General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Former Ford faithful?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006 | 06:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Former Ford faithful?

Hello all, I have owned nothing but Fords since I was 16 when I picked up my first F150. Im not blind to other brands, just that I always end up owning a Ford, whether I plan to or not LOL. My question is, how do some of you feel that have made the switch to GM products? Particularly those who used to own Mustangs and now have a Camaro/Firebird. I know this is an Fbody site, but please keep the replies as non-biased as possible, and skip the Stang bashing. My car makes well into 400 rwhp, so getting a stock Fbody will be a step down in power. I know stock for stock there is no comparison, I am mainly interested in how the feel of an Fbody compares to a Mustang.
Old 12-11-2006 | 07:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

i have never owned a stang though my wife loves saleens.. . but yeah man, there are a bunch of people on this site that switched from fbody to stang and stang to fbody. i honestly like them both. if i ever get this fbody paid off i looked into getting a stang to try something different. yeah no comparison a stang will get owned by an ls1. unless u got a cobra.
Old 12-11-2006 | 11:44 AM
12 Second Club

great you have seen the light. j/k for did it right with some of there cars and i like there trucks.
Old 12-11-2006 | 12:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

I like Ford trucks also, I have owned 4 of em and they all have been great, never failed on me once (3 have been well passed 130k). Ford cars I can take or leave. The only one that has anything to it is the Mustang. I like my Mustang, and being heavily modded it is ***** to the wall fast, but GTs are so common around here that I want something else. I love the look of Camaros, and the power of the LS1 is nice as well, so thats what I will be looking to get if I sell the Stang.
Old 12-11-2006 | 01:18 PM
12 Second Club
15 Year Member

I've owned 4 Mustangs and 5 F-bodies. Right now I have both an LS1 Formula and a 4.6 Mustang. I like both but my Formula feels more like a musclecar. The Mustang has a higher seating position and feels more like a typical commuter car. I am sure that is why they sold so much, but when I want a performance car I want it to feel like one. The Mustang is also lacking in the power dept. stock, but that should be remedied somewhat this spring. The Mustang is more my GF's daily driver and she likes the way it feels to drive. She still likes the Firebird, but with her being 5'3" it sits her down a little low. All in all, both are great cars and I like both, but my loyalty will always be with GM. Here's a pic of my rides:

Old 12-11-2006 | 01:32 PM
On The Tree

I started out as a hard core fox body guy. I've owned 3 fox bodies and 3 ls1 f-bodies now. I miss the simplicity of the fox body, everything is very no nonsense, from the interior to the engine bay, but I love the speed of my ls1 cars, the way they make power is incredible, I used to have to really work to squeeze every ounce of power out of my 302 when I was N/A, but my ls1 makes 302 F/I power on nuts. Also way different driving experiences. My buddy owns a 99 Cobra and he says that it feels like he's sitting in a cockpit when he's in my car. Your *** is on the ground and you can't see where your hood ends. I'm actually thinking about finding a notchback roller when spring hits.
Old 12-11-2006 | 02:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1Formulation
I've owned 4 Mustangs and 5 F-bodies. Right now I have both an LS1 Formula and a 4.6 Mustang. I like both but my Formula feels more like a musclecar. The Mustang has a higher seating position and feels more like a typical commuter car. I am sure that is why they sold so much, but when I want a performance car I want it to feel like one. The Mustang is also lacking in the power dept. stock, but that should be remedied somewhat this spring. The Mustang is more my GF's daily driver and she likes the way it feels to drive. She still likes the Firebird, but with her being 5'3" it sits her down a little low. All in all, both are great cars and I like both, but my loyalty will always be with GM. Here's a pic of my rides:

Your cars look great man. I was kinda worried about the interior of a Camaro, Im a little over 6'0 and I am in no way a small guy, but I sit pretty snug but comfy in my Mustang. How do you think it would be in the Camaro?
Old 12-11-2006 | 02:06 PM
On The Tree

You'll be just fine in the f-bod. Plenty of leg room.
Old 12-11-2006 | 02:07 PM
On The Tree

I owned a boosted stroked 2000 gt and Im glad I went ls1.
Old 12-11-2006 | 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

ive owned both. i had a 95 t/a, then i went to a 96 GT, then my 00 SS. I have to say i liked the interior of my mustang more than i do that of the camaro, but i like the way i sit in my camaro, and the way i fit in it, the shifter is in a more natural position, but the quality of the console, and what not just seems a little higher in the mustang. seemed more refined. power, no question, GM's got their **** down. the handling is tighter in the fbody. but its all close, youre not shorted one thing extremely by going with either. if you want something thats fast and then takes comfort into mind, go fbody, if you want something that you just want to look good, rides a little more forgiving and has some get up, go stang.
Old 12-11-2006 | 02:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the replies guys, I need to make up my mind and sell my car so I can go buy one LOL. And LS1Z2802, thats good to know, because I will be sacrificing some power, but Im sure when I am able to mod the Fbod it will be worth it.
Old 12-11-2006 | 02:43 PM
On The Tree

