General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Plates already owning me :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 10:28 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
I think it may be my TPS. It just decided to kill me tonight, lol. Ideas? It is a $36 part.
TPS is certainly a possibility. If you can get it for $36 it wouldn't hurt to try. That's pretty cheap really.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:46 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had plenty of fuel (5/6tank by the guage and the miles on that tank).

It could be MAF, but I doubt it.

I think its TPS because of the fact that every now and then on a particularly humid day/week the rpms still like to slowly rise up to 2500ish or so, also, if the TPS were to be cutting out, that would explain why no backfires or other drama, its simply getting NO(or little) fuel/spark.
It feels EXACTLY like I just side-stepped the gas pedal and then got back on it. In NO WAY does it differ from what doing this would produce.
I will probably buy a new one tonight, do you think its an "in stock" part?

Last edited by BLKWS.6; 01-13-2007 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:47 AM
Banned

PS. at autozone/O'reilys its a $32-58 part depending on brand. Borg/Warner is the $$, I will get what is in stock.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ussually missing or hesitation in a pull like up a hill means ignition trouble. How old are your plugs? Seems to me like the computer couldnt really tell if the plug actually lit off the fuel mixture.

Last edited by Y2K Z28; 01-13-2007 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:50 PM
Banned

UPDATE: New TPS, throttle response seems a WEEEEeee better (or maybe im just wishing) but the problem is unchanged. Fuel filter gets pulled tomorrow morning.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Y2K Z28
Ussually missing or hesitation in a pull like up a hill means ignition trouble. How old are your plugs? Seems to me like the computer couldnt really tell if the plug actually lit off the fuel mixture.
It isn't missing, it just flat DIES. I almost got rear-ended 2 times today b/c of it. No sputter, just flatline, sometimes comes back, sometimes doesn't.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:01 PM
TECH Addict

That sounds more like how it is when fuel is cut off. A quick romp to the rev limiter should yield a similar experience albeit more dramatic since you are accelerating then all of a sudden it's not accelerating.

I would diagnose all avenues regarding the fuel system. filter is easy, then check relays, fuses and finally "listen" for the the sound of the fuel pump. When you prime the system, it takes around 30 sec before you can prime it a second time mind you.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SladeX
That sounds more like how it is when fuel is cut off. A quick romp to the rev limiter should yield a similar experience albeit more dramatic since you are accelerating then all of a sudden it's not accelerating.

I would diagnose all avenues regarding the fuel system. filter is easy, then check relays, fuses and finally "listen" for the the sound of the fuel pump. When you prime the system, it takes around 30 sec before you can prime it a second time mind you.
I listened when I left GM after the TPS install, fuel pump primed just fine it sounded. What fuzes/relays are you talking about? Help?

The fuel filter only has 5-6K miles on it. Car pulls HARD! up to 6K, tried it today, so I doubt anything is "stopped up". It just DIES intermittantly, and yes, I am pretty sure it is fuel related.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you had GM put the TPS in?!?!
Old 01-13-2007, 02:48 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Fuel pump relay is in the fuse block under the hood on the driver's side. I've heard of them going bad before, but usually that creates a hard starting issue rather than cutting out under load.

But the relay isn't too costly, and it's a super easy job to replace (takes more time to replace an air filter). Might want to swap it out.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
you had GM put the TPS in?!?!
No, I bring this POS up there often enough that they let me barrow their tools (I lack a set of Torx bits... I know I know, get some myself and stop mooching off of GM) and install the damn thing myself. (Oddly their TPS was cheaper than the one listed by Autozone, at least the Borg/Warner one, which im sure is on-par with GM's TPS quality-wise.)

LMAO, the other day the receptionist joked about building me a cubicle so I could just stay there. All the people know me/my car by site, its great. I will say one thing about GM, or at least THIS DEALERSHIP. They are a pleasure to deal with and are damn polite/helpful!
Old 01-13-2007, 02:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Fuel pump relay is in the fuse block under the hood on the driver's side. I've heard of them going bad before, but usually that creates a hard starting issue rather than cutting out under load.

But the relay isn't too costly, and it's a super easy job to replace (takes more time to replace an air filter). Might want to swap it out.
Oh the bitch was hard to start too! (on the last occasion that it died, tried starting multiple times, then just got out, locked it, called my Dad, and as a last effort got in...cranked right up.) But it NORMALLY isnt...wierd. I will check it out! Is it dealer-only or will autozone stock?
Old 01-13-2007, 02:59 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Oh the bitch was hard to start too! (on the last occasion that it died) But it NORMALLY isnt...wierd. I will check it out! Is it dealer-only or will autozone stock?
I've never personally bought one before, so I'm really not sure if autozone has 'em or not. But I remember seeing the receipt for one from GM and it wasn't very much. I takes about 5 seconds to swap it out. Popping the hood should be the longest part of the job.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I've never personally bought one before, so I'm really not sure if autozone has 'em or not. But I remember seeing the receipt for one from GM and it wasn't very much. I takes about 5 seconds to swap it out. Popping the hood should be the longest part of the job.
I will see it AZ has it tonight or tomorrow when I go to buy the fuel-filter.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Meh, this just is teh suck If it is a plug-wire I should get a misfire code. I dunno what to think. I cant see 1 plug wire killing the motor. or destroying power TOTALLY intermittantly (I.e. not even enough power left to cruise in 6th at 65).
No code for me, but mine just had a stutter at about 1600 rpm. It sounds like it is getting worse in your case, and having starting issues, you may want to check your fuel presure to see if your fuel pump is going.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by blue02formula
No code for me, but mine just had a stutter at about 1600 rpm. It sounds like it is getting worse in your case, and having starting issues, you may want to check your fuel presure to see if your fuel pump is going.
The first time it pulled this crap they checked it. 58psi idle, 54psi WOT. There is no stutter, just on and off. Dead or alive, I or 0.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:53 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

The first time it pulled this crap they checked it. 58psi idle, 54psi WOT. There is no stutter, just on and off. Dead or alive, I or 0.
Knowing your symptoms, I would DEFINITELY change out the FP relay and fuel filter (just as you're planing to do) before even thinging about doing a fuel pump swap.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:04 PM
Banned

I will only do a fuel pump swap after the pistol is to my head.

PS. the 58/54 PSI was STEADY, no fluctuation, they left it hooked up for a while and when it got hot it did not waver.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will only do a fuel pump swap after the pistol is to my head.

PS. the 58/54 PSI was STEADY, no fluctuation, they left it hooked up for a while and when it got hot it did not waver.
Its not bad if you make a access panel, I just did mine it seems to run at 62psi. When it died on me at 73 mph on the highway it went down to 20psi. If it was a TPS I would think it would throw a code. I don't know, you got me puzzled. Good luck.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by blue02formula
Its not bad if you make a access panel, I just did mine it seems to run at 62psi. When it died on me at 73 mph on the highway it went down to 20psi. If it was a TPS I would think it would throw a code. I don't know, you got me puzzled. Good luck.
I unplugged the TPS with the car running...no code. 58 PSI is what the stock fuel pressure is set at on an LS1. It was taken after the regulator and thus this is correct The GM dealership said my pump was all gravy. I am not cutting holes in my car either.