General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

check the oil running or cold?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 01:10 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger in AZ
I can totally believe there are so many asking how to check the oil these days because you don't check the oil the same way these days, Now Camaros have a Sump in them and pump the oil into the engines and it doesn't all sit in the oil pan, and the dipstick reading will not work unless the engine is hot, and turned off for 1 minute before you check. Done any other way and you get wild readings (down 2 quarts or over filled). Forget everything you think you know about checking oil on these cars today. Not a good comment to say you can't believe there are so many, but it seemed good but not applicable now. Now, you can see why people are asking these questions.
Actually, it is your post that is out of place in this particular thread. As mentioned above, you've resurrected a thread from 2006 and then referred to it as "these days", when in fact this discussion took place ~13 years ago regarding an engine (LS1) which doesn't require any special check procedure.

While I agree that there is certainly nothing wrong with asking basic tech questions in a section such as this, I'm locking this down to avoid any future conflict between past and present applications as the timeline in this thread could make things very confusing.

Quick Reply: check the oil running or cold?