General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Reverse Switch keeps going out need help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 10:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse Switch keeps going out need help.

What's up guys, hope everyone is having a good Cinco De Mayo. So I'm having an issue with my reverse switch. It keeps going out on me. I've replaced it twice already and it fixed the issue the first time and lasted at least a 2 - 3 weeks (i drive alot) so I'm trying to figure out why it keeps going out on me. Seems that it goes out when I put it in reverse because I've replaced the fuse and everytime I put it in reverse it blows the fuse but If I don't put the car in reverse and just drive then the turn signals work. If you guys have any insight on this issue please let me know. Thank you.

Last edited by 6speedsolo.z28; 05-06-2019 at 08:31 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

What makes you think the switch is bad? Have you tested it with a volt meter or are you just going by something else like backup lights not working?
Old 05-06-2019, 12:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bammax
What makes you think the switch is bad? Have you tested it with a volt meter or are you just going by something else like backup lights not working?
Yeah pretty much my backup lights dont come on and turn signals dont work. And everytime I replace the switch they work again. So something is burning out that back up switch. Maybe its because its an o'rileys part lol
Old 05-06-2019, 12:57 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Wow, I think I would have looked at the TURN B/U fuse first rather than the switch... especially since that's just about the only thing the two circuits have in common. If the fuse keeps blowing, I would suspect a chaffed wire to the backup switch which intermittently grounds out, blowing the fuse. That would mean that replacing the switch only fixes the problem because the chaffed wire gets moved during the process. It would also mean you already have two spare switches (the ones you replaced before).
Old 05-06-2019, 01:39 PM
bsf
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Concur with sentiment already expressed: blind or mostly blind part swapping is inefficient. However, that is the extent of some individuals’ capabilities.

That being said, I only got 2K miles out of an O’Reilly-purchased BWD S9150 back-up light switch I installed in 2016.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Wow, I think I would have looked at the TURN B/U fuse first rather than the switch... especially since that's just about the only thing the two circuits have in common. If the fuse keeps blowing, I would suspect a chaffed wire to the backup switch which intermittently grounds out, blowing the fuse. That would mean that replacing the switch only fixes the problem because the chaffed wire gets moved during the process. It would also mean you already have two spare switches (the ones you replaced before).
I did check out the fuse first but when I replace the fuse and put it in reverse the fuse blows out. I'll take a look at the wire for the reverse switch today but hopefully its somewhere I can see the wire.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:24 PM
bsf
TECH Resident

Note, the switch I mentioned is the manual transmission Backup Lamp Switch, not the automatic transmission Park/Neutral Position Switch.

IIRC, that was my failure mode w/ the BWD switch also. 12V shorted to ground when switch made.

If you cannot do electrical troubleshooting w/ a trouble light or meter there is something you can try. Place ignition switch in Off position. Disconnect the connector. Jumper the LT GRN (light green) to BRN (brown) of the wiring connector, not the switch terminals. Do not damage the terminals. Replace fuse if necessary. Place ignition switch in Run position. If Backup Lamps turn on and fuse does not blow, switch is bad. If fuse blows, you will need to begin checking for a short to ground in LT GRN wire between the switch and the tail light assemblies. I think this is a valid troubleshooting approach. If I am in error, I apologize.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bsf
Note, the switch I mentioned is the manual transmission Backup Lamp Switch, not the automatic transmission Park/Neutral Position Switch.

IIRC, that was my failure mode w/ the BWD switch also. 12V shorted to ground when switch made.

If you cannot do electrical troubleshooting w/ a trouble light or meter there is something you can try. Place ignition switch in Off position. Disconnect the connector. Jumper the LT GRN (light green) to BRN (brown) of the wiring connector, not the switch terminals. Do not damage the terminals. Replace fuse if necessary. Place ignition switch in Run position. If Backup Lamps turn on and fuse does not blow, switch is bad. If fuse blows, you will need to begin checking for a short to ground in LT GRN wire between the switch and the tail light assemblies. I think this is a valid troubleshooting approach. If I am in error, I apologize.
Yeah I'm not to good with electrical but I'll have to check the ground wire probably.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:54 PM
bsf
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 6speedsolo.z28
Yeah I'm not to good with electrical but I'll have to check the ground wire probably.
????? No you do not. My instructions do not mention a ground wire.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bsf
????? No you do not. My instructions do not mention a ground wire.
Oh your right I'm sorry.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:00 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by bsf
That's not a bad idea except that the short appears to be intermittent as though it only happens when the wire moves and touches something metal. That means that you could bypass the switch with a jumper and still not have it blow the fuse because it wasn't touching metal at the time. That would lead you to replace the switch even though the wire was still the problem. If there was a dead short all the time then your method would be a good way to determine if it was wiring or the switch.

One other thing to consider is that both sides of the switch carry power (i.e. it's not a grounding switch). That means you can narrow down whether the short is before or after the switch by the behavior. If the fuse blows even though not in reverse (your turn signals stop working) then you know the short is before the backup switch somewhere in the brown wire. If the fuse only blows while in reveres then you know that the short must be after the switch somewhere in the green wire.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:25 AM
bsf
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
That's not a bad idea except that the short appears to be intermittent as though it only happens when the wire moves and touches something metal. That means that you could bypass the switch with a jumper and still not have it blow the fuse because it wasn't touching metal at the time. That would lead you to replace the switch even though the wire was still the problem. If there was a dead short all the time then your method would be a good way to determine if it was wiring or the switch.

One other thing to consider is that both sides of the switch carry power (i.e. it's not a grounding switch). That means you can narrow down whether the short is before or after the switch by the behavior. If the fuse blows even though not in reverse (your turn signals stop working) then you know the short is before the backup switch somewhere in the brown wire. If the fuse only blows while in reveres then you know that the short must be after the switch somewhere in the green wire.
I agree w/ all that. My method is an imperfect one aimed towards someone with limited troubleshooting capability.

ETA
He could just unplug the BU Lamp Switch (if M6) and drive w/o BU lamps for a while to determine if there is an intermittent short to ground in the brown wire.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:37 AM
12 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I have this same problem...... I have been replacing BU lamp switches many times and it always started working again no problem this last time I replaced the switch it has done nothing and fuse continues to blow. I will remove tail light assembly this weekend and begin to follow green wire.