General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Former Ford faithful?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 09:44 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Originally Posted by not7fifteen
Overall after owning many mustangs and riding in both this is what I can conclude:
Get a Mustang if you want:
A more refined interior
Want a more solid car with less vibrations

My main thing about the Fbodies is the interior specifically the Camaro's, being less "put together" than the mustangs. Just look at the steering column, dash, big bulky doors, trunk...
HOWEVER, the firebird has a much better interior in my opinion and nicer stereo...
Based on my experiances, I disagree with this part of your post. I've owned Camaros and Trans Ams. I've never owned any sort of Mustang, but I've riden in or driven many, many stangs from Fox cars to early SN95s to '99+ stangs. I'd have to say that interior quality wise, they are all equal year to respective year with their F-bod counterparts. Can't really give the nod to either one over the other in terms of materials or craftsmanship. In terms of seating position/interior layout, I'd give it to the F-body hands down though.

As for T/A vs Camaro interior, actually I find the Camaro interior less "cheap" feeling. In my Trans Am, there was quite a bit more hard plastic than my Camaro. Like the door panels (more fabric on the Camaro, more hard plastic on the Trans Am), and the full hard plastic seat backs on the T/A vs fabric on the Camaro. Plus I like the Camaro gages better, with individual markings for each 100 rpm on the tach and each 1 mph on the speedo. Only place that the Trans Am wins is the more comfortable seats.

As for the audio system, I notice no difference at all between the Monsoon system in my Camaro and the one in my Trans Am. They are equal.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, silverstang00 happens to be my best friend, and the Vortech Mach 1 he's referring to beating was MINE!!! LOL. His car is crazy fast, but he's been talking about getting as LS1 for a while, specifically a Camaro SS. I use to own a 2002 Z06, and honestly, even though my Mach 1 would kill it now, I miss the Z soooooooo bad! I have been seriously considering getting back into an LS6 or even possibly an LS1. I really want a Z06 or a FRC. GM has a LOT of good things going for them in the performance department. And I sure love the sound of a cammed pushrod motor over my Modular DOHC!!! Maybe we'll both convert sometime soon. It amazes me how LS1's respond to mods. H/C package with a tune, and you've got well over 400 RWHP from what I'm seeing. That is awesome!
Old 12-14-2006, 09:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BMo99TA
I couldn't agree more, never owned a stang but considered one before I got my TA. The feel of the interior I felt like I was in my mom's Tempo! The GM's wrap around you. Makes you feel like your in a fighter jet. GOOD STUFF...
I could see this on a foxbody...
But do you think the SN95 style (94-04) are like that? If anything I felt that they do wrap around you while the Fbodies do not...
Just my opinion though.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:24 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I could see this on a foxbody...
But do you think the SN95 style (94-04) are like that? If anything I felt that they do wrap around you while the Fbodies do not...
Just my opinion though.
Odd...I never had a park bench wrap around me...
Old 12-14-2006, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

I went from a 03 Cobra to a 99 Z28. I really like my Z. Saved a lot of money payment and insurance wise. I don't regret it. I bought mine stock. Parts are a lot easier to buy and find, cause all the parts in my sig, I've bought within the two - three weeks of owning the car.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SilverStang00
My car makes well into 400 rwhp, so getting a stock Fbody will be a step down in power.
Maybe, but 3 steps up in appearance!!!

I know this is an Fbody site, but please keep the replies as non-biased as possible, and skip the Stang bashing.

I didn't say anything!

At least it is still American!
Old 12-18-2006, 10:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
Odd...I never had a park bench wrap around me...
Haha, maybe I'm confused. Are you guys talking wrap around you as in the seats? Or the feel of the Dash/console/etc.? Because I'm talking about the dash/console area so maybe thats where the difference is coming in. On seats, I'd definately give that to the Fbodies, the mustang seat does kind of feel like a taurus seat or something unless you're in a cobra. But the dash I feel has the wrap around nature like a cockpit much more. Just a difference of opinion though. Maybe when I adjust to the fbody interior a bit more I'll see it the other way?
Old 12-18-2006, 12:02 PM
Banned

Haha, maybe I'm confused. Are you guys talking wrap around you as in the seats? Or the feel of the Dash/console/etc.? Because I'm talking about the dash/console area so maybe thats where the difference is coming in. On seats, I'd definately give that to the Fbodies, the mustang seat does kind of feel like a taurus seat or something unless you're in a cobra. But the dash I feel has the wrap around nature like a cockpit much more. Just a difference of opinion though. Maybe when I adjust to the fbody interior a bit more I'll see it the other way?

Man, look at the new mustangs...uncool on the interior. I went to my old dealership and sat in a GT500. The only thing I had to say was "after sitting in this big *** overstuffed Lay-Z-Boy seat, now I know why it weighes 3900+change. Seriously. My friends 03 GT seats hurt me to sit in em longer than just a fast trip. my WS.6 and my 95 TA just wrapped around me. The interior in the TA is pretty dang nice as well, our guages dont look like toys and most of them actually WORK!
Old 01-12-2007, 01:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thought I'd bring back this thread as I now own my first F-body. Just a bolt on 99 with some spray that I haven't used, and I can tell you this, the car feels just as strong and just as much fun to drive as my turbo mustang at 9psi. No regrets at all, and I love the car, change is good!
Old 01-12-2007, 02:31 PM
Banned

