General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Plates already owning me :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 06:07 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JNSE06
On FI thirdgens there is an oil psi sensor if it reads near 0 psi will cut power to the pump so as to save the motor if the oil pump dies. I don't know if LS1's would have this feature but if they do I know if the sensor is going bad or the wires have a short it could cut out on you. My friends T/A did the same thing on hard turns and decel, it was way low on oil and when the oil sloshed away from the pickup the car would die, no codes. I doubt GM removed this safety feature for newer motors, but I am new to LS1's so don't flame me!
Oil level and pressure are fine. I also looked at the sending unit and it looked okay to me. No frayed/burned wires.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But the sensor that monitors this is different than the guage sender, on thirds it is located next the oil filter I believe, wouldn't matter if oil was all there, if sender is bad, it will still kill the pump
Old 01-13-2007, 06:36 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
WHy does it pull clean to redline if its clogged?
Not saying it's clogged in this case, but as a point of referance, even if the filter has been recently changed one bad tank of gas can screw it up.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JNSE06
But the sensor that monitors this is different than the guage sender, on thirds it is located next the oil filter I believe, wouldn't matter if oil was all there, if sender is bad, it will still kill the pump
In the oil-pan that would be the level sensor.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:25 PM
Teching In

Try and see if there is a sensor next to the oil filter; I am not talking about the level or psi sender, this is a fuel pump cutoff sensor that guages oil psi, it's only purpose is to cut out the fuel pump if you lose pressure again if it goes bad it will shut the pump off. Do you have a repair manual?
Old 01-13-2007, 09:26 PM
TECH Veteran

i know what it is!

its your opti!

Old 01-13-2007, 09:28 PM
Teching In

It is called an oil pressure switch, on LS1's it could be integrated into the main oil psi sending unit, either way you should check it out.
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...witch%2fSender
Old 01-13-2007, 09:29 PM
TECH Addict

A Coolant Temperature Sensor could also give the same symptoms, if it was grounding out and making the PCM think it was overheating it'd just shut off with no codes. Just a thought on it as there was a bulletin about the sensor breaking apart and giving false reading.
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
i know what it is!

its your opti!

I think his car would run better if it came with one of those Vette engines.
Teching In

Temp sensor.... could be
Old 01-13-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

I think his car would run better if it came with one of those Vette engines.

yea, too bad he doesnt have coil on plug ignt.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
yea, too bad he doesnt have coil on plug ignt.
I wish I did, the new fords have it, bastards
Old 01-14-2007, 12:37 AM
TECH Veteran

I wish I did, the new fords have it, bastards
you can always do this to your car. if the car ***** with you, you **** with it!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=V9mcvjMoWFg
Old 01-14-2007, 12:51 AM
12 Second Club

I had a similar problem once in my car. Also had starting issues where it would not do anything when i tried to start it and then out of the blue it would fire up as normal. Anyway, there are 2 large fuses (relays maybe) in your fuse block under the hood. They are grey in color are square. Theres 2 of them right next to each other, and both use the same relay. Try replacing them. One is the starter which was causing my starting issues, and the other was the one that was hosing my car while it was driving. Check and see if that might help?
Old 01-14-2007, 12:53 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Justin01SS
Anyway, there are 2 large fuses (relays maybe) in your fuse block under the hood. They are grey in color are square. Theres 2 of them right next to each other, and both use the same relay. Try replacing them. One is the starter which was causing my starting issues, and the other was the one that was hosing my car while it was driving. Check and see if that might help?
That would be the fuel pump relay. This is the one I mentioned replacing earlier in this thread.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Justin01SS
I had a similar problem once in my car. Also had starting issues where it would not do anything when i tried to start it and then out of the blue it would fire up as normal. Anyway, there are 2 large fuses (relays maybe) in your fuse block under the hood. They are grey in color are square. Theres 2 of them right next to each other, and both use the same relay. Try replacing them. One is the starter which was causing my starting issues, and the other was the one that was hosing my car while it was driving. Check and see if that might help?
HOLY CRAP! mine had the same starting issue, it wouldnt just not start, it wouldnt do A THING! I will try this! (I will swap the A/C with the FPR and see if that fixes it and makes my A/C jittery, lol)

As to the killing with a burnout. I have never even spun a tire intentionally in dry weather and only 2x in wet just to test the posi. One before and once after the wheel-bearings were done. I am so easy on this car its crazy, I only get on it from a roll and touch redline maybe once in a blue moon.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:19 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

BLKWS.6..... have you noticed how much attention your "problem" threads always seem to get? It's like we're all doing our best to get your satanmobile road worthy so you can start enjoying what the LS1 has to offer and not constantly thinking about selling it.

I really hope you get this thing fixed once and for all. I'd like to hear about you having some fun for a change rather than always having to worry. Good luck man.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
BLKWS.6..... have you noticed how much attention your "problem" threads always seem to get? It's like we're all doing our best to get your satanmobile road worthy so you can start enjoying what the LS1 has to offer and not constantly thinking about selling it.

I really hope you get this thing fixed once and for all. I'd like to hear about you having some fun for a change rather than always having to worry. Good luck man.

Yeah, i may crack on GM but never you guys. 99.9% of you only have good stuff/advice to give and I am grateful for your time/energies. I just lurked on this site for years and finally got what everyone raves about, top of the F-body line minus limited edition stuff, black/black 6-speed WS6 with all the LS6 goodies and every option. Nothing but **** with it. It really gets to me and makes me mad you know? I know it shouldnt, and if it was simple stuff that I could fix, like a coil pack, or like an AIT sensor or something, I would be cool about it, but its random dying with no cause and crap like that that really pisses me off.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:26 AM
Banned

IS there a common ground for that box that holds the starter, fp relay, ect? Is the Trac-Control routed through there as well? Sometimes (only 2x ever) my trac-control light comes on and I cant turn the TC function back on until I re-start the car. Maybe a ground to that cluster of stuff has an issue? I dunno. Confused*
Old 01-14-2007, 02:40 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

I just lurked on this site for years and finally got what everyone raves about, top of the F-body line minus limited edition stuff, black/black 6-speed WS6 with all the LS6 goodies and every option. Nothing but **** with it. It really gets to me and makes me mad you know?
I understand.

I truely does suck when you buy your dream car and it gives you problems. Trust me, I've been through stuff like that before; sometimes it's been plain bad luck/beyond my control, but often it was my own fault for making bad choices on mods here and there as I was learning. I understand that with your situation it's really not your fault at all. Sorry about the bad luck lately.

Let me tell you, I'm a perfectionist. I truely try my best to make everything with my cars perfect all the time, and when it's not it drives me nuts.... like loss of sleep type nuts; I'll think about it constantly till I figure something out. But I just try to tell myself that these are cars, and no car is perfect, however I still try my best to make 'em as perfect as I can.

I know you're not really shooting for perfection here, that you just want the car to run right, and I can understand how frustrating that is. I've had one or two "problem" cars before; cars that I really wanted to be perfect. But it just didn't happen.

I hope your car comes together for you....