna stay that way. Well...maybe an ls6 intake.

Even the low mile Firehawk forsale at a local dealer had a hack job flowmaster on it, but they only wanted $28,000
Old 12-06-2006, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes 2 bolt ons.... No to internal work/ prev. sprayed
Old 12-08-2006, 01:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BriancWS6

Main thing if you buy one modded is check it out very carefully and also ask alot of questions.

Pretty much don't turn down a great car just cause it was modded by a do it yourself guy. Talking to someone can let you know alot about their character and help you know how the car was maintained etc. Always remember, noone cares about their car more than the actual owner, and a car you want to buy from them was once that persons pride and joy (in alot of cases)
This I totally agree with. I bought my car as H/C, all the bolt-ons, gears, etc. It was nice. You save a ton of money. But like this guy mentioned, just ask a lot of questions, you can tell when someone really cares about their car and takes very well care of it. If you do buy a modded car ask about the tune and who tuned it/dyno sheets that show A/F ratio. A bad tune can be horrible on an engine!

One thing to look out for is "stock" cars. A buddy bought a car "stock" and when they opened up the motor, you could tell it was freshly back together, so you never know. I would rather buy modded, than a car that was previously modded and stuck back together in a rush.

Look on here in the for sale section. You can search the members name and get a feel for his character and whats been done/talked about. How he treats the car.

Good Luck!
Old 12-09-2006, 11:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

i enjoy modding my car to my discretion, although a slightly modified one wouldnt be bad
Old 12-09-2006, 05:42 PM
Teching In

Talking

Sad but true. LOL, i like that one!

Originally Posted by staringback05
get a totally stock car.....

itd be like taking a girl you knew your friend slept with.......