General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: Keep SS or jump in C6?
Keep SS, continue driving and modding.
35.40%
Get C6, remove bolt ons depending on trade in or sale.
64.60%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Keep SS or get a C6?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 11:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Keep SS or get a C6?

Well, I have had my SS for 5 years from nearly stock to cammed to 408. I'm possibly thinking of switching over to a C6. I didn't plan on driving it daily, but after selling my bikes(I'm better of w/out them) all have to drive is my car. Just to rough of a ride for me now and would like to stick with a LSX without downgrading. I can do without exhaust fumes, loud exhaust, choppy idle, etc. Just put a 408 because I blew my engine and thought it be a good time to upgrade then.
My car is paid off by the way, but would have to trade or sell to get into a C6 financially happy. Also, I would be pulling my supporting bolt ons if I trade it in, but would not go on the vette.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:05 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

The C6 ride isnt a cadilliac by any means....I say stick with whatch got! Sounds like a monster anyhow!
Old 12-20-2006, 12:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Get the vette!

Youll be modding it before long...trust me
Old 12-20-2006, 12:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

I was in the same situation in 2005 and decided to keep the SS.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This can't be serious, Vette > F-body!
Old 12-20-2006, 12:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Trust
This can't be serious, Vette > F-body!

I am serious, my car is a beast.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:24 AM
MJK
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its as simple as what do you want to do?

If you are not sure,then do not make a move at all until you know what you want.When you KNOW what you want to do,and you in no way feel like you are on the fence...there is no more question.

It is that simple.Unless there are other personal details and issues that I'm not aware of,thats how I see it.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Keep the SS! I've heard this plenty of times, but if you put the money in your SS that your gonna spend on the vette then you'll have a SUPER FAST CAR!
Old 12-20-2006, 12:45 AM
TECH Resident

The vette is a better car in every way. I owned a brand new 99 TA, and I love f-bodies, but seriously the vette is in a completely different league.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:52 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been thinking the same thing, sell the SS and get a C6, I started pricing mods for the C6 and that made my decision. The exhaust components alone that I want would be 3k plus. No thanks.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

FWIW I own both but the Vette is a C5 and prefer the SS.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how bout ya keep that 408 from your SS, buy a good body C5, swap engines, sell the SS.

good compromise.
good performance upgrade.
corvette.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:34 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

I'd keep the SS. But that's because I'm an F-body fan first and foremost.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:15 AM
Staging Lane

Love the f-body (obviously), but the C6 is a world-class car. If you can get one optioned the way you want without causing financial stress. I'd say go for it.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree ^ Get the C6 if it won't cause you too much financial stress. It's a much smoother ride and, like people have said, a step up from an f-body, and that sounds like what you want. Goodluck.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by black00TA
how bout ya keep that 408 from your SS, buy a good body C5, swap engines, sell the SS.

good compromise.
good performance upgrade.
corvette.
Then I would be back in having a rough car. The thing is I could still spend $10,000 easy on my car, susp, brakes, chassis, nitrous, etc. but I would still have a all out car as a DD. I did get a 06 Cobalt as a DD to keep my SS, but when I had been driving my car and bikes, there is a very noticeable lack performance for me I cant be without. I ended up turning it back in when after 3 days of getting paperwork ready to sign the dealer attempted to be sneaky and move the interest after both the sales guy and I signed an agreed deal.

In all, I like my car, but it can be a pain day in and day out. I would definitely keep it if I worked like I use too, Im back in school full-time with my full time job, but I don't work more than 40-45 hours. I think school is the better choice in the long run rather than working OT & stacking cash. My actual motivation is cars Z06, M5, M6, etc to keep working hard at school rather than work. I need something more comfortable, fast, somewhat luxurious and at the sametime keep me sane. Once I put it all together I start running into $40,000 plus cars, and don't want to do it leaving the LSX crowd. So C6? maybe a CTS-V aint bad either. Some of you might know where I'm coming from after heavily modifying your car. There is still a sportbike rider in me that also loves the twisties.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

keep SS for now, then trade it in once you graduate

good present to yourself, a C6 present!
Old 12-20-2006, 12:20 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthZ06
The vette is a better car in every way.
You would think so, but I keep meeting people that sold their F-body for a C5, then sold the C5 to get back into an F-body.

Guess there must be something about the F-body that keeps people coming back.

FWIW, I would love to get a C6 someday, but I doubt I'll be selling my Camaro to get it. At this point it's very unlikey that I'll ever own a C5 though.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Once I hear the word school, I generally think of someone younger than 25, mainly because I am and I can't see myself going to school after 25, unless forced to for financial reasons or career change.

If you are under 25 and want a vette, good luck with insurance, I looked into it about the same time as I was looking at my TA and it was almost trippled, and that was with my wife as a primary driver and a clean record. I pay more on my insurnace for my GTP than we do on our TA because I am the primary driver, and wear a size 14 shoe.

I would keep the car, if it is paid for why get rid of it? It's yours... I for one hate payments, everytime you get a paycheck you just see a good chunk of it disappear, no not to taxes either!

Get a beater car, put away the thirst for speed and save it up for the weekend... For the winter I have been driving my dad's old Grand Am and my wife has been driving her Probe, due to someone rear ending the Probe I pulled my GTP out of the garage and love driving it, it feels damned fast, low temps really help give it a bit more boost and eliminate any knock there could be. I drive it whenever I get the chance now. I can't imagine what it will be like when I pull my TA out of storage in 3 or 4 months, it will be like I just bought the car again and love the step up from my GTP in the power area.

Get a cheap beater car. If you want some speed and comfort look at a late 90's GTP. They arent equipped like a LS1 out of the factory but they ride nice, feel nice, and are enough to fight off a good majority of what you see on the road, drop a pully on and eat the ocassional stock Mustang GT if you want.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Doomsday
In all, I like my car, but it can be a pain day in and day out... I need something more comfortable, fast, somewhat luxurious and at the sametime keep me sane. Once I put it all together I start running into $40,000 plus cars, and don't want to do it leaving the LSX crowd. So C6? maybe a CTS-V aint bad either. Some of you might know where I'm coming from after heavily modifying your car. There is still a sportbike rider in me that also loves the twisties.
I too am a sportbike rider (still). Personally, I would buy a 4 door luxury car with good performance. This would allow you to keep the fbody for real performance, and have a comfortable car that can carry 4 people when you need to.
This is what I did (although it is not a luxury car) and I have never regretted it.