The LS1 is a rediculously awesome powerplant. The F-body's MAIN advantage comes from the engine/tranny combo and its front suspension of SLA vs. the Mustang's Modified McPhearson strut. (in 05 this was corrected.)
Old 01-12-2007, 03:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Damn, you guys brought it back lol. Glad to hear you like the switch not7fifteen. I still haven't sold my Mustang, I'm kinda holdin out for a friend. You guys probably need to talk some sense into me, lately I've been wanting to get another Lightning cuz I miss my old 02 so much. Oh well, we'll see what happens.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Damn, you guys brought it back lol. Glad to hear you like the switch not7fifteen. I still haven't sold my Mustang, I'm kinda holdin out for a friend. You guys probably need to talk some sense into me, lately I've been wanting to get another Lightning cuz I miss my old 02 so much. Oh well, we'll see what happens.
Funny you mention that, I had a L also for a few months a year or so ago. It was nice and comfortable, quick (not fast), and a major gas hog. I hated filling it up then gettting 10 mpg. The only thing I miss is being able to haul the bike. Other than that it was too big, and not enough room inside, and not fast enough. And after reading up on the lightning boards i got too paranoid about it blowing up bc it seemed like someone blew one up every day on there. I kinda miss it, but i like my f-body way more than I ever liked it.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Funny you mention that, I had a L also for a few months a year or so ago. It was nice and comfortable, quick (not fast), and a major gas hog. I hated filling it up then gettting 10 mpg. The only thing I miss is being able to haul the bike. Other than that it was too big, and not enough room inside, and not fast enough. And after reading up on the lightning boards i got too paranoid about it blowing up bc it seemed like someone blew one up every day on there. I kinda miss it, but i like my f-body way more than I ever liked it.
Your right about the gas mileage thing. Driving from home to College everyday I averaged about 12-13 mpg and thats the main reason I sold it. It was fun as hell though and I agree with you on it being quick and not fast, but with just a KN filter and a catback, from a dig it would be side by side with LS1s until about 85 or so, then to start to drop back. Even still I miss it, and chicks were all over that damn truck man, that got me more action than my Stang ever has.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:00 PM
Banned

LMAO, and here I am wanting to trade my WS6 for a Mach1 when I get its latest issues tended to (random dying/cutting out while cruising around).
Old 01-13-2007, 10:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

LMAO, and here I am wanting to trade my WS6 for a Mach1 when I get its latest issues tended to (random dying/cutting out while cruising around).

When did your car start doing that? You really considering getting rid of it so soon? Thats not good to hear If your really considering a Mach, they are great cars. My friends 04 made 450 rwhp with a Vortech on low boost. The only problem is that they dont have forged internals like the Terminators.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:55 PM
Banned

When did your car start doing that? You really considering getting rid of it so soon? Thats not good to hear If your really considering a Mach, they are great cars. My friends 04 made 450 rwhp with a Vortech on low boost. The only problem is that they dont have forged internals like the Terminators.
If I could trade for a nice mach I would do it this very second. I have title in hand. Car has been a bitch since I owned it. about 1,000 miles into my ownership it just started falling apart it seems. IAC, random dying, wheelbearing, now its dying again randomly. I WANT OUT!

After I get whatever is wrong with it I would definitely be in the market to trade even with a Mach1 or any other performance vehicle that will offer similar capabilities. I probably wont go looking, but if offered 16.5K or more I would sell.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

If I could trade for a nice mach I would do it this very second. I have title in hand. Car has been a bitch since I owned it. about 1,000 miles into my ownership it just started falling apart it seems. IAC, random dying, wheelbearing, now its dying again randomly. I WANT OUT!

After I get whatever is wrong with it I would definitely be in the market to trade even with a Mach1 or any other performance vehicle that will offer similar capabilities. I probably wont go looking, but if offered 16.5K or more I would sell.
Dude, that blows , Your making me really reconsider getting a Fbody, cuz my GT hasn't had a damn thing go wrong, even after the extensive mods. I doubt you would be able to find a Mach somebody would be willing to let go for that price, most around here dont dip below 19k. Low mileage ones are still 21k plus.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:44 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Dude, that blows , Your making me really reconsider getting a Fbody, cuz my GT hasn't had a damn thing go wrong, even after the extensive mods. I doubt you would be able to find a Mach somebody would be willing to let go for that price, most around here dont dip below 19k. Low mileage ones are still 21k plus.
Don't let one example steer you away from F-bodies. Most of them run very well, just ask around on this site. Generally these cars are pretty reliable. Of course there will always be a few bad apples, but that's the case with any type of car.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:49 PM
TECH Regular

Thats weird that your having those problems with your WS6, but to the original posters question, I have a 00 Z28 with over 102k miles and havent had to replace a thing, just the normal maintenance. knock on wood...ha, I know there are a few popular problems like window motors, pcv system, etc...but those are usually easy fixes. I like the interior, you really fit in the seat and although the car is pretty high off the ground for what class it is in, you still feel very low/hugging the ground. I have poly trans mounts/motor mounts and the car does vibrate some now and rattle a tad, but thats what I expected with switching to a harder mount. But before that, Id just tighten up the bolts on the T-tops every now and then and I havent had any rattling problems. I also like how great mpg I get too, usually 20-22 mixed driving and not light footed either, for a 5.7L and weight of the car, I think it is superb.

Either the Mach or F-body would be a win imo, I like the solid launch and feel of the Mach, but the F-body fits me. Id test drive them both repeatedly and see which one fits you. Goodluck