I grew up in camaros so mine is really special to me cause my dad always had them around and now I get to share it with my sons.
Old 12-11-2006 | 02:55 PM
10 Second Club

never had a stang myself, i did have a 96 ford ranger that i had from 15-19, then i bought my camaro. i dont have any regrets at all, sometimes i miss my truck, but the truck never did 13's at the track
Old 12-11-2006 | 03:08 PM
Staging Lane

I have had both with my mustang being an 03 cobra and even though it was fast I still felt like I was in a cheap car on the inside with the exception of the suede seats. The dash and controls were cheap, the seating position made me feel like I was way too high. The f-body just fits me like a glove at 6' tall and I love the n/a pull of a camed bolt on ls1. Then you spray it and it's like a little piece of heven on earth whenever you want it.
Old 12-11-2006 | 03:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SilverStang00
Hello all, I have owned nothing but Fords since I was 16 when I picked up my first F150. Im not blind to other brands, just that I always end up owning a Ford, whether I plan to or not LOL. My question is, how do some of you feel that have made the switch to GM products? Particularly those who used to own Mustangs and now have a Camaro/Firebird. I know this is an Fbody site, but please keep the replies as non-biased as possible, and skip the Stang bashing. My car makes well into 400 rwhp, so getting a stock Fbody will be a step down in power. I know stock for stock there is no comparison, I am mainly interested in how the feel of an Fbody compares to a Mustang.

I had a stock 95 Trans Am, then a fully built 88 GT (new crate motor, .542 cam, GT40Ps,all bolt-ons,TKO500 tranny,upper/lower control arms, full length subframes, tq box kit, FMS driveshaft, the works.

Now I have an 01 WS6 M6.

I worked at a ford dealership and played with teh stuff there as well.

The LS1 has a lot more power stock/stock and Soooooo much more potential for much less money (than a 4.6L) with mods. The suspension on an F-body is far superior to anything except the 05 mustangs which FINALLY have the same stuff a 93 F-body did, lol. (except I dont think they have a tq arm yet). The mustang handles like **** until 05 because of the front end suspension geometry and not using a SLA setup like hte F-body.

Aftermarket mustang suspension kits have all the parts in them that F-bodies come with from the dealer.

Oh, my LS1 got over 27mpg on part of my last road trip and around town/a little highway I get around 20-22mpg.

LS1's are more durable than 4.6's and a GM auto will rape a ford auto and the T56 is soooo much nicer than the Tremec 3650 and T45's. No clunking from 1-2 and they will take a lot more abuse and OD is very nice, I do 70 at a hair over 1500rpm.

The F-body may need a cam and some bolt-ons to = your 400+hp mustang, or you could do a rear-mount STS or whatever, but its a far superior car as a whole, kinda like saying "vette vs. F-body" Sure they have the same hp, but thats where it stops.
Old 12-11-2006 | 03:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
I had a stock 95 Trans Am, then a fully built 88 GT (new crate motor, .542 cam, GT40Ps,all bolt-ons,TKO500 tranny,upper/lower control arms, full length subframes, tq box kit, FMS driveshaft, the works.

Now I have an 01 WS6 M6.

I worked at a ford dealership and played with teh stuff there as well.

The LS1 has a lot more power stock/stock and Soooooo much more potential for much less money (than a 4.6L) with mods. The suspension on an F-body is far superior to anything except the 05 mustangs which FINALLY have the same stuff a 93 F-body did, lol. (except I dont think they have a tq arm yet). The mustang handles like **** until 05 because of the front end suspension geometry and not using a SLA setup like hte F-body.

Aftermarket mustang suspension kits have all the parts in them that F-bodies come with from the dealer.

Oh, my LS1 got over 27mpg on part of my last road trip and around town/a little highway I get around 20-22mpg.

LS1's are more durable than 4.6's and a GM auto will rape a ford auto and the T56 is soooo much nicer than the Tremec 3650 and T45's. No clunking from 1-2 and they will take a lot more abuse and OD is very nice, I do 70 at a hair over 1500rpm.

The F-body may need a cam and some bolt-ons to = your 400+hp mustang, or you could do a rear-mount STS or whatever, but its a far superior car as a whole, kinda like saying "vette vs. F-body" Sure they have the same hp, but thats where it stops.
Thanks for the reply, I take it your satisfied with your swap then huh LOL. Sounds like your 88 was pretty stout, how long did it take you to get used to you TA after being in the Mustang? And I will eventually mod what I buy to be atleast where I am now power wise, it just sucks to start at square one you know.
Old 12-11-2006 | 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

Your cars look great man. I was kinda worried about the interior of a Camaro, Im a little over 6'0 and I am in no way a small guy, but I sit pretty snug but comfy in my Mustang. How do you think it would be in the Camaro?
Im 6'8 255 pounds and I used to fit in my camaro fine
Old 12-11-2006 | 03:51 PM
Banned

Thanks for the reply, I take it your satisfied with your swap then huh LOL. Sounds like your 88 was pretty stout, how long did it take you to get used to you TA after being in the Mustang? And I will eventually mod what I buy to be atleast where I am now power wise, it just sucks to start at square one you know.
Lol, I am still a bit scared to turn Traction Control off in the WS6. My 5.0 was very neutral when the back end broke loose but my last TA felt snappy when it came loose...control arms would fix this, but the WS6 stays stock. Yeah, the WS6 would rape the snot out of my 5.0 and I am still not used to the extra hp, but I baby it

The 88 dynoed 244/262 with a 17" stainless flex fan (robbing hp all the way, lol). My WS6 should have 300whp give or take a few.

The WS6 is a much more reclined position as stated but its much more comfortable for me. I love the WS6 as its just so dang much more refined!

PS. My (former) 5.0 and the WS6 are gonna run it sometime this week/weekend if the rain here stops. Just gonna go from a 60punch because I am not interested in how well my dad can launch my old mustang and how well I have learned my new cars clutch. I want to see car for car which one has more go. I am betting all the way on the WS6. The 5.0 did however lose to a single-cab viper truck from 75-105 by only 5-10 feet, raped a C4 (looked to be LT1) vette, and pulled an 06 GT from 70-100 by 1.5 cars or so each time we ran em giving the 06 the hit. Also beat an A4 Z28 from 70-105 by 1 car (it was EFI then, carb during all the other races.) So I dont know, but the WS6 feels sooo!!!! much faster, even though the 5.0 had 4.10's.

The 5.0 weighed 35XX with me and 11 gallons of gas, the WS6 is 3540 without me and with about the same amount of gas, so 190# should NOT make up for a 60whp defecit. I say I rape the **** out of the 5.0. Will post up about it soon in the street racing section.
Old 12-11-2006 | 03:59 PM
Banned

Oh, interior? Mine is so much nicer than even the 05+ GT's in my opinion. Here is a pic for ya. Oh, as to looks, every one of my friends in highschool (before we knew crap about cars) would see a GT and go "wow...nice" but when we saw a WS6 or SS it was like "HOLY CRAP, THAT CAR WOULD RAPE LEROY! (the guy who had an 03 GT A4,lol, and talked a lot of ****). Here is my interior.

oh, and this is my car idling high while re-learning a new IAC sensor, but it shows just how much more "businesslike" guages in an F-body are, mustang guages look like toys to me.

Oh, the LS1 looks so much meaner than a 4.6 too...

Yeah...my driver seat > Leroy's 03 GT's driver seat.
Old 12-11-2006 | 04:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
Lol, I am still a bit scared to turn Traction Control off in the WS6. My 5.0 was very neutral when the back end broke loose but my last TA felt snappy when it came loose...control arms would fix this, but the WS6 stays stock. Yeah, the WS6 would rape the snot out of my 5.0 and I am still not used to the extra hp, but I baby it

The 88 dynoed 244/262 with a 17" stainless flex fan (robbing hp all the way, lol). My WS6 should have 300whp give or take a few.

The WS6 is a much more reclined position as stated but its much more comfortable for me. I love the WS6 as its just so dang much more refined!

PS. My (former) 5.0 and the WS6 are gonna run it sometime this week/weekend if the rain here stops. Just gonna go from a 60punch because I am not interested in how well my dad can launch my old mustang and how well I have learned my new cars clutch. I want to see car for car which one has more go. I am betting all the way on the WS6. The 5.0 did however lose to a single-cab viper truck from 75-105 by only 5-10 feet, raped a C4 (looked to be LT1) vette, and pulled an 06 GT from 70-100 by 1.5 cars or so each time we ran em giving the 06 the hit. Also beat an A4 Z28 from 70-105 by 1 car (it was EFI then, carb during all the other races.) So I dont know, but the WS6 feels sooo!!!! much faster, even though the 5.0 had 4.10's.

The 5.0 weighed 35XX with me and 11 gallons of gas, the WS6 is 3540 without me and with about the same amount of gas, so 190# should NOT make up for a 60whp defecit. I say I rape the **** out of the 5.0. Will post up about it soon in the street racing section.
Awesome, Im interested in the outcome of that race. The numbers seem a little low on your Mustang, but looking at the outcome on the races you had, seems like it runs just fine. Thats cool that your dad has your old car tho, atleast you can see it and drive it still, and know its in good hands. I wish my dad would do that, but he hates Fords

*Edit* Your new car looks great by the way, cant go wrong with black, on a TA=