General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: Keep SS or jump in C6?
Keep SS, continue driving and modding.
35.40%
Get C6, remove bolt ons depending on trade in or sale.
64.60%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Keep SS or get a C6?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 12:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say save for a while and then after you have saved up enough money for a small down payment then get a C5 Z06!! but if you still couldn't afford the payment then i say trade it....but ONLY if you have to.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Rawr256
If you are under 25 and want a vette, good luck with insurance, I looked into it about the same time as I was looking at my TA and it was almost trippled,
Vettes are cheaper than F-bodies to insure.

I'm 23 and pay $140/month on my C5 Z06.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
You would think so, but I keep meeting people that sold their F-body for a C5, then sold the C5 to get back into an F-body.

Guess there must be something about the F-body that keeps people coming back.

FWIW, I would love to get a C6 someday, but I doubt I'll be selling my Camaro to get it. At this point it's very unlikey that I'll ever own a C5 though.
I got a brand spanking new 99 TA. Had 8 miles on it when I got it. Speaking as an owner of both cars, the F-body can't even come close to comparing to the greatness that is the Vette.

Here was my TA...

I'm not trying to sound like an arrogant vette owner, but it's the truth. The vette is in a different league all together.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:40 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

I still enjoy driving my f-bodies just as much as the supercharged C6. Yes, the Corvette is a nicer vehicle inside/out, but the fun factor isn't any higher. Just the payments are.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:49 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthZ06
I got a brand spanking new 99 TA. Had 8 miles on it when I got it. Speaking as an owner of both cars, the F-body can't even come close to comparing to the greatness that is the Vette.

Here was my TA...

I'm not trying to sound like an arrogant vette owner, but it's the truth. The vette is in a different league all together.
Honestly, I'd rather have your T/A than your vette. And it's not about the money either, I could pay cash for an '02 ZO6 if I wanted one. Just a matter of preferance. I generally don't like the FRC C5s as much as a 4th gen F-body appearance wise. Now a C6 on the other hand, would be more to my liking.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 12-20-2006 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:50 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
I still enjoy driving my f-bodies just as much as the supercharged C6. Yes, the Corvette is a nicer vehicle inside/out, but the fun factor isn't any higher. Just the payments are.

Both types of cars are fun.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I say keep BOTH!! I'll be getting a Vett but will not sell my SS.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:58 PM
TECH Regular

i say get a c5 z06
Old 12-20-2006, 05:24 PM
MJK
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not trying to sound like an arrogant vette owner, but it's the truth.
Sounds more like an opinion in what YOU PERSONALLY want out of a car.

Nice TA BTW....WOW on the miles!
Old 12-20-2006, 05:54 PM
TECH Resident

This is a great post(that kinda sounds like my predicament too). All I can say after trolling the CF for the past 2 months is....this is the time to buy a C5!(C6 might be a different market right now). But the C5s...especially the Zs have come down in price like nothing else, and quite frankly, its a C5!!! I remember reading about them in 1997 and saying, wow I would kill for one!...now its possible, theyre goin for 20-30k for excellent condition cars. and this includes Zs too. If you go to the upper 20s, you have a low milage Z that is a)still fairly new, b) probably been treated like a luxo car rather than a sports car and c)this is the first yr I have seen C5s drop this low.

I have a 99 WS6 and a 99GTP. The WS6 has been babied like none other, and I WILL keep it(more like Im hoping, I love THIS car tho - It was born on the same day as me!, but the C5 experience may sway me) it took me a long time to find and its everything Ive wanted. LOL, in my totally backwards way, Im thinking of getting rid of the GTP and using the vette as a DD, then selling it in a year or two in favour of putting a downpayment on a house. But still the prospect of having a GOOD vette starts at 20k from what ive seen...and its really tempting, the only problem is that I have finally finished paying off both vehicles(as of Sept 06) and it DID take a while, and im not too sure if I would do it again.

In the end it just depends on what you want, If you love your SS, keep it, that EXACT car may never come back again. For me I have no attachment to my GTP, its a car to me, so parting with it won't even phase me, but finding another low mi WS6 with those options(especially in my neck of the woods) will be near impossible! And she was my first car to boot! GL with whatever you do!!!
Old 12-20-2006, 07:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input from all of you. Just dont know for sure.

Well Im 25 years old now. I did hate paying $300 insurance a month when I got my car. I also am a f-body lover and would choose my car over a C5 or C5 Z06. I think the new C6 is well put together and would keep me happy without modding it.

Just to add, I test drove a 07 C6 M6 today. I was happy with the power, the difference between it and mine was my car pulls with animosity while the C6 did it with more grace and everything listed above in my first post. Also got my car trade in value appraised at $10,000, but told the guy I would remove my bolt ons($8000 worth) if that was the case. He did say good idea since the dealership could care less about modding. Also another, thing to look at is that when I blew my engine that alone was going to cost me about $4000-5000 just because I would of had to do it to get my car running. So now Im sitting on the idea of if I should make the move or not.

StealthZ06 I got to get in on your insurance company.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

keep the ss and get a c5
Old 12-20-2006, 09:54 PM
Staging Lane

Everybody dont bother posting anymore...hes all talk and no show...hes been talking about this for months now...mark my words... he'll be driving the SS around this time next year
Old 12-20-2006, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rob2269
Everybody dont bother posting anymore...hes all talk and no show...hes been talking about this for months now...mark my words... he'll be driving the SS around this time next year

This coming from a guy who traded in his 97 RS Camaro with ram air hood for his C5. He is just hating because my car pulled on his C5 then and it pulls on him now. And I warned him on his huge cam choice on his DD, MS4, going on shortly.

Yes been thinking for awhile, just dont want to jump the gun. Just for what it is worth I never ever taken my car to the track, the more and more I think about it, I'm definitely more about pulling lateral g's.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:39 PM
Launching!

Vettes are cheaper than F-bodies to insure.

I'm 23 and pay $140/month on my C5 Z06.
What!!!!!

Your Z06 (assuming you bought it new) was more expensive than an SS or WS6 if we based all three on the same model year. It outperforms both the SS and WS6. The repair costs (if you get into an accident) for the Z06 are higher than the f-body.

Hmmm...... a more expensive and powerful car is cheaper to ensure than one that is less expensive and less powerful? (Again if we keep this to just 2dr coupes).

Maybe your situation was a special case, but vettes are indeed more expensive to ensure than f-bodies - especially considering your age which is taken into account for determining the insurance premium.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have heard of this, but I cant say for sure that the vettes are cheaper to insure because they will be taken care of and not be driven everyday.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say keep the SS and when your done with school and work full time get the C6. But i would not get rid of the SS. I want a c6 in the future but i will try to have both. Just wait until u can afford the C6 because your SS is sick.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay, how about getting into a GTO. If I could pick it up for just somewhere under 30 G's. Would that be a better route? I might have something here......what do you all think? Damn, then I could put my true duals with sweet thunders back on my car. I still I would be able to keep my SS.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:22 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Doomsday
Okay, how about getting into a GTO. If I could pick it up for just somewhere under 30 G's. Would that be a better route? I might have something here......what do you all think? Damn, then I could put my true duals with sweet thunders back on my car. I still I would be able to keep my SS.
Sounds like a good plan.

Personally, I'd much rather have a GTO for daily driving with the SS for the weekend rather than just having one C6 for everything.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^yeah I think Im gonna have to agree with you on that....but if it was a C6 Z06 then I would have to take that!