General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Dump the LS1 for a Mach1??? Need insights

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think the black mach 1 look best. but i wouldnt dump my fbody unless it was something for sure faster like the cobras.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
i think the black mach 1 look best. but i wouldnt dump my fbody unless it was something for sure faster like the cobras.
Concur, I like the Mach 1 but I feel it would just be a wash. I don't do Fords, but you have to do what is best for the you. The Mach would not be a bad choice if you had to do it. I would hold out for an 03 or 04 Cobra though if you are going to do it.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

Well u didnt post much info on the LS1.. other then the bad stuff... probably would be cheaper just to fix the car he has if he likes it.. Only good thing he will get for trading is a car with a warranty if his tranny and rear end is going out he must be pretty hard on the vehicle so dont expect the mach 1 to be superman and handle the stuff any better.. I would like to know why the car is being sold for about 2 grand under retail tho... Most mach 1s around here go for 25+ with miles under 50k.. and on KBB the suggested retail for 10k miles is 20.5k
Old 12-25-2006, 11:13 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys are missing the BOAT! This car has 10K miles compared to his busted high-mile LS1 car. Its also 4 years newer and its a STEAL! Sure, the LS1 may me a mph faster and a few tenths quicker, but like said, if he leaves them both "stock" it wont matter all that much and look at the condition of both cars...Hell, if he doesn't like the Mach he can sell it the next day for a profit and go get another LS1.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hypnotiq
Well u didnt post much info on the LS1.. other then the bad stuff... probably would be cheaper just to fix the car he has if he likes it.. Only good thing he will get for trading is a car with a warranty if his tranny and rear end is going out he must be pretty hard on the vehicle so dont expect the mach 1 to be superman and handle the stuff any better.. I would like to know why the car is being sold for about 2 grand under retail tho... Most mach 1s around here go for 25+ with miles under 50k.. and on KBB the suggested retail for 10k miles is 20.5k
My WS6 was bought 5K under retail. I payed 12K for it, black/black M6, 72K miles and in IMMACULATE SHAPE! BONE STOCK NEVER MODDED window sticker and owners manual included.

I have:

Fixed VATS, replaced IAC, changed wheel bearings.

The VATS was the only problem occuring WHEN I BOUGHT the car. The seller (Dealer) told me he thought fuel pump. Turned out to be a loose connection with the VATS, dealership fixed for free since they never "found" the problem. I think it was a loose connecter that they plugged in correctly when playing with the column.

Check the car out, take it to a mechanic, if the Mach checks out, GO FOR IT! You dont like her...sell and go LS1 again, you can MAKE some $$
Old 12-25-2006, 11:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
listen to this guy, he may not be very handy in the GM world, but in ford land he knows ****!

I changed my IAC and my oil and would have changed my AIR check valve ALL BY MYSELF! (it required a stilson wrench and my dad tended to it b/c I had to do other stuff that day and I just used the 5.0 while he messed w/it.)

Oh...I can insert/remove T-tops properly too! (looked it up in the manual first, lmao, weaksauce)

Meh, I love GM's, my 95 TA that I had before the GT was awesome. I was an ******* about the PCV valve. Rolled up to a shop and acted as mcuh like a preppy retard with $$$$$$$$$$ as I could and said "ummm, can you guys change my Pee See Vee valve for me? How much?" *grin, chuckle* sure son! $5!!! *greedy palm extended*

rewind 1 hour...

Me cursing and prying away at stuff under the hood trying to get to the LT1 PCV on a 95 TA with cruise control cables and crap.

Fast foreward 1 hour and 10 minutes...

Mechanic doing the same thing at closing time, took 30 minutes, lots of tools dropped under the hood and fished out and copious amounts of cursing and one smiling ******* watching
Old 12-26-2006, 12:34 AM
TECH Veteran

i can do the PCV in 2 min, inluding a trip to drain the sea monster

my air check valve is ticking really loud on idle so im gonna replace it... or better yet yank it out for my LTs.

yea, t tops are the tricky ******* on an f body, the manual helps, but its not like learning how to insert your **** into a tight *****, no manual on earth would save you

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
I changed my IAC and my oil and would have changed my AIR check valve ALL BY MYSELF! (it required a stilson wrench and my dad tended to it b/c I had to do other stuff that day and I just used the 5.0 while he messed w/it.)

Oh...I can insert/remove T-tops properly too! (looked it up in the manual first, lmao, weaksauce)

Meh, I love GM's, my 95 TA that I had before the GT was awesome. I was an ******* about the PCV valve. Rolled up to a shop and acted as mcuh like a preppy retard with $$$$$$$$$$ as I could and said "ummm, can you guys change my Pee See Vee valve for me? How much?" *grin, chuckle* sure son! $5!!! *greedy palm extended*

rewind 1 hour...

Me cursing and prying away at stuff under the hood trying to get to the LT1 PCV on a 95 TA with cruise control cables and crap.

Fast foreward 1 hour and 10 minutes...

Mechanic doing the same thing at closing time, took 30 minutes, lots of tools dropped under the hood and fished out and copious amounts of cursing and one smiling ******* watching
Old 12-26-2006, 12:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

i wouldnt mind the trade. if its power youre looking for, obviously id stay ls1, but the mach is a fun car to drive (M5 im tlaking, never driven an auto). it sounds awesome, they look great and the interior is more refined, definitely not a huge loss if any.
Old 12-26-2006, 01:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
i can do the PCV in 2 min, inluding a trip to drain the sea monster

my air check valve is ticking really loud on idle so im gonna replace it... or better yet yank it out for my LTs.

yea, t tops are the tricky ******* on an f body, the manual helps, but its not like learning how to insert your **** into a tight *****, no manual on earth would save you

My car was different, had a cover on stuff and everything. It took the shop 30 minutes and they had to stay overtime and it involved a lot of cursing and fishing dropped tools out of my engine bay. I am sure that a shop could do it in 5 if you could in 2. Must have been very different.
Old 12-26-2006, 01:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Swang
i wouldnt mind the trade. if its power youre looking for, obviously id stay ls1, but the mach is a fun car to drive (M5 im tlaking, never driven an auto). it sounds awesome, they look great and the interior is more refined, definitely not a huge loss if any.
No thanks, i would take my WS6 interior.
Old 12-26-2006, 01:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I almost bought a Mach before my car. But they wanted to much for it, I wanted something new (had an 88 Gt vert, and my dad has a 95 Gt vert). Plus around here, late 4th gen T/As are hard to come by, while Mustangs are everywhere. And I wanted this car for about 8 years lol.
Old 12-26-2006, 01:26 AM
TECH Veteran

must have been some remedials working there if it takes alot of tools to get to a PCV valve.

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
My car was different, had a cover on stuff and everything. It took the shop 30 minutes and they had to stay overtime and it involved a lot of cursing and fishing dropped tools out of my engine bay. I am sure that a shop could do it in 5 if you could in 2. Must have been very different.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:18 AM
12 Second Club

i think ive convinced him to get a better rear end, maybe a 12bolt and 9inch, and get a built up tranny and you will be set with all the weak parts of our f-bodies. I told him all that would be about 3500-4500 and thats much better than getting a mustang (even tho mach1's are nice), but they too, have their faulties as well... so i think hes sticking with the ls1 fbody!!!!!!!!
Old 12-27-2006, 04:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1fastz
i think ive convinced him to get a better rear end, maybe a 12bolt and 9inch, and get a built up tranny and you will be set with all the weak parts of our f-bodies. I told him all that would be about 3500-4500 and thats much better than getting a mustang (even tho mach1's are nice), but they too, have their faulties as well... so i think hes sticking with the ls1 fbody!!!!!!!!
Thats good to hear!
Old 12-27-2006, 02:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would def like to own a Mach1
Old 12-27-2006, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

I don't se what the big deal is about the mach 1. I've watched several of them at the strip and they all have run mid 14's bone stock.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LorcinLs1
I don't se what the big deal is about the mach 1. I've watched several of them at the strip and they all have run mid 14's bone stock.
That's really not safe, I dont think quadroplegics should be allowed to race.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 12-27-2006, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KameleonTransAm
as am i. my buddy's 04 with an o/r H and cold air has beat several ls1's on his stock gatorbacks after being jumped by 2 cars off the line. I got respect for mach's. Theyre dangerous. i've never raced him because we have a truce because we know we would both start spending more money than we need to if one of us lost.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

For the price I would trade. A friend of mine has a mach and its nice as hell, Sounds sooo good, nice interior, Fun car to